The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:32:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  ECU recommendation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ECU recommendation  (Read 6424 times)
Tufty65

« on: July 26, 2017, 17:09:32 pm »

With my new engine build for drag racing I am looking for a good ecu in to use.
I know Some would say I should be choosing one which my tuner knows best but as I don't have a tuner yet I'm just looking for ideas of what's good and what's not.
I've looked at megasquirt and that looks too amateur for my liking, DTA is used by a number of people here in the UK and I'm liking Omex 600 or 710 series which comes with ready built looms which seem to have enough functionality for my needs.
What would people suggest, either good or bad?
Thanks Simon

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 18:19:52 pm »

The newer DTA are pretty good and reasonably easy to work with. The Omex I donīt care for. EMU is a nice unit at a good price. Not that I have much experience with it though, the MS3 seems to close a lot of holes where the MS2 base was lacking. On the track the people that runs the MS3 (in legal street race) seem to have very little down time.
But since you are UK based I think I would recommend the DTA. Much easier for you if something goes wrong or if you need support.
T
Tufty65

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 21:51:58 pm »

That's good advice thanks, I was deciding between DTA and  OMEX, is there any reason you don't like omex ?

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
Chip

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 01:23:10 am »

One of the major developers of the ms3 firmware is UK based. Any of the MS3-Pro variants will be leaps and bounds more capable than almost anything else in their price range. I have an MS3-Pro in my street/strip car. I think Mexx runs one as well in his bottle fed ghia...
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:16:27 am »

One of the major developers of the ms3 firmware is UK based. Any of the MS3-Pro variants will be leaps and bounds more capable than almost anything else in their price range.
Price range, yes. But other than that it just became level with other good systems on the market.
Tufty. The 710 is actually fine and works within the same boundaries as most others. The 600 series is old fashioned and not worth the money IMHO. Personally I think the new series of DTA is better.
Johnnie

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:54:44 pm »

Did you look at link engine management systems.
Check out www.tdp.ie chat robbie a very informed guy when it comes to ecu mapping.
dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 22:32:21 pm »

dta are on the end of the phone with full support in uk and also have a forum that the main guy runs and will even help you out over weekends if he can

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Tufty65

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 23:16:36 pm »

dta are on the end of the phone with full support in uk and also have a forum that the main guy runs and will even help you out over weekends if he can

Do they do a full kit with the ecus i.e. With a ready made loom that you can just fit and attach the sensors and go? I'm ok at basic wiring but making a loom with banks of relays would be out of my league.
Do they have provision on the ecus for inputting a wide band afr and lambda input?

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
dannyboy

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 11:17:25 am »

Yes I believe they sell the looms .look on the website or give them a call s60 or above s40 won't log data

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
andy198712

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 09:54:34 am »

are you going to be self tuning or taking to a tuner?
Tufty65

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 11:28:44 am »

are you going to be self tuning or taking to a tuner?
Taking it to a tuner

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
spoolin70

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 11:59:28 am »

So wouldn't it be better to find a tuner first before deciding on the ecu ?

My local rolling road is familiar with DTA and Omex. I had a DTA on my last engine and when a used Omex 710 came up for sale, I bought that. Sent it back to Omex for calibration/testing and firmware update so it's now ready to fit.

The latest and greatest ecu might look good on a spec sheet but if your taking it to a tuner that doesn't understand it or doesn't have the ability to map it, it's going to be a very expensive useless box of electronics  Wink
Tufty65

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 14:57:07 pm »

My local rolling road is familiar with DTA and Omex. I had a DTA on my last engine and when a used Omex 710 came up for sale, I bought that. Sent it back to Omex for calibration/testing and firmware update so it's now ready to fit.

The latest and greatest ecu might look good on a spec sheet but if your taking it to a tuner that doesn't understand it or doesn't have the ability to map it, it's going to be a very expensive useless box of electronics  Wink

I already have a tuner lined up and he is familiar with all of the above i was just looking for suggestions from other people too Smiley

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
andy198712

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 21:03:34 pm »

I already have a tuner lined up and he is familiar with all of the above i was just looking for suggestions from other people too Smiley

Thats good, thats what i was getting at, no use choosing an ECU if the tuner isn't spammed up the software ect  Cool

personally i use megasquirt and its been great for me
PPRMicke

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 16:20:14 pm »

FUELTECH !!!!!
FT 500 or 600
http://www.fueltech.net/categories/fueltech/engine-management-systems
/// Micke
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: