The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 20:45:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Crank with Type 1 main or Type 4 main?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crank with Type 1 main or Type 4 main?  (Read 6066 times)
runningmonkey

« on: August 08, 2017, 13:12:28 pm »

Hi all

Am building a 2332 which am going to turbo and EFI (using CB performance kit)

Iv just bought a 84mm Scat Crank with type 1 mains, but Iv been told what I really should have bought is a crank with a type 4 main bearing?

Could someone please tell what the benefits are of using the type 4 bearing? and am I still going to be ok with my type 1 bearing crank?

Cheers in advance John
UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 18:17:54 pm »

Hi John

T4 mains are stronger.

Sometimes they run a T4 center main.

The Crank can flex at high RPM.

What Crank have you got?

Maybe sell it and get something better, I like Scat Cranks.

Cheers, Nick

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
Tufty65

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 22:21:56 pm »

Hi all

Am building a 2332 which am going to turbo and EFI (using CB performance kit)

Iv just bought a 84mm Scat Crank with type 1 mains, but Iv been told what I really should have bought is a crank with a type 4 main bearing?

Could someone please tell what the benefits are of using the type 4 bearing? and am I still going to be ok with my type 1 bearing crank?

Cheers in advance John

The simple benefit is strength.
I used a type 1 main crank on a 2332 cb turbo motor and it held up for quite a few years but I had the crank assembly dynamically balanced too,all the pistons and rods matched,  it will be ok but will undoubtedly flex more than a t4 main crank will at high rpm.
If your case is a t1 mains bore you could use a t4 centre main crank and use the BMW conversion bearing so it will fit on your case without machine work.
The strongest cranks out there use all t4 mains and bigger but cost more.

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
richie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:01:10 am »

Hi John

the actual difference is type 4 mains being bigger size means crank has more overlap material between main journals and rod journals which makes crank stronger and less prone to flex. All type 4 mains creates a lot of other problems for case work though, type 4 center main only is not to bad to do mods to case.

Here's some real world experience, not just internet stories Wink

I personally have a Scat 84mm type 1 mains crank I ran in Old cabrio for 8 years, starting as a N/A engine, then Nitrous engine, finally turbo engine and went as quick as 9.66 with, I then sold it and it went into another turbo car, was then sold and went into another turbo car and is still running today 17 years on Shocked, its never even been reground, just been polished once so yes it can work without type 4 mains Grin
Its all about the tune & set up, even with type 4 mains if its done wrong it will still break!!!!

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
leec

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:55:13 am »

That's a great value crank there Smiley
bedjo78

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:03:10 am »

Hi Richie

was the crankshaft wedgemated ?

runningmonkey

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 13:39:20 pm »

Hi John

the actual difference is type 4 mains being bigger size means crank has more overlap material between main journals and rod journals which makes crank stronger and less prone to flex. All type 4 mains creates a lot of other problems for case work though, type 4 center main only is not to bad to do mods to case.

I personally have a Scat 84mm type 1 mains crank I ran in Old cabrio for 8 years, starting as a N/A engine, then Nitrous engine, finally turbo engine and went as quick as 9.66 with, I then sold it and it went into another turbo car, was then sold and went into another turbo car and is still running today 17 years on Shocked, its never even been reground, just been polished once so yes it can work without type 4 mains Grin
Its all about the tune & set up, even with type 4 mains if its done wrong it will still break!!!!

cheers Richie

Thanks Richie! That's put my mine at ease! Many thanks!  Cool
Andy

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 14:38:27 pm »

cheers Richie

Was that a Chevy journal crank.

I am in the middle of trying to to choose a crank for a new engine , either 2276 or 2332, for Strip and Street use. 😉

Cheers Andy.

richie

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 19:14:58 pm »

Hi Richie

was the crankshaft wedgemated ?

Later on in its life it was when turboed it was yes

SSRT

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 22:20:42 pm »

Hi John

cheers Richie

Magnesium case or alu?
bedjo78

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 23:20:00 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

thanks .. for good information you passed as always
richie

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 07:06:05 am »

Hi John

cheers Richie

Magnesium case or alu?

Mag case when N/A and nitrous, then ally for turbo

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 07:06:28 am »

[/quote]

thanks .. for good information you passed as always
[/quote]

Smiley  No problem

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 08:21:04 am »

Some more real world experience. Ran a welded 78mm stroker from Pauter, all VW journals, turbo and turbo with 50 shot nitrous, for five seasons (one in Flat Attack, four in No Mercy). Engine sold to Ken Blomer and then to Natashia Garcia for use in their cars. Crank never needed grinding, or straightening. Magnesium cases only.

OK, not a long stroke by today's standards, but if everything is carefully balanced, it's amazing how long old shit can last. T4 main bearing conversion was around at the time but all the related hassle never seemed to make it worth it, and I had no evidence it was needed in my situation...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: