The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 21:32:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Choosing an oil cooler
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Choosing an oil cooler  (Read 4316 times)
Mike P

« on: January 25, 2017, 06:06:44 am »

I'm close to having everything to start assembly of my new notchback motor and am curious as to experiences you guys have had with external oil coolers.  General specs for the motor are 90.5x 78 with a WebCam 86b, Steve Tims stage 2 heads, 44 DCNF's with 36mm venturis, and compression will be set right around 9.0:1.  The case is full flowed in addition to the factory doghouse size T-3 cooler.  The car will also have a Berg 5 speed with a 3.88 R&P, 3.75 1st, 2.25 2nd, 1.58 3rd, 1.14 4th, and .089 5th running a 26 inch tall tire.

I was leaning towards a Setrab "Fan pack" cooler set up but having no experience with them am unsure as to what series (series 6 or series 9) would be best suited to my combination.  In addition to the respective series how many row cooler is also making my head spin.  What are your guys' thoughts for additional cooling?

Thanks for your input.
Mike P

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:16:05 am »

Forgot to add, primary use for the car is going to be a frequent but not daily driver that may see the occasional sprint down the 1/4 mile.

Thanks
UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 21:57:12 pm »

Run the car without first, you may not need one.

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 23:13:03 pm »

Didn't your '60 have a Setrab?

I would attest the ability to drive my car in high summer here to the addition of the Setrab on my car.
Mike P

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 05:36:25 am »

UO-my main concern is getting it mounted while I've got the gear box out and am able to get things mounted and routed properly.  Given what I'm wanting out of the car and knowing of similar combos in my area the car will most likely need a cooler.

Jim-I never got around to getting a Setrab before wrecking and selling off the '60.  It only had a 72 plate Mesa that ended up popping so I eliminated it and just ran the full flow to the filter and back.  After talking with John L. I think I've settled on the dual fan Series 9-20 row (pn FP920M221).  That's what he said he remembered buying for his '66 and seems to work well for him.  If you've got any other ideas or recommendations I'm all ears.

Thanks guys.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 19:54:37 pm »

Jim-I never got around to getting a Setrab before wrecking and selling off the '60.  It only had a 72 plate Mesa that ended up popping so I eliminated it and just ran the full flow to the filter and back.  After talking with John L. I think I've settled on the dual fan Series 9-20 row (pn FP920M221).  That's what he said he remembered buying for his '66 and seems to work well for him.  If you've got any other ideas or recommendations I'm all ears.

Thanks guys.

I think you're a smart man to use it. I built ducting for mine that grabs cold air from under RH torsion tube and directs it to fans via Volvo preheater 50mm hoses. I only turn on fans if the oil temp indicates 180F on the gauge, and it's a warm-hot day out.

Be sure your rear bypass spring is set to VW specified tolerance.

Jim
Mike P

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:59:53 am »

Jim-Thanks, I was planing on running the fans off of Setrab's inline 180* thermostat and backing it up with a toggle just incase the thermostat switch craps out.  Of the top of your head what should the spring tension be at standard seated depth?  Would you recommend using one of the O.P. boost kits like I remember using for the '60's 2275?  I'm planning on running, and already have, a Berg 26mm full flow modified pump.

Thanks for your help
Mike
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 16:17:29 pm »

Jim-Thanks, I was planing on running the fans off of Setrab's inline 180* thermostat and backing it up with a toggle just incase the thermostat switch craps out.  Of the top of your head what should the spring tension be at standard seated depth?  Would you recommend using one of the O.P. boost kits like I remember using for the '60's 2275?  I'm planning on running, and already have, a Berg 26mm full flow modified pump.

Thanks for your help
Mike

Find a Without Guesswork Book. It's good to have one when building your engine.
Bruce

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 11:12:02 am »

Would you recommend using one of the O.P. boost kits
I recommend against this.  High oil pressure just bypasses the stock cooler, making your oil temp go up.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: