The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:44:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Venting drysump engine with porsche fanshroud?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Venting drysump engine with porsche fanshroud?  (Read 4089 times)
-Alex-

« on: June 19, 2017, 12:37:00 pm »

What kind of breather system would work with 2789cc drysump engine with 911 style shroud?

-Drysump tank location is at parcel shelf, it has two breather outlets at the top.

-911 style fan base has one M18x1.5 threaded outlet

-Possibly from fuelpump base can be vented too, i do not have distributor.

-I am looking mocal breatherbox, either 1 liter or 2 liter version:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/oil-catch-tanks/mocal-alloy-oil-catch-tank

Should i not vent the valvecovers?

Pictures are from Mr. Pieper:

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
spanners

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 23:20:50 pm »

motorsport regs need a catch tank for the DS tank and the whole issue needs isolating from the cabin, personly, cabin mount oil system is a PITA, oil fume stink, heat and lost dynamic possibilitys, and compex bulkheading make simple jobs difficult, so IMO the tank should be up front,, you need the front axle weight for both turning and braking and the oil tank volume is considerable and a constant, unlike the fuel volume which vanishes, why would you not vent the valve covers ?, and yes, use, the fuel pump plate to vent, i also use the dipstick tube on DS Motors, where oil slinging is less a problem then wet sump.j

Best regards, spanners.
-Alex-

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:39 am »

Front would be better, but i prefer simple installation to back. It can be covered with sheetmetal if necessary. Unfortunately due to the size, tank wont fit at bottom near transmission with käfer cup bars.

Many dont want to put venting to the 3/4 cyl valvecover, because it just fills with oil.  I'v seen put two AN10 or bigger venting to the case.

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
richie

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:27:13 am »

Many dont want to put venting to the 3/4 cyl valvecover, because it just fills with oil. 

on a dry sump engine?  if it does then dry sump scavenge is not set up correctly

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
-Alex-

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:36:51 am »

Drysump pump  is with 38mm scavenge gears and 26mm pressure gears. It only sucks from stock location. Made by Thorsten Pieper.

http://www.tp-technologie.de/produkte%20trockensumpfpumpe.htm

jim martin

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 04:13:48 am »

i agree ,mounting a oil tank up that high and inside the car <then try venting that is a issue.
what i have done is vent 1" id line from case in your situation from generator stand area,fuel pump location is not good too much oil gets tossed up there ,run line from generator stand area up and over to tank then from tank again1" id hose up to high as possible mounted breather.
my tank is behind the right rearwheel and breather is in the engine bay up high.
no issues
need large id line to allow correct air movement and allow oil to not be carried with it

B.C's fastest street legal vw , June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.812 at 145.26 mph
Sponsored by :
     LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   http://www.lucasoil.com
     KROC head porting services
     Dialedinperformance.com
-Alex-

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:22:15 am »

It is not racecar so there must be compromises. Tank stays at parcelshelf, it works there too on many germanlookers.

I wanted to use AN10 teflonhoses because it has smaller fittings than AN12 but it is bigger id than rubber AN10 hose. Possibly return to case with AN8 hose.

I'v heard that high rpm engines can make the breather box overfill etc when valvecovers are vented.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548639&highlight=venting+valvecovers

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:28:55 am by -Alex- » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: