The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:09:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Type 4 cases
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Type 4 cases  (Read 2616 times)
Eddie DVK

« on: February 07, 2017, 11:31:19 am »

Ok a question for the Type 4 guys on here.
I am building a new engine this spring, now I have a few cases, the one that is in my car at the moment is a CJ case it has only one oil relief
spring, I have a other case that has the dual oil relief springs.
So the question which one is better or has adventages?

Regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Airspeed

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 23:19:12 pm »

Doesn't make any difference really.
The wear of the case registers and mains are better tell tales of which one to start with imo.

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Eddie DVK

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 13:00:03 pm »

Thanks Walter,

the case registers are ok, the mains I still have to check, do you check them yourself with the CSP toole?
I do not have good experience with companies checking this for me.

Regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Airspeed

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 13:37:43 pm »

No, I don't have the CSP tool, but you should and can inspect lots of things, all evenly important if there is a problem.
For instance the actual case separation halves on the bearing saddles: I usually check (type 1 can be worse here) if you can still see the original maching stripes on the three mains. Center main is virtually always gone, often 1st as well (next to flywheel) but if the 1st and 3rd are both shiney flat, lots of case movement (pounding) has probably taken place. Sometimes you can even see a little curling up of material in that part of more violent pounding. Which can make the case still ok, but all of these 'little' things can give you hints of the previous life of a case.

1700/1800 engines from 411/412 (and 914's to some degree) and 2 ltr cases (buses) have usually have had lived different lives as well, so when in doubt...

You say the registers are ok, but have you measured height from the case center line on serveral points or just looked at them?

You can probably write a whole essay about this subject alone, which I'am not gonna do here. Need to finish my own engine  Wink

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: