The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:37:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What next?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What next?!  (Read 4113 times)
cal-look.net

« on: October 05, 2007, 14:14:05 pm »

OK fellas, after some advice/thoughts for work on my bug over the winter!

My bug - what next?

Some ideas I am toying with.

Back seat/sound deadening . . . noise is mental inside!!! is starting to drive me nuts - or is this normal with a Cal-Looker!!

Wheels . . . never intended to keep them, never got round to changing them, they are brick like MWS BRM replicas - question is change to what and what stud pattern - also budget!! so any suggestions welcome.

Change linkage/throttle cable . . . always been an issue on my car, better now I have used some mountain bike cable conduit, but not perfect - throttle control is still a little snappy - so thinking, Berg linkage? marine cable assembly? ideas thoughts?!

Rear valence - is removable, but fit is poor, thinking of replacing it and filling in the cut outs, also bracing the rear somehow to stop the inner wings splaying when traction bar is tightened.

Dashboard - fill in grills and add gauges - carry on the autometer theme or go for period gauges? - I like autometer and want accuracy, would the boys back in the day have used them if they where available?

Just nice to chew the virtual fat!

I could of course just stop thinking and drive the bloody thing more Wink

Cheers!

Steve

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 14:17:56 pm »

OK fellas, after some advice/thoughts for work on my bug over the winter!

My bug - what next?

Some ideas I am toying with.

Back seat/sound deadening . . . noise is mental inside!!! is starting to drive me nuts - or is this normal with a Cal-Looker!!

Wheels . . . never intended to keep them, never got round to changing them, they are brick like MWS BRM replicas - question is change to what and what stud pattern - also budget!! so any suggestions welcome.

Change linkage/throttle cable . . . always been an issue on my car, better now I have used some mountain bike cable conduit, but not perfect - throttle control is still a little snappy - so thinking, Berg linkage? marine cable assembly? ideas thoughts?!

Rear valence - is removable, but fit is poor, thinking of replacing it and filling in the cut outs, also bracing the rear somehow to stop the inner wings splaying when traction bar is tightened.

Dashboard - fill in grills and add gauges - carry on the autometer theme or go for period gauges? - I like autometer and want accuracy, would the boys back in the day have used them if they where available?

Just nice to chew the virtual fat!

I could of course just stop thinking and drive the bloody thing more Wink

Cheers!

Steve

Put some sound deadener and some carpet back there and leave the seat out. Then go drive it some more.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
63 ripper

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 15:01:14 pm »

nicest car at ultra show last week  Wink
as for wheels...what is your font end set-up, CB spindles,drums,discs etc ? narrowed beam isn't it ? this will dictate your wheel choice.
i did notice your quiet pack was mighty close to the valance...

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
richie

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 15:05:10 pm »

Cage,ear plugs and ercos with slicks Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
63 ripper

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 15:10:30 pm »

as for the noise,how is your box mounted ? is it close ratios,aftermarket mainshaft etc ?

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 15:34:21 pm »

cheers richie,uk

Exactly - I followed Matt Gant back from one of the Outlaw Flat Four meetings last year and had to admire the use of ear defenders! Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 16:17:52 pm »

I would detail the BRM, i think it'll add contrast to the car. And then drive it more! Wink

Glitter don't make you faster.
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 16:25:37 pm »

cheers richie,uk

What he said! but with a laptop on the pasanger seat to keep an eye on the turbo efi motor Wink

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Sarge

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 16:34:21 pm »

Your car is beautiful!  The noise issue is a tough one to overcome.  I've had it both ways and, being an old fart, like quiet way better.  If your planning on racing only, then leave it alone and deal with it...solid mounts and a car lightened as much as possible are best.  But if your headed to the street, then I'd recommend the full Dynomat (insulation) treatment and some OEM hard rubber trans mounts.  The only metal to metal "touch" on my car is the Berg traction bar and that seems just about right for acceptable noise.  Close ratio gears are really hard to overcome on the noise issue...especially amplified through solid mounts.  Hard to have the best of both worlds...many have tried over the years.

I still like a Berg linkage personally and an OEM throttle cable.  Sometimes, a worn pedal assy can cause grief, so have a look to make sure all is well.  If you like your BRM's maybe some Flat Fours...I think they're lighter.  

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 16:45:13 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 17:14:24 pm »

Wheels , nice set of Cal parts or ET mags , Crestlines, Depending on price and size ! Or a set of Centrelines for an old skool drag look !

Leave the back looking bare and empty

Guages if they tell you whats going on and look good at the same time -keep em

Rear Valance, redo it and keep the holes...good stock look

Love the car dude,
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 21:09:47 pm »

Nice to see you have one of my Tack mounts fitted, hope you like it.

Cool looking car by the way.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 22:36:50 pm »

Hmmm interesting..... I have a few ideas  Wink Smiley

- Guages - how about "Old Skool" guages with modern internals  Huh also Fill that dash  Wink Smiley

- Wheels - Either media blast them and then polish them (they come up AWSOME) oh yeah and paint the spoke Black OR I know Rob is thinking of selling his ET's  Huh

- Interior - How about some sound deadening then a full trim over the top just like the Old Skool DKP cars

- Valance - Redo it and fill the Cut outs

- Throttle linkage - have you thought about fitting a Moon pedal Huh My friend Gave used to have loads of problems with his throttle and fitting one of these COOL pedals did the job - just a thought  Smiley

Catch ya soon dude

P.S wheres that video Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: