The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 09:48:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A everyday hero!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A everyday hero!  (Read 2752 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« on: October 08, 2007, 13:59:51 pm »

Last Tuesday my trusty 00 Transporter gave up on me, found out the hard way that the Volkswagen dealer in Follo don’t know how to service a Transporter. They didn't replace the water pump when they changed the timing belt....  BIG mistake on a 2,5 TDI. And while I work on it I need a car for my 90 km’s commute to work.
As my own VW all are undergoing work my good friend Gisle Malm lend my his in-between car... a 66.
He bought it as a unloved stocker for $500, but under a week from purchase it had new brakes, new Puma front beam, new shocks and a 1600 as engine. The old 1300 was knackered... might actually have died the day we picked it up. The previous owner wanted us to hear how nice it ran, and after a two year slumber he took it right up to valve float rpm’s... When we got him to stop it was to late. Oh and a another thing, the PO had a video tape of him accidentally drove THRU the back wall of his garage!! What’s the chance of anyone filming the BACK side of a garage and caches a bug coming thru....?

It now sits on some chrome 5,5 Porsche replicas with 125 up front (uh-oh) and 205/70 in the rear, the old German paint is scratched and worn thru in places... but it hides dents perfectly thanks to the satin finish it has acquired.

Anyway, this car now has a 1915 in it with 40 Dellortos and CBs upgrade kit for them. The cam is probably a W110 and the drivability is formidable, it gave a honest 105 horses on a dyno last fall, before we match ported the intakes on it. I have been riding in it for one week now and it is so much fun! If he ever decides to sell it I want it!

Come on let us see your workhorses!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 14:01:11 pm »

And a close up of the Speedshop logo.... dont mess with this bird!

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 15:50:31 pm »

I've been driving my non-daily driver '67 for the last 4 days of work.  It goes away to storage soon, so I might as well get my fill.  Its been great fun to be in it so much!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:24:06 am »

We were talking about putting the 66 into my barn yesterday, but since we didn't quite get the Transporter done I had to use it one more day.... and that turned out to be the first day with frost.... -5 degrees!  had to scrape ice of the windscreen...  Angry Angry

Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 08:44:11 am »

had to scrape ice of the windscreen...  Angry Angry

Used to have to do that with my Karmann Ghia - on the inside as well as the outside! Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 10:04:56 am »

That’s why OnePiece windows makes sense, easier to scrape the window on the outside while you are driving  Grin Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: