The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:42:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  greg aronson /jim holmes ragtop for sale ???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: greg aronson /jim holmes ragtop for sale ???  (Read 41080 times)
Joel Mohr

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2017, 17:27:13 pm »

Funny...I've lived in Hesperia since '84 and never saw it....

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
Russell

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2017, 18:14:37 pm »

Was put in his garage in 1984 and never went anywhere

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2017, 18:23:47 pm »

Very happy you got it Russell. If you are going back to February 1975 (which I wholeheartedly agree with) I do hope you put the appropriate front clip back on, but that's not my time or money speaking Smiley It's a big job, but if there ever was a car that deserved it, I believe this is it. Either way, we can all rest assured that it is in the most capable of hands. I hope you keep us updated on the progress of The White Car Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Bruce

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2017, 06:35:32 am »

I think Clyde or Doug bought the BRMs,,,
What are the chances of reuniting the original BRMs with this car.  Both of those boys are still around.  Anyone talked to them lately?
peach_

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2017, 09:03:45 am »

Was put in his garage in 1984 and never went anywhere

That's nuts! I wonder why he never used the car?  Huh

Congratulations Russell  Cool

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
alex d

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2017, 15:08:00 pm »

congratulations! can't wait to see pictures of the car
Russell

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2017, 00:04:37 am »

A massive thank you to Steve Wiedner for collecting and transporting the car for me yesterday, very much appreaciated, cheers pal.

Best Regards

Russell
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2017, 17:19:31 pm »

Be cool to see a remake of the cover of Hot VWs when finished restoring !

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Brian Rogers

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2017, 17:36:23 pm »

It would be fun to have the same people in that as well. That should include the officer as well. Don't know as you could find a legit Torino but a new Charger would be good as well.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2017, 18:22:51 pm »

It would be fun to have the same people in that as well. That should include the officer as well. Don't know as you could find a legit Torino but a new Charger would be good as well.
Linda was asked many times but always refused...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Martin S.

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2017, 19:36:40 pm »

Might be good having a new pic staged with young lookalikes, and similar vehicles.  Cheesy

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
GASBNR

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2017, 12:14:58 pm »

Fantastic news.

Look forward to seeing it progress.

Often copied, biggest form of compliment.

Great stuff Russell.

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2017, 05:34:30 am »

Excellent news Russell. It certainly is in safe hands. With regards to the front clip not being correct to the year of the car, I don't think that matters as it is part of the car's history - after all, it wasn't changed last year by some random guy, it was done many years ago by Keith Goss if I've read the history right, and that is quite cool in its own right.
The '63 is the car that put me onto the right path. I'd got my first Beetle (a stock '68) in early 1995, and didn't know much. It ended up lowered all round, it nearly had a horrid graphic paint job until I saw the issue of Volksworld with the Bill Taormina replica. Within a couple of months my car was dechromed, painted appliance white and had the back end put back up to stock height. Definitely inspirational!
    Neil , The front clip was done by Becker's Bug House ( not me) after Jim's wreck,,,Years later Cristy also crashed it and I pulled the front end away from the tires with a come-a-long and dead blow mallet, enough to make it driveable , no bodywork, no paint, JUST driveable.
Neil Davies

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2017, 07:46:09 am »

Excellent news Russell. It certainly is in safe hands. With regards to the front clip not being correct to the year of the car, I don't think that matters as it is part of the car's history - after all, it wasn't changed last year by some random guy, it was done many years ago by Keith Goss if I've read the history right, and that is quite cool in its own right.
The '63 is the car that put me onto the right path. I'd got my first Beetle (a stock '68) in early 1995, and didn't know much. It ended up lowered all round, it nearly had a horrid graphic paint job until I saw the issue of Volksworld with the Bill Taormina replica. Within a couple of months my car was dechromed, painted appliance white and had the back end put back up to stock height. Definitely inspirational!
    Neil , The front clip was done by Becker's Bug House ( not me) after Jim's wreck,,,Years later Cristy also crashed it and I pulled the front end away from the tires with a come-a-long and dead blow mallet, enough to make it driveable , no bodywork, no paint, JUST driveable.

Ah, right! Thanks for clearing that up Keith. It would be interesting to see if the front end that is now on it is the Beckers installed one that you pulled out or if it's been clipped again!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
WPS

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2017, 21:17:31 pm »

This is great news!! Congrats Russell!! Difficult to imagine a more important street car!!

I wrote a project at college in the late 80's about this car....very influential!! (the car....not my plagiarised project)  Roll Eyes

Xmas has come early this year!!

Ian

Wolfsburg Performance Services

WolfsburgPerformance.co.uk

Instagram:  wpsengines

07880-311850.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2017, 22:03:44 pm »

Hey Russell. I have a '63 clip from the a-pillars forward. If you think you might need it and can ship it with the car, it's yours.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2017, 23:49:18 pm »

Just a idea , But if your going on a third clip job , Might think about replaceing heater channels . That way you could remove heater channels from new clip and put on as a whole and not have any splice's to deal with door jam .

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Doogster

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2017, 11:32:24 am »

THis is awsome news! Chuffed it has been found.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Russell

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2017, 21:02:49 pm »

Hey Russell. I have a '63 clip from the a-pillars forward. If you think you might need it and can ship it with the car, it's yours.

Rick

Thx could you send me some pictures please, will pm you.

Thanks russell

Best Regards

Russell
deano

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2017, 23:59:31 pm »

Since the accident in question happened after the famous Feb 1975 cover shot and feature was done, it makes sense to me to restore the car back to the way it was in December 1974. In other words, replace the front clip the right way, with the correct year sheet metal and hinges. Although the stale air heater boxes and new engine case came after the accident.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2017, 00:45:59 am »

I have owned two 62s and one 63, all had 4screw hinges, I thought 3hole started in 65"skinny post"models ,,,Am I wrong???
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2017, 05:55:11 am »

Rick

Thx could you send me some pictures please, will pm you.

Thanks russell

It may have to wait until the weekend. It's at my Mom's house. I'll be there tomorrow evening but I don't know if I'll have enough light.

SlingShot

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2017, 20:16:04 pm »

It may have to wait until the weekend. It's at my Mom's house. I'll be there tomorrow evening but I don't know if I'll have enough light.

I feel better about not being the only guy with car, & parts at Moms house ,  Cheesy

Will Race For Beer !!!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2017, 23:13:28 pm »

I feel better about not being the only guy with car, & parts at Moms house ,  Cheesy

LOL... she's got a 6 car garage and can't drive anymore Wink

Seb

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2017, 18:57:47 pm »

Hey russell, have you got good news for us ?
chris67bug

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2017, 14:39:47 pm »

I've spent years wondering about this car since reading about it in Keith's book in the mid-90's.  Been checking for years for any news of it re-appearing but forgot to do so over the past few months... naturally!  Thrilled to read this thread and delighted that Russell has purchased it.  Was just reading about his 'pepto squareback' in volksworld 30 year edition yesterday! 

Hopefully we will see some restoration photos soon Russell or maybe a bit more of its post '75 history.

Now where is that damned Inch Pincher 2 then?  Huh

Chris

There’s nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines. That’ll give you a set of emotions that’ll stay with you. Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent.

– G.T.O. Two Lane Blacktop
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: