The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 19:17:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Early Clutch Release Bearing big problem - help needed please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Early Clutch Release Bearing big problem - help needed please  (Read 2918 times)
Richierich56

« on: April 07, 2017, 01:33:29 am »

Hi all. Sorry this will be a bit long. I am at my wits end at the moment. Just got motor back in - transmission is a type 1 with an early style release bearing. Kennedy Stage 2 pressure plate (with the ring attachment on the fingers for early type release bearing) and new Daikin Super disc.

My issue is - I have set the clutch pedal free play to the correct amount (at the pedal) however, when the wingnut is adjusted to set this amount of play at the pedal the arm on the transmission literally will not move towards the front of the car (with your fingers from underneath) obviously meaning that the release bearing is hard against the pressure plate ring. If I back the wing nut off a turn I cant get gears without crunching and really having the pedal down to the floor hard.

Obviously, this will kill the release bearing in quick time. Someone on thesamba suggested that the arm is indexed wrong on the splines on the cross shaft for the release bearing fork. Does this sound feasible?

Bowden tube is in place with the correct amount of bend, clutch cable is good. I just cant understand what is going on here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really stuck with this. Anyone have any suggestions at all???

Thanks

Rich
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:42:45 am »

Have you checked the clutch tube in the tunnel?
Sounds like it broke loose and is flexing.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
richie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:52:48 am »

Pedal has a return stop bolted to floor, its in wrong place at moment sop not allowing pedal to come back enough, this restricts travel, you will find a 13mm head bolt holding a L shape plate to floor, the clutch[and brake] pedal rest against this, if you move stop forward slightly then pedals will come back a little allowing more movement, reset free play[not sure how you have the required free paly at pedal but none at arm? that doesn't make sense]

You might need to reset brake pedal free play after this as well

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
richie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:05 am »

Oh and the real problem is early pedals with late arm on gearbox, the ratio between the two things is wrong

cheers Richie

Richierich56

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 13:02:09 pm »

Thanks Richie, just to be clear, I need to move the stop forward? In slight increments or just move it the maximum available?

richie

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 13:12:58 pm »

Thanks Richie, just to be clear, I need to move the stop forward? In slight increments or just move it the maximum available?

Just a couple of mm should be enough, try that and see how much extra movement it gives you, if not enough then move it a little more

cheers Richie

Richierich56

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 14:13:35 pm »

OK I will try that tomorrow. What's the chances of the cable coming off the hook in the tunnel whilst doing this??

Have you heard of the forks on the release bearing shaft being too 'deep' meaning that the bearing cannot sit far enough back against the bellhousing?
richie

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 14:56:44 pm »

If cable is tight at back like you say then virtually no chance of cable coming off hook but try not to let pedal fall back to far

No never heard of that but cant see that affecting it, you don't have enough movement at back due to reduced ratio of longer late arm on trans and early short hook on pedal whatever your starting point is for bearing

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: