The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 19:50:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Heads by Gene Brown!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Heads by Gene Brown!  (Read 3160 times)
Sture S

« on: October 13, 2017, 19:35:18 pm »

Did some digging in my garage and found some old S/F heads from Dave Perkins old Blue Pro Turbo.
I know most of the history and provenance but have some missing pieces.

Need your help to get the history behind the heads and " Gene Brown" and Heads Up!

Thanks!
//Sture

Tried to post some picture, but failed :-)

'56 Beetle "The Professor's Oval-window"
dave perkins

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 19:37:28 pm »

Did some digging in my garage and found some old S/F heads from Dave Perkins old Blue Pro Turbo.
I know most of the history and provenance but have some missing pieces.

Need your help to get the history behind the heads and " Gene Brown" and Heads Up!

Thanks!
//Sture

Tried to post some picture, but failed :-)

Test my memory, what do you want to know?
Sture S

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 17:27:27 pm »

Hi Dave!
thank you for replaying on my post.

15 years ago I saw an ad on some S/F heads that was fore sale.
My plan was to use this heads on my Cal Looker.
The deal ended up with, that I bought most (all) of the parts that was from your old engine.
I did recognized that it was your old engine from the article that Bo Bertilsson wrote for Bilsport magazine (no. 12/1991) and from the article with Sören in Wheels magazine 6/1991

The looker is gone, but the engine have been laying around i the back of my garage for a long time  Smiley.
I do remember that i tried to find some more information about "Heads by Gene Brown" back then.
And his connection to Heads up? I have not found anything on him before and later in Connection with dragracing?

Would be interesting if you could share with us some more, about the heads, the porting and hole history about the engine and your racing at that time.

Thanks!
Sture

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 19:17:11 pm by Sture S » Logged

dave perkins

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 21:14:55 pm »

“Heads by Gene Brown”:  Gene is a longtime friend; I lived across the street from him back in the late eights. I was renting a house with Cary Taylor and Ron Lummus at the time. Gene was doing the heads on Cary’s ProStock car. He ported and maintained the heads on my old blue car. There was not any connection with “Heads Up” other that the Mag clamp in the picture.

The motor was a 78x92, Rayjay Turbo, Holly 750, VW case, S/F Heads, Pauter rockers, Pauter VW weld crank…. That set up ran 9.63 at 145 MPH in Pro Turbo. When the car was sold to Sören in 1990 it held the HotVws A/S and  A/SX records for ET and MPH.
Sture S

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 17:13:34 pm »

Dave, thanks for sharing!

I'm pleased to get some more info on the Heads and the Man behind Smiley Thanks!

As I mention before, most of the engine are remaning, except for a few missing parts
Sören or the owner after him have change the combo and drove a 69 x92 set up.
Talked to Sören the other week and didn't remember what happened to the 78 crank.

Dave i think I have read that you had bigger engine too - Did you ever put that one in The Blue?
Did you ever run any Nitro oxide runs?

Thanks!
/Sture

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: