The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 13:08:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Gene Berg linkage ball joints life
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gene Berg linkage ball joints life  (Read 2663 times)
Ninho/DKM

« on: February 11, 2017, 01:21:37 am »

Anyone of you had ever tested lifelong of our beloved Gene Berg carb linkage ball joints?
Mine was installed new quite 8 years ago and had a quite daily use and some race action. Now i have some issues finding carbs alignement and it looks like they got some excessive play during very first increasing play accelerating.
May be i have to change them with new ones? Just after 8 years on not so heavy use? What is your experiences?
Thanks to all for answering.

http://www.geneberg.com/images/IMG_2582%20(Medium).JPG

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=234&products_id=2954

1974 Superbeetle Porsche affected and influenced
1957 Gasser Project work in progress
1973 Thing type 181 Civil version (sold)
1959 Bug waiting attentions
1963 Surfin'Bird Street and Strip race Bug 1776cc Best E/T 14,769 at Hills Race#10

www.Surfinbirdbug.blogspot.it
www.Ninho-Reloaded.blogspot.it
DWL_Puavo

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 14:04:31 pm »

They do get a bit loose and have excessive play, at least they are easy to replace. The round bar's fixings also tend to wear as they don't have proper bearings. Fixable of course but quite a bit of a work as you have to separate the end welds from the bar and re-weld them after installing some kind of bushings or bearings - and then there's no more galvanizing on the ends of the rods.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 18:37:03 pm »

I remember getting frustrated trying to maintain synchronous opening with worn out stock ball-joints that the Berg linkage came with. In some areas, replacements are pretty easy to come up with (they're 1/4x28 thread). Some versions of these have a (pretty weak) rubber boot to temporarily keep grit out.
I found a much better alternative at Midwest Controls, better ball-joints, with RH and LH thread, and I also ordered 1/4x28 threaded links (also RH-LH thread) so I can adjust overall length without having to unbolt a ball joint. These have been on my car for over 66,000 miles, and they are as tight as they were new, in 2007.
glenn

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 19:09:25 pm »

I replaced the original ones with the same that Jim mentioned. I purchased the Berg linkage back in the early 1980s. At the time my car was daily driven and never garaged. I restored my car in 1997 and at that time replaced the original ball joints with the newer replacements. Honestly, i don't remember the last time I hat to touch the linkage.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: