The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:47:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hot Vw's Magazine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hot Vw's Magazine  (Read 18760 times)
Larry S

« on: February 25, 2017, 14:19:12 pm »

I saw some things on Facebook yesterday and I was wondering if anyone knows what is going on. First I heard it was closing and then I heard it was going through some major changes. I know how rumors start and get blown out of proportion these days so I was just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the subject.
Thanks,

Larry

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
Brew 66

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 19:08:45 pm »

Check Hot VW's Facebook!
It's all good!
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 19:16:47 pm »

You reckon...  Roll Eyes

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
leec

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 20:50:24 pm »

You reckon...  Roll Eyes
[/quote
What's going on then?
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:17:54 am »

I dropped my subscription a couple of years ago, after getting my first mag in the early 80s.

As much as I love VW hotrods, there is more to the VW world than skinny-front slammed "Resto-Cal" and pages of ads.
Not a criticism, possibly a way forward maybe.........
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:02:46 am »

I dropped my subscription a couple of years ago, after getting my first mag in the early 80s.

As much as I love VW hotrods, there is more to the VW world than skinny-front slammed "Resto-Cal" and pages of ads.

Yeah, I'd wish they would open their eyes and see that you can have a very cool car that doesn't have shiny paint. They really limit their readership that way, IMO.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Brian Rogers

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 04:37:06 am »

I'm thinking April Fools for the April issue.
But I've been wrong before.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 18:44:10 pm »

Yeah, I'd wish they would open their eyes and see that you can have a very cool car that doesn't have shiny paint. They really limit their readership that way, IMO.

On the other hand, I don't renew my Ultra VW subscription because I found to much rat/slammed/patina bus/bugs article to my taste. It is a very high quality mag, printed on heavy glossy paper,not like US mag printed on rolling paper, with a in depth look from guy's that know their stuff and the scene. They have to follow the trend and the UK is heavy on ratty/slammed ride, but not my taste .
 I like to see a patina, resto-cal, german look, Cal look, camper, bus, bug, T1-2-3-4, vintage and everything in between as long as it is not another rat's ride (or a french look, but I don't buy the French magazine anymore Cheesy ).

I really like magazine like Car Craft. It's down to earth, average Joe reading with nice tech/paint articles that show the best,better, worst way to do thing. Featured cars are sometime show quality, sometimes not, but the story that goes with make the reading interesting.
I found Hot vw's to take their style for granted. Invariably written the same way, time after time. It's accurate, but lack of originality. And I hope not found rusty slammed ride with a rope or a chain wrap around the front bumper with a single fog light and a roof rack full of junk in Hot VW's...  Wink
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 19:33:40 pm »

Agreed on all points.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Critter1

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 23:22:02 pm »

HVWs has needed an overhaul for years, IMO. Like it was said above, all articles read the same. Seems they cut, paste and change the name, paint color, engine size and laundry list of shops its been to for the various expensive work done.... It would be nice to see some variety in the way of some tasteful patina car spreads. Plenty of quality, ingenuity and style out there lurking under OG paint & scratches.They usually have a much better story than the checkbook cars. I really hope HVWs is in for some changes that this community can embrace as a whole.

Huh Huh Huh
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 00:55:53 am »

I hope the April Fools doesn't become a self-fulfilling prophecy.........
I bought an Ultra last month or so, there is a lot of slammed rat-looks, but there is still a lot of other content as well.

Funny you should mention Car Craft. In the 90s they were in the same situation, and if it wasn't for Freiburger "Camaro Craft" would have folded, but then he changed the mag within a year to reflect the fun bits of the hobby, made it more inclusive (he even put 5.0L Fords in the damn thing!!!) and changed focus and it's still going today.

gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:46 pm »

After speaking with some friends that are Aircooled VW shop owners, Hot VW's appears to be under new managagement. There have also been some changes in the line up of editors. Most posts I've read so far about the rumors of the magazine going out of print all agree the magazine does need some changes. If they're going to start shit canning the editors that have been there for years, or some case decades, that have brought the magazine to where it is today, it's going to be a rough/most likely short future.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 13:18:00 pm by gkeeton@zbzoom.net » Logged
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 17:11:18 pm »

It's not the new owners who got rid of the old editors – that process started before the sale.

Shin Mukai (TOA International) is the new owner, with Shin Watanabe as editor. Look for some old names back on board (hint: DK, RK, BS...) and some other old fart, maybe. This is the best thing that can happen to Hot VWs.

Oh, and the 'missing' April issue was not down to the new owners...

Support it by buying it.

kafercup

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 18:25:31 pm »

It's not the new owners who got rid of the old editors – that process started before the sale.

Shin Mukai (TOA International) is the new owner, with Shin Watanabe as editor. Look for some old names back on board (hint: DK, RK, BS...) and some other old fart, maybe. This is the best thing that can happen to Hot VWs.

Support it by buying it.

I like the sound of that, should make for some interesting (positive) changes!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 19:32:43 pm »

That sounds positive

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 21:28:17 pm »

Support it by buying it.

Unless something has changed recently, it's my understanding your "hinted names" are NOT going to be a part of the new Hot VW's.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 22:11:16 pm »

Unless something has changed recently, it's my understanding your "hinted names" are NOT going to be a part of the new Hot VW's.
Watch this space... ;-)

Brian Rogers

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 01:30:26 am »

When does this happen? I've still have a bit of subscription left.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 04:44:34 am »

I'm new here , Is this magazine about stolen VWs Huh

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jeff68

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 13:05:23 pm »

Well no wonder I haven't gotten my April HotVWs mag! Cheesy I figured something was up....I really hope it gets sorted out and I hope existing subscribers (I have a year left!) aren't forgotten. I grew up reading HotVWs. I know the magazine isn't perfect and it would be great if they update it some, but I really hope it survives!

Thanks for the information Keith!
Bryan67

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 00:50:52 am »

Best news I`ve heard all week!

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
deano

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 06:20:58 am »

I've been asked to be a contributor, which I am excited about working with the Shins. May issue is now in production, and looks excellent.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
karl h

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 07:44:21 am »

been a subscriber longer than i can remember, so this is good news  Cheesy

alex d

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 08:04:13 am »

This is great news!
Jeff68

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 12:54:16 pm »

Great news Deano!! Thanks!
deano

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 17:14:37 pm »

I suggest that if you want a copy of the April 2017 issue, you need to find it on the newsstands, as most subscribers will probably not get one. Just FYI. True collector's item.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
kaferdave

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 20:09:37 pm »

So it's official now?    Cool Grin
deano

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 21:33:14 pm »

No, not yet.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven