The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:39:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Prices of beetles in the uk!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Prices of beetles in the uk!  (Read 15773 times)
beetletom

« on: January 26, 2017, 20:18:34 pm »

Noticed recently prices being asked for piles, nowadays?!?
Patched up 70's rotters for atleast 2.5k

Have prices really gone mad? I suppose busses have gone silly, now beetle's are next??

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Beetle-Bug-Volkswagen-1973-1600-engine-Classic-Car-/332103980237?hash=item4d52f094cd%3Ag%3AyXIAAOSwt5hYihRd&_trkparms=pageci%253Ab33db207-e3fb-11e6-a598-74dbd180739f%257Cparentrq%253Adc339a3d1590a786f5ff2cf2ffa688e8%257Ciid%253A1
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 20:24:19 pm »

Well, all i can say is, even if I'm not from the UK, i'm glad i have the cars I always wanted!!!
Now trying to get them back on the Road...!!!

Frank
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 20:31:07 pm by Frank LUX » Logged

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
beetletom

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 20:31:03 pm »

I've got rid of all of mine, ah well... don't think I'll ever be able to afford another decent one
My friend has offered me her 1302 for £1500 though  Undecided
But judging from the link posted, it's a 4K car Cheesy Cheesy
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 20:32:00 pm »

I've got rid of all of mine, ah well... don't think I'll ever be able to afford another decent one
My friend has offered me her 1302 for £1500 though  Undecided
But judging from the link posted, it's a 4K car Cheesy Cheesy

Crazy....

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
vwhelmot

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 21:43:26 pm »

Prices of all classic cars have gone up, there are still some bargains to be had. The days of £2.5 thousand pound ovals are long gone ( what I paid for mine twelve years ago).   Early bugs are fetching good money now , I probably couldn't afford to buy my oval now.
baz

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 21:49:48 pm »

How about a used crankcase,  yours for only £999

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Type-1-Aircooled-Engine-Case-Full-Flowed-AD-Beetle-Bus-Split-Camper-Van-Bay-/152388542849?hash=item237b10a181%3Ag%3ArdoAAOSwo4pYcqZU&_trkparms=pageci%253Acda96219-e408-11e6-b2fa-74dbd1804d4e%257Cparentrq%253Adc8979d31590a5e0d7d487ceffac1bd5%257Ciid%253A6

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 22:19:58 pm »

Bargain  Grin
I've got about £4k of cases then
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 22:45:14 pm »

Don't forget that people on Ebay are most of the time out of touch with reality or are there to try their luck with a high price. The first link you've posted comes with the "make offer" feature for a reason, the guy hopes to stumble on a fool who'll "buy it now" for the asking price because he knows nothing, but the seller is aware he's asking too much for it. The problem is another tool will check Ebay, see this pile of shite and think in his little head "hey if that's up for sell for that much, I'll put mine up for sell for 500 more" and so on with another tool. There are plenty of things up for sale on Ebay since years and that will stay for much more years because prices are too high and the sellers think they have the holy grail. Thinking something is worth something is one thing, actually selling it is something else and Ebay is worst place for this (you can still find bargains or correct prices don't get me wrong, but from my experience very often the crazy prices are on Ebay, so it's not a reliable source to keep on eye on the market prices).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 22:47:41 pm by Nico86 » Logged

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 22:48:36 pm »

People should also keep in mind the Beetle is the classic car that was the more massively produced. But then again, the Type 2 is the more massively produced van and is far from being close to be rare, yet prices are stupid for it, not because it's rare but certainly for the same reason I've explained before. When you see Split busses are selling for the price of an Alpine Renault A110 or a 911  Roll Eyes As much as I love them, if I were to spend more than 50.000€ into a single classic car I would never buy an air-cooled VW.
Another problem is people tend to look at for how much money something is selling in USA, and want to squeeze the same amount of money from something more or less similar in Europe.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 22:56:51 pm by Nico86 » Logged

Russell

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 23:56:35 pm »

Classic Car.... that means collectable and in this day and age beetles are getting older and more collectable, Ive said it before but splits, ovals, 60s, super beetles and limited editions will continue to rise, not a bad thing for those who have invested in our cars making them better, they are after all now appreciating items.

Whilst £2500 is mad for that, some cars in a worse state will be worth more....

And Euro 50,000 is not too much for a proper classic beetle nowadays....

Take a great car and list the parts and see how much it would cost.....

example 50 split beetle used parts

Doors £ 500 each x 2
wings £ 400 each x 4
decklid £ 450
bonnet £ 600
interior £ 2-3k
engine £ 4-5k
Gearbox £ 2-3k
front beam £ 1k
wheels £ 600
windows/glass £ 300
almost £20k with no body or pan and paintjob...

so add

body £ 5k
Pan £ 1k
paintjob £5k

now £ 30k and not time, rubbers or other stuff...

so £ 50k for a fully restored detailed spilt is a cheap option....  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 00:21:09 am »

Though if you want to add the cost of all the parts and single bolts used in a restoration + the cost of all of the hours, time and energy you've spent restoring a car, and imagine you will sell that car for what that's totally worth + make a profit out of it... you can try, yes, and it might work every once in a while if the car is really special and rare (actually rare) or has a certain history and background (race cars...). But I also know a lot of people, not only in the VW scene, who have their cars up for sale since years and years and no one is buying because they think they are worth a certain amount of money that is out of touch with reality. When you talk to them they always come with figures about how much money they've spent for parts and professional work, hundreds of hours they have personally spent, months of work, weekends and holidays spent working on the car, a 200 pages file of invoice for all of the parts bought and work done. But let's be honest: your personal time and energy is worth nothing on the most common classic cars. For most of the popular cars you can't even cover the price of the parts. If you want to make a profit out of your work, Porsches, Ferraris, Jaguars, etc... are I guess more rewarding.

I've noticed that with Golf 1 GTI's lately. 10 years ago they we're relatively cheap (in 2006 I've almost bought a '79 one, 1600 engine, 4 speed gearbox, rust free, small taillights and the old dashboard with round speedo and tach, for 1800€ to use as a daily driver with a roofrack and without rear seats to carry more stuff  Grin good thing I didn't because a friend of mind bought it when I left it pass, and 3 weeks later the engine that was supposed to be perfect and revised blown up into little pieces). Now a restored GTI is at least 10.000€. Why? They are not rare, they are as shitty as a basic Golf 1, all of the parts (besides the engine/gearbox/few little bits) are the same things as on a std Golf, electricity is a nightmare (those plastic connectors and that damn plastic fuse-box  Angry) Okay the engine is fun but honestly when you compare a late 70s Golf to the Beetles made only 10 years before, Golfs are quite awful and cheap. And when you compare a Beetle with a hot engine to a Golf GTI, that's the same thing : the Golf is boring. Even restored std pre-1980 Golfs (those with chrome bumpers, small taillights...) are soon going to sell for more money than a late 60s Beetle.

(and no I don't hate old Golfs, I drive a one with a diesel engine daily that I use as a truck but it's more of a love/hate relationship between us  Grin)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 00:40:05 am by Nico86 » Logged

Andy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 00:53:51 am »

The beetle in the ebay ad isn't worth the asking price and it is just an asking price and I suspect it will go unsold so it doesn't really represent what a '70s project is selling for. Also you have to remember a 1970 beetle is now 46years old , I don't think it is realistic to think you can buy and run one on a student budget, thats what 15 year old Golfs and Polos are for.

What I have noticed is hardly anyone sells an unfinished project on, they see more cash in breaking it up selling the desirable parts and scrapping the rest, which means there are fewer beetles available to buy at a reasonable price.

I also see people bemoaning the fact that they can't buy what they want dirt cheap but when it comes to selling parts they ask top money and wonder why their parts don't sell, I saw someone on facebook trying to sell a used pair of 40 idfs for £600 strangely they haven't sold.

It's not just VWs that are crazy money, I've recently started looking at Old School BMXs, the price I sold my original bikes for would only buy back a couple of components now I think if I recreated my old race bike I would be looking at over £2000!
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 01:01:56 am »

The beetle in the ebay ad isn't worth the asking price and it is just an asking price and I suspect it will go unsold so it doesn't really represent what a '70s project is selling for. Also you have to remember a 1970 beetle is now 46years old , I don't think it is realistic to think you can buy and run one on a student budget, thats what 15 year old Golfs and Polos are for.

What I have noticed is hardly anyone sells an unfinished project on, they see more cash in breaking it up selling the desirable parts and scrapping the rest, which means there are fewer beetles available to buy at a reasonable price.

I also see people bemoaning the fact that they can't buy what they want dirt cheap but when it comes to selling parts they ask top money and wonder why their parts don't sell, I saw someone on facebook trying to sell a used pair of 40 idfs for £600 strangely they haven't sold.

It's not just VWs that are crazy money, I've recently started looking at Old School BMXs, the price I sold my original bikes for would only buy back a couple of components now I think if I recreated my old race bike I would be looking at over £2000!

True. Everything that is "vintage" (even if that word can mean all of nothing) is trendy and hype and is selling for a lot of money these days. I was looking for an old industrial/train station clock to put in my garage, and apprently that stuff got trendy and really expensive (don't even look at furniture classifieds with the words loft/art-deco/vintage in the title, not worth it it will be overpriced  Cheesy) Not sure if that will last though, one of these days people will find modern stuff more trendy who knows (talking about vintage stuff in general, not classic cars).

richie

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 10:51:14 am »

wings £ 400 each x 4

Let me know where you get these from, will take 2 sets at that price Wink  The classic fab repos are £400 each and they don't even have any stock Roll Eyes

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
richie

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 10:56:33 am »

You want to sell parts like that cabrio decklid at todays prices[£350-400] but think cars should be at same price as 15years ago when buying, cant have it both ways   

beetletom

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 14:53:46 pm »

You want to sell parts like that cabrio decklid at todays prices[£350-400] but think cars should be at same price as 15years ago when buying, cant have it both ways   

True, but parts have always been worth good money.

It's just shit cars being asked for astronomical prices !
richie

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 16:41:35 pm »

True, but parts have always been worth good money.

Some early parts maybe, but regular stuff wasn't, people just wanted repo news stuff and ignored good german used stuff, they still do to a certain extent.

You can scrap an original car now and easy get £2-2.5k out of it, and more if you are patient and sell all the little stuff, I was amazed at what sold off my 67 that I didn't need, people looking for rusty  Shocked but matching lotus white wings/bonnet etc and paying good money for parts that 10 years ago I would have thrown away.
And as someone else wrote there are always dreamers trying it on, it doesn't matter unless you are stupid enough to fall for it!!!

Russell

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 04:19:54 am »

wings £ 400 each x 4

Let me know where you get these from, will take 2 sets at that price Wink  The classic fab repos are £400 each and they don't even have any stock Roll Eyes

Richie your right I know my suggested values are low but that was a starting point,we all know that it cam go for more, if your almost completing a project or need one part to finish, most people will break the bank to get it.

Normally split wings for Saale need metal work and joy can lose 2-3 days on that alone...

Best Regards

Russell
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 04:45:15 am »

You guys know a mild custom 65 Bus with windows added to make it a 21 window went for $302,500 last weekend at the Barrett Jackson Auction in Arizona?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1965-VOLKSWAGEN-TYPE-II-21-WINDOW-DELUXE-BUS-200656

It's prices like this that throw gasoline on the fire of every ignorant idiot on the face of the planet with a pre-81 Bus with the bottom 6 inches missing now thinking its worth $30k.

I know of several people that mike a nice chunk of play money to further their VW sickness by parting out vehicles. Like mentioned, the VW's we love are now 35+ years old. You don't pickup a late 60's/early 70's American car in the U.S. for a few thousand dollars. In the Northeast of the U.S., clean good running/driving Superbeetles are $4k+. In an area where the average daily driven car is about 7 years old, anything surviving 20+ years is unique. Anything that's 20+ years that doesn't require a hundred hours of rust repair brings a premium price. It's great for those restoring vehicles, they can at least get more than 50% of the money they have invested in the restoration back if they sell it. It's a shame for those wanting to get involved in the hobby, or those that have been involved for 25+ years, and now see the opportunity to continue in the hobby financially slipping away.
Neil Davies

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 08:20:08 am »

wings £ 400 each x 4

Richie your right I know my suggested values are low but that was a starting point,we all know that it cam go for more, if your almost completing a project or need one part to finish, most people will break the bank to get it.

Normally split wings for Saale need metal work and joy can lose 2-3 days on that alone...

When I bought my '51 it had been stripped of lots of parts like the wings. Apparently it had been brought over from Sweden with Ian Clark's '52 and was complete,  but got passed around a lot with each owner taking a few bits off it and then selling it on for the same price!

As to what Tom said initially, there are still bargains out there - buses getting really popular kept Beetle prices down but now buses are out of reach for lots of people, Beetles are getting more popular again so the prices are on the up. Add in the fact that the bad ones have either been restored or broken up and there aren't as many cars to choose from!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
vwhelmot

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 11:11:43 am »

[/quote]

2-3Days?  Bloody fast worker!  Wings are a bastard to work on.
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 17:40:57 pm »

As to what Tom said initially, there are still bargains out there - buses getting really popular kept Beetle prices down but now buses are out of reach for lots of people, Beetles are getting more popular again so the prices are on the up. Add in the fact that the bad ones have either been restored or broken up and there aren't as many cars to choose from!

Vehicles once affordable, that now are out of reach has a lot to do with it. The shop I currently work at has looked into the value of quite a few models of cars we have restored. When higher valued/more desirable models rise in value, that definitely excludes a certain group of collectors from then being able to afford them. Porsches also have a lot to do with VW price increases. We have a customer with a 73 911E that has had his insurance appraisal value increase almost 400% from his original purchase price from the late 90's. Another customer bought a unique color exterior/interior combo 993 911 Turbo around 2013, one of the last years for an Aircooled engine, and his purchase price is about 40% of what they are selling for today. From other collectors/restorers I've talked with, it seems to be about the time a vehicle gets to be about 60-65 years old when it's value peaks. I have a friend that collects Plymouth Fury's. While his late 60's models are still rising, some of his 50's models are actually plateauing/losing value. And the owner of the shop I'm at now has restored quite a few Model T's/Model A's, and their values have been steadily decreasing since the mid 80's.
Russell

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 01:03:05 am »

Vehicles once affordable, that now are out of reach has a lot to do with it. The shop I currently work at has looked into the value of quite a few models of cars we have restored. When higher valued/more desirable models rise in value, that definitely excludes a certain group of collectors from then being able to afford them. Porsches also have a lot to do with VW price increases. We have a customer with a 73 911E that has had his insurance appraisal value increase almost 400% from his original purchase price from the late 90's. Another customer bought a unique color exterior/interior combo 993 911 Turbo around 2013, one of the last years for an Aircooled engine, and his purchase price is about 40% of what they are selling for today. From other collectors/restorers I've talked with, it seems to be about the time a vehicle gets to be about 60-65 years old when it's value peaks. I have a friend that collects Plymouth Fury's. While his late 60's models are still rising, some of his 50's models are actually plateauing/losing value. And the owner of the shop I'm at now has restored quite a few Model T's/Model A's, and their values have been steadily decreasing since the mid 80's.

VWs will continue to increase, they have something others can only dream about.

Best Regards

Russell
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 14:29:03 pm »

VWs will continue to increase, they have something others can only dream about.

Should be true when you see split or bay windows busses selling for prices much higher than sport cars of the same era. 300.000 for a split, hey, somehow that's just an old commercial van or mini bus... An early Ford transit made the same work and worth not that much now. Go figure...
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 18:03:26 pm »

The $302k price, and the 2011 $217k price of a OEM restored 23 window have so far been flukes/oddities since barely anything else has past $150k since then. It's just now, anyone selling a Split, or Bay Bus will say "they're gettin $300k out of these things now".  Atmosphere, and ego have a lot to do with auction winning bids. The thread about the $300k Bus over on The Samba has a few speculating the Velocity Channel inflated the bid since they featured the Bus on one of their programs. I have had bids inflated on me at an auction, and have heard more than one instance of it happening to others.

I do agree that classic VW's will increase, for a while. I don't ever see something as common as a Split Bus, or Beetle making it to the $500k-$1 million mark though. Possibly something coach built like a Denzel, Rometsch, or a Hebmuller, but nothing with production numbers in the 10's of thousands. If the VW market is anything like the rest of the worlds markets of 20's, 30's, and 40's vehicles, anyone with a unique Aircooled VW needs to plan on selling it within the next 10 years to have the opportunity to reap the most reward. The market will collapse like all the others regardless of whether you are trying to sell your 50 Split Beetle, or 79 Super. The generation that had the most interest in the time period of vehicles we play with will have literally started to pass away. And as we all see at our shows/meets, there is but a tiny fraction of those interested in getting involved in the hobby younger than 30.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 22:39:50 pm »

Yes, all these auctions shown in the medias by famous auctions houses are oddities (if they are even real...). If anything, I guess you can't stop someone from being stupid and throwing $300k into a VW Bus (and in my personal opinion, this bus $300k bus shown in the previous link was done with bad taste, it looks like one of these VWs you can see in magazines over here, restored with chinese and taiwanese new Empi parts, and I wouldn't try my luck removing the inner door panels or looking in the corners underneath the pan... because I bet these areas are not even painted). It shines too much to be a honest car  Grin
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 22:46:38 pm by Nico86 » Logged

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 22:45:00 pm »

It's the same here and all of the people I know who are into pre-WW2 cars noticed the same. Cars from the 40s, 30s and 20s are losing value quiclky, except of course the US models more often used to customize : Ford 32, Willys 40, etc. Pre-war european models are losing the most (except for the Citroën Traction Avant).

Donny B.

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 22:46:59 pm »

Dave Kindig who did the bus in question is one of the best car restorers in the U.S.  His quality is almost unmatched, that is why he gets the money he does.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 22:52:29 pm »

Still done with bad taste for me (as I said in the previous post, just a personal opinion) and way overpriced. But I also not into the cars/bikes Chip Foose or Jesse James are doing. That's maybe a lot of work and conception, but it's just not my kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 22:57:03 pm by Nico86 » Logged

gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 23:26:45 pm »

Dave Kindig who did the bus in question is one of the best car restorers in the U.S.  His quality is almost unmatched, that is why he gets the money he does.

I'm not knocking the builder. To me is was an incredible vehicle. Truth be known, if it was such a high quality build, $302k may not have cleared a profit. I just find it odd that every other OEM 21/23 window restoration, that has time, and time again proven to bring more money than a created 21 window "restomod", seems to bring $100k-$150k when this particular vehicle surpasses $300k. It only takes two bidders that want the vehicle, and one willing to purchase it at all costs. This vehicle could not be created for less than $100k at a paid shop, but the final sale price is a complete shock to all.

Bob Cook is one of the more renown restoration specialist on the Eastcoast. He had a beautifully OEM restored 52 Split Beetle that was offered at last Sping's Gooding auction in Amelia Island FL. With lesser vehicles being offered on The Samba for $75k, and $90k, I figured it would be a sure $100+k sale. It ended up going for $63k. The shop owners I work with now were attending the concours event at Amelia Island that weekend. Having done concours restorations since the late 70's, they physically looked at Bob's car, and were quite impressed. It all depends on what's going on in the room at the auction. Expensive vehicles sometimes go cheap, while cheap vehicles sometimes bring huge money.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: