The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:46:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  efi fuel systems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: efi fuel systems  (Read 14825 times)
baz

« on: February 12, 2017, 21:01:56 pm »

I'm looking for ideas and advice on efi fuel systems, ie fuel tank set up,  fuel pump, filter and regulator.

I currently have this fuel tank mod with small sump and return line fed up through the tank. I'm not keen on the flared ends and push on fittings.

I've this unknown fuel pump

This filter

And this regulator

Any thoughts on how good or bad this set up is?

Would love to hear from anyone running efi on their set ups.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 21:14:31 pm by baz » Logged

I will prevail.
richie

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 21:43:22 pm »

Mine on 67

stock tank with -8 fitting tig welded onto bottom in factory position then another near it but slightly nearer firewall for return, also -8 on filler neck for breather

Then filter before pump, up to fuel rails, then to reg and back to return all with screw on fittings, no push on stuff.

I don't recognise the pump or reg you posted so cant comment on how good or bad they are Shocked

cheers Richie 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
baz

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 21:54:55 pm »

Thanks Richie,  the regulator is weber.

So you don't run a sump on your tank? Also is your regulator after the injectors??  Sorry but I'm clueless on this and I want to get mine sorted out now before the car is ready to run.

I will prevail.
Chip

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 23:37:59 pm »

I run all -6 teflon lined hose. I tapped the fitting on the bottom of my tank to be 1/4" NPT, run my return into that. I have a large Walbro 350 or so lph pump hanging in my tank, with a single hose coming out of the top. I have a filter mounted to the bottom of the pump, then a large screw on canister type after it, then it goes to the rails/injectors, then to the Mallory regulator, then through a flex fuel sensor, and into the bottom of the tank.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:18:24 am by Chip » Logged
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:31:32 am »

I'm putting a 1584 with Solex in mine........but later I might like EFI when I get bored playing with dinosaurs again, so......

AN-6 fitting into stock tank outlet, feeds down to BIG (6" x 2.5") fuel filter which can be replaced with a mini-tank/filter/pump when or if I choose to go EFI, I went for big-volume filter so with mechanical pumps for now I won't get vapour-lock in our heat. It all sits above the brake M/C against the front wall. My tank vent is still stock 1303 (Oz L-Bug).

Solid steel 5/16" line all the way through to the engine bay, where it can then in the future feed rails and a regulator if I wish (but for now the stock mech pump).
The stock 1/4" fuel line remains all the way as a return line from the regulator in the future, then I just need to put a return fitting in the tank and I'm done. I have AN fittings for the carb/pump stuff for now, but will probably go to factory OEM EFI quick-disconnects when I convert just for peace-of-mind.

All the systems I've done I always try to use locally available and reliable parts from common local cars, eg. regulator, pumps, filters, injectors, throttle body, O2 sensor, that way parts are easy to get and the people you may need to ask advice from will be familiar with the bits. OEM stuff is cheap and reliable.

Size your injectors up, throw a few wires into something that goes beep, turn the key and drive away.
baz

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 13:28:02 pm »

How do you get an in tank pump in there? How is it attached?

Interesting that most folk are running standard tanks and just modifying the outlet.

I will prevail.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 14:50:53 pm »

CB do a fitting for the bottom of tank for flow and return in one

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
baz

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 19:11:26 pm »

I've been looking into these,  I've read that they aren't ideal as the returning fuel is recirculated again rather than cooling off in the tank.

I will prevail.
baz

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 19:26:20 pm »

Mine on 67

stock tank with -8 fitting tig welded onto bottom in factory position then another near it but slightly nearer firewall for return, also -8 on filler neck for breather

Then filter before pump, up to fuel rails, then to reg and back to return all with screw on fittings, no push on stuff.

I don't recognise the pump or reg you posted so cant comment on how good or bad they are Shocked

cheers Richie 

Richie what pump and regulator are you using?  I want to find something that accepts an fittings on all connections.

I will prevail.
broen messiaen

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 20:09:39 pm »

this is how i'm changing my car at the moment:
old filter from carb setup -> bosch 044 pump-> extra filter-> end of car. (crappy self phone pictures)

the fuel tank i modified like this, 2 an6 fittings welded on a plate and tig' welded that to the tank

baz

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 20:16:22 pm »

It gets busy in there with all that kit. I like the idea of in tank pumps from the tidiness point of view, but the ones I've found that accept an fittings for the outlets look crazy expensive.

I will prevail.
Chip

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 21:43:27 pm »

How do you get an in tank pump in there? How is it attached?

Interesting that most folk are running standard tanks and just modifying the outlet.

Here is the pump I run, good for nice high pressures and good flow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152435882431

I bought a few bits from tanksinc.com and made it all fit. I'll try to get a few photos up later.
Chip

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 21:48:25 pm »

baz

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 21:58:28 pm »

Thanks chip,  those pics help make sense of how it all works. Also should be easy for me to pick up a used pump here for small money. Would a pump donor Mercedes come equipped with a suitable regulator too?

I will prevail.
UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 22:34:18 pm »

I got this kit

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/phantom-200-stealth-fuel-system/

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
baz

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 22:56:15 pm »

I was looking at those earlier, very nice set up but a little pricey for me atm

I will prevail.
Chip

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 23:36:20 pm »

Thanks chip,  those pics help make sense of how it all works. Also should be easy for me to pick up a used pump here for small money. Would a pump donor Mercedes come equipped with a suitable regulator too?
No idea on the regulator. I use a 0-100psi Mallory reg. Pretty sure that pump comes from a beast of a Mercedes. Also, the hose i used inside is not that stuff,but a purpose built in tank any fuel compatible hose.
baz

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 23:55:54 pm »

No idea on the regulator. I use a 0-100psi Mallory reg. Pretty sure that pump comes from a beast of a Mercedes. Also, the hose i used inside is not that stuff,but a purpose built in tank any fuel compatible hose.

Plenty of beasty mercs knocking around London so hopefully pick up a pump for reasonable money.  I like the in tank pump option so even shelling out for a new one it'll be all OK.

Thanks again.

I will prevail.
richie

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 11:18:32 am »

Chip,

do you have any fuel pressure or starvation issues under boost ? just wondered as that tank vent looks a little small to me

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 11:21:04 am »

Baz

I got a 044 copy pump, aeromotive filter and a magna fuel regulator on the 67

cheers Richie

Chip

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 13:25:05 pm »

Chip,

do you have any fuel pressure or starvation issues under boost ? just wondered as that tank vent looks a little small to me

cheers Richie
Not at all. Its the same 3/8" as the rest of the lines hooked to the tank. Fuel pressure stays nice and steady. Injector DC stays well within safe zones  to maintain good afr.
baz

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 13:45:25 pm »

Baz

I got a 044 copy pump, aeromotive filter and a magna fuel regulator on the 67

cheers Richie

Thanks Richie, does your return line just go to bottom of tank or have you an extension inside the tank?

I will prevail.
richie

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 21:21:44 pm »

Just onto bottom of tank Smiley

Fiatdude

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 04:36:52 am »

RCI 12 gallon tank with a bunch of aeromotive stuff

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:38:23 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
baz

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 12:06:09 pm »

Just onto bottom of tank Smiley

Thanks Richie. 

I will prevail.
PPRMicke

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 16:38:44 pm »

http://www.nukeperformance.com/products/fuel-surge-tank/'
/// Micke
andy198712

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 11:59:06 am »

I've been looking into these,  I've read that they aren't ideal as the returning fuel is recirculated again rather than cooling off in the tank.

I've been using mine on a road car, you have to modify it as when you screw it down the thread bottoms out before the seal compresses. so you need to file it down a bit.

works well though.

going to a high flow filter like the one CB sell. 13mm outlets i think? then to a used bosch pump off a porsche, but same as volvo ect. then to a 8mm barb, to 8mm hard line, then to a subaru filter which has 8mm ends. injectors, then to a Beru 3 bar reg, back to the CB tank fitting.
broen messiaen

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:14 am »

does anyone use a sensor in the fuel line to check the pressure? thinking about putting one in with a t-fitting and connecting it to the ecu

what is the best pressure to set the regulator is you start a total new setup(baseline)?
richie

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 17:30:44 pm »

does anyone use a sensor in the fuel line to check the pressure? thinking about putting one in with a t-fitting and connecting it to the ecu

what is the best pressure to set the regulator is you start a total new setup(baseline)?

Yes I do log fuel pressure, and I set pressure at 45psi without engine running

cheers Richie

Chip

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 20:03:42 pm »

Me too. I think mine is 50ish right now. Too hard to get to very often, so it stays where its at. 43.5 is kind of the standard that most injector flow rates are based on.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: