The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 21:39:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Timing a 6v car
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Timing a 6v car  (Read 2097 times)
RichardinNZ

« on: March 02, 2017, 03:39:05 am »

As I have a 6 volt car I've generally set my timing static.  I now have a strobe gun which I guess will only work on 12 volt.  I therefore connected this to a 12 battery independent of the car.  I'm guessing there is no reason why this wouldn't show the right result?  Is my logic somehow flawed?

The main reason I'm asking is that I have a Resolit '010 look-alike' distributor on the car and it appears to be giving over 30 degrees advance (so needs to be set at TDC static)?  If all is working OK with how I'm testing it, I think it could time to reinstall my VJ4 BR8 and use that instead.

Thanks
Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
glenn

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:08:40 am »

You are correct in using a 12v battery to power the timing light.

Not sure why the Resolit distributor is giving 30*. I can tell you their quality is nowhere as good as Bosch.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
RichardinNZ

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:50:55 am »

Thanks for confirming Glenn.

The Resolit was still a good buy as it came with new points, condenser and bosch cap, so nothing lost.   

Interesting, I don't have a rev counter but just installed the vj4 br8 and it gets to max advance much lower down the revs.   The Resolit  kept advancing to much higher revs.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
RichardinNZ

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 00:47:12 am »

Another question for you Glenn...

I recall you previously recommended the '019' for my engine, but things have evolved a little since then.  Given the current modifications to my engine (stock 36hp bottom end, dual 28PCI carbs, modified stocks heads which have been flycut 2mm for 7.5:1 compression and have 33mm intake valves, Speedwell USA 1.4:1 Ratio Rockers, Vintage Speed TW Sebring Exhaust) would you suggest I stick with the VJ4 BR8 ('019' curve?) or now move up to an 010? 

Thanks
Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: