The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 13:49:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hydraulic lifters type 1 case for the street ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hydraulic lifters type 1 case for the street ?  (Read 4330 times)
Frenchy Dehoux

« on: February 27, 2017, 05:19:44 am »

I have a new case that was bored out to use the hydraulic lifters. I would like to hear pros and cons in regard to using them for the street. This engine was an 82 x 94 with the CB single fuel injection system until the customer got out of control and crack the head # 3 and 4 the exhaust port cracked all the way around. I want to rebuild the motor without the hydraulic lifter and have Steve Hollinsworth here in Phoenix and have the lifter bores restored with the bronze bushing to the stock size lifters. Let me know what you think of using these hydraulic lifter vs stock lifters for the street.

Thanks
  Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Sam K

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 18:19:12 pm »

I'm curious about too. I have really nice case that was once a Bernie Bergmann engine. I talked to Bergmann about it when I was rebuilding it for a customer. I wasn't impressed with him or his explanation of how his hydraulic setup worked so I ended up using a new case with solid lifters.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 22:46:58 pm »

I talked with Steve Hollinsworth and he mentioned to me it would be better to put it back with the original size type lifters. Steve charges $250 to install the bronze bushins and reamed to the original size lifters and this is a new case to.

Thanks
Frenchy

2manytoys

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:42:31 am »

Hey Frenchy,...
I was in the same situation and had a case cut for Hydraulic lifters. I sent mine to Brothers machine and they set in bronze lifter sleeves so I could go back to solid lifters..... Word,...Peace Out.
P-

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 16:50:44 pm »

Thanks for your feed back.

Frenchy

Sam K

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 00:30:32 am »

That's a great idea. I've had Rimco sleeve lifter bores on a couple cases before.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:41:00 am »

I have zero experience on the subject but everything I've seen says you have to run a very conservative grind. Not something the average 2276 driver wants.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 23:00:46 pm »

Hi Frenchy,

Steve did the same on a case for me years back and I am still running it today.  From what I remember the hyd cams were very mild and I wanted something else so when back to solid lifters.  Be sure to provide Steve with one of the lifters you plan on using since the will machine to bores for the correct fit.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 04:59:33 am »

Thanks Brandon Steve told me to bring him the cam and lifters i will be using on this block so he can match.

Frenchy

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 05:06:36 am »

I checked out the hydraulic grinds on CB's website. Very high total duration relative to the duration at .050". Gentle ramps. I wonder how they perform in your "average" 2276??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
ketsa

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 12:25:39 pm »

I'm using this one in 2,1 wbx T3 Syncro
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2254.htm

Nice low end, really good for cruising and on highways until there's a need to overtake someone... Can't be sure if the cam is the limiting thing or the wbx fuel system, but there's no "now we are talking" feeling at higher rpm.
Other words I can't feel a big difference compared to 112 hp wbx stock cam.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: