The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:42:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Rebuilding Transmissions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rebuilding Transmissions  (Read 3099 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: October 04, 2007, 19:46:32 pm »

Anyone here ever rebuilt their own transmissions. I know it takes some special tools, but I noticed that AC.net sells them as a kit for $229.00. (http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=TZE0032&cartid=) Just wondering why more people don't try this. Is it because transmissions are still considered black boxes? Just something I have been thinking about.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
besserwisser

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 20:50:36 pm »

I would say you need moore than that kit to work on gearboxes. I have a complete kit from an old VW-shop and most of the tools are for measuring tolerances between ring and pinion. some jigs are for measuring the size of your diffhousing. The tools they are showing you can build yourself and the plate for adjusting the gears you can make out of an old gearboxhousing. You will also most definately need an hudraulic press to take gears of and put them back. The most important tool is the one for setting the play between ring and pinion and the stand for pressing the gearassembly back into the housing. I know some people do it by trial and error and it has been done but moneywise itīs better to hand it over to someone with experience. How cool is to find out after you have installed your motor that the number three gear jumps out when you let of the gas. (on a scale from one to ten)
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 03:42:13 am »

Anyone here ever rebuilt their own transmissions. I know it takes some special tools, but I noticed that AC.net sells them as a kit for $229.00. (http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=TZE0032&cartid=) Just wondering why more people don't try this. Is it because transmissions are still considered black boxes? Just something I have been thinking about.

--louis
                                          I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

I also park at Nick's.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 07:19:22 am »

Never really rebuilded one only have putted a superdiff and swapped the axels myself. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 16:05:14 pm »

Building gearboxes is cool  Cool......In my profession I work with people all day and changing that to working in slippery gearbox parts that are stubborn when it comes to fitting in is good contemplation....On a second thought I guess my hobby stands close to my work, when I read what I am writing Undecided
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 16:26:05 pm »

OKay, seems the general consensus is leave it to the pros. After all the trouble I have had just trying ot change out the axles, that is prob ably good advice.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

Rasser

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 19:44:11 pm »

Besserwisser (Hans Landelius ?)....  You explained it pretty good!

I have built my own gearbox, and boy was I in for a surprise. I thought it was no big deal, but things turned out too be way more difficult than I had ever imagined. I was fortunate enough to borrow the tools for measuring tolerances between ring and pinion from a fellow clubmember.

That said, it can be done with a hydraulic press and the ring/pinion tools.

I made my own jig for adjusting the shiftforks (I cut up an old unused gearbox).

Here are some pics off my build:

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Rasser

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 19:45:09 pm »

more pics:

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 01:16:11 am »

Finally got the new SAW short axles and tubes installed tonight. Forget I mentioned ever wanting to work on transmissions again. Anyone who does this type of crap for a living, doesn't earn enough. (But that is probably the way it is for all automotive work.) I am off to have a beer. At least the tranny is ready to go back in the car. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

BTW, that is a sweet looking tranny Rasser.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: