The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 13:12:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What is it about the growl from a pair of IDAs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What is it about the growl from a pair of IDAs?  (Read 12690 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 23:12:12 pm »

Cry

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 23:22:41 pm »

Cry Cry Cry.....ROFL!

DKP III
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 00:00:32 am »

Could you please warn me when your going to do something like that . Now how do you go about explaining that one to my little girl  Roll Eyes

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 00:10:36 am »

Could you please warn me when your going to do something like that . Now how do you go about explaining that one to my little girl  Roll Eyes

Lynne not that little Glenn. Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
58vw

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2007, 05:39:37 am »

i dated a girl that just went crazy at the sound of them carbs howlin.....got lucky alot.......

damn....i miss her

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
stealth67vw

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2007, 06:08:30 am »

To get the most auditory effect out of your IDAs build a small engine with a big friggin cam and floor it way under the power band of the cam. It'll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck until it gets "on" the cam.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
fastfred

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2007, 14:08:50 pm »

i still have some sweatshirts and tshirts for sale to show off your preference for italy's loudest carbs from bologna... contact me at fastfred@autobahn.be

FREDDYFILES 2012 on MARCH 11th !
Jim Ratto

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 18:26:14 pm »

hi guys,
i ll be using efi,
but want a that bark as well Smiley
what is it that the IDAs make louder ?
what do you think?

honestly, and I know this sounds weird, but I think the venturi makes all the difference. Seem like 48's with "smallish" vents really REALLY bark, almost like a pierceing snap. I think the venturi makes the carb kind of like a horn or a reed instrument. the air passing through vent makes a harmonic vibration we can hear. I don't know, I'm not a scientist. Just a guess.
lawrence

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 20:45:05 pm »

To get the most auditory effect out of your IDAs build a small engine with a big friggin cam and floor it way under the power band of the cam. It'll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck until it gets "on" the cam.

You are right, John. 1914, 86b and 48s Wink

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Tony M

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 20:52:25 pm »

hey jim it think you hit a good one here - and you were woried

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2007, 21:31:46 pm »

This morning, a friend call me because he will start his race car. 6 longs years of sleeping...
Engine is a type 4 2.4l. 48IDA, one off exhaust, 214hp on the dyno. Built to run endurace race.
Men, the sound of this engine reving in the garage  Shocked Shocked . how could you not fall in love off this. 15min off happiness.
I hope next time he will repair the gearbox and go for a ride  Grin
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2007, 17:11:19 pm »

Dells sound like there is a bird under the decklid at idle. Chirp,chirp.

No kidding! IDFs sound the same way.

IDAs and Kadrons sound the meanest!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Ivan

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 12:37:55 pm »

I remember back in 1999 I was part of the "Return to the Fatherland" tour. The cars were off loaded in England and we had an appointment the next day at Stanford Hall (?).
Of course there were several Brits welcoming us. Ivan from VolksWorld fame was there with his white 63 Ragtop. A buddy of his grabbed the keys and I asked for a ride. We took off down the road and he let into the gas pedal. At first I thought someone was shooting a machine gun at us!!! But it was the sound of the two 48!!! Damn!!! I have to get me a pair of those! I was hooked, period
Erich

I remember that mission Erich!
You had a good blast in my old '63 Ragtop, didn't you?! I can remember you being a changed man when you came back from that e-ticket ride!

That car is now owned by Matt Sanchez, but I still have that motor - it's now in my '67.  Since then it has had a bit of reworking done to it, but it's still basically the same Gene Berg 78mm forged crank, Carrillo rods,  FK10 bottom end. The heads are VW040 by Mary at Pauter Machine. The Berg rockers have gone and I've replaced the 48IDAs that were on it with NOS Italian stallions.

I can also remember the beer flowed freely that night and this in turn lead to some of us spiraling off into oblivion. I also won't ever forget the next morning when driving to Stanford Hall, in the usual spirited manner, and nearly loosing the '63 at speed half way through a fast right hand bend - I think the fact the passenger door window was my windshield at one point should give you an idea of how close we were to becoming part of the scenery...
I don't think I've ever come as close to thinking it was all over in a VW. After coming out of it in one piece - I turned and looked at my friend Ben Lawrence who was a whiter shade of pale in the passenger seat, held my nose to help me do my best Raymond Babbitt impersonation and said "Of course, I'm an excellent driver" - We laughed for about five minutes!
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 21:35:27 pm »

honestly, and I know this sounds weird, but I think the venturi makes all the difference. Seem like 48's with "smallish" vents really REALLY bark, almost like a pierceing snap. I think the venturi makes the carb kind of like a horn or a reed instrument. the air passing through vent makes a harmonic vibration we can hear. I don't know, I'm not a scientist. Just a guess.
[/quote]

I think you might be on to something there I run 37 vents. in mine and I love the "bark"  great thread.   

hmmm maybe this is what Cal Look means..... Cool

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 23:46:59 pm »

37mm vents in such a large engine?  Shocked

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2008, 05:08:55 am »

yup,   180 mains  50 idles   F11 emulsions dont remember airs.  FK10  it rarely sees more than 6500rpm 

never have tuned it for the track. Since my trans is geared so tall.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Dave Galassi

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2008, 06:48:53 am »

I find that the more overlap the cam has, the more compression (of course), the louder the IDAs. Also, EFI dual throttle bodies are too quiet for my ears.

[/quote]

I wish my EFI was quiet Dean.  Maybe it's that big engine bay..........

I don't think that sounds weird at all, Uncle Jim.  Having spent some time in the back of Allen's vert two weeks ago and with the time I've spent driving the truck, both 2110's with EFI, the sound is the same, but different from a 48 motor in that I didn't hear what I thought was the air going past the venturis.  The throatiness is there, though, to me.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 10:20:59 am »

I don't think that sounds weird at all, Uncle Jim.  Having spent some time in the back of Allen's vert two weeks ago and with the time I've spent driving the truck, both 2110's with EFI, the sound is the same, but different from a 48 motor in that I didn't hear what I thought was the air going past the venturis.  The throatiness is there, though, to me.

The throatiness comes from the Size of the engine and the separate runners, so it should be the same for all similar sice carbs. But the higher tones, like the "hiss" sounds I think comes from the layout on the rest of the parts in the IDA, that would not be the same in an efi motor.
And those noises is part of the "crazy" feel you get when you are flooring a IDA engine.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: