The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 20:39:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Cylinder head temp info please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cylinder head temp info please  (Read 2165 times)
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« on: March 06, 2017, 11:10:38 am »

Oh crap!  Cheesy
I really tried long and hard to find the answer to this before asking, but without any luck.

Firstly, no, I've never used a CHT gauge, you sorta get used to the "vibes" man, and slow down when you know it's too hot. Loud clunking noises are a bit of a giveaway as well.  Grin

But question. The usual T-couple sender place is under the plug, but the MexiBeetles have the sender bolted straight into the alloy chunky bit.
Is the MexiBeetle sender just for the EFI system, or is it used for a gauge in the cabin as well?
Has anyone directly compared the temps from the spark plug position to the temps from the chunky alloy bit?
Eg, is there a 20*C difference, a 40*C difference between the two spots, no correlation at all?
Why do aircraft seem to avoid the plug location in preference to the big chunky alloy bits?

It's all just curiosity mainly.
Thanks,
Dave
Martin S.

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 21:28:03 pm »

Mine was bolted onto the head stud and seems to work. It reads very low, but this motor was meant to run cool. Note the drilled fins, plus has a high squish chamber design.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: