The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 15:26:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  props to shubee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: props to shubee  (Read 19113 times)
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« on: October 10, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

as of recent viewing of this forum  i have become aware of a few things that perhaps i did not years ago and want to thank (gary)aka..shubee for some good emotions...one of the cleanest/nicest/and fast vw's i wished i had was the blue oval window that gary built years ago and i had the privilege to sell it along with some others at the time>>AND what a special piece of history that car represented for me peronally as i remember...it belonged to mark rosevear of auto haus fame in the early 70's when it was white and it was the first race i ever had im my 63 stock carbed s/p 1600 against a dual 48 car...i slammed him in all 3 gears till about 75mph(as he was at my door)) i shut down and after our engagement we showed our engine bays...LOL...i can still see the look on their faces...oh my god..!!..LOL..as a result from our meeting that great evening i  started working for his father/owner of "auto haus" and the rest is history..!!  and i know this as a direct result from skimming this wonderful forum and finding some reference to that car and wanted to say thanks for making me remember and to :shubee" for such a nice job on rebuilding that car to xlnt standards  and in recreating some lost history for me and others/    ...happy times/dyno don
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 04:39:37 am »

Thanks for The Kind Words Dyno I have Always Held High Standards on everything I have Ever Done Or Built I have Never Used Cheap Parts On Any Car I Have Built. I feel You Get what You Pay For so Why Cut Corners  I Do Not Like Over Built Cars or Trailer Queens If Your Going To Build It Drive It  Why Dump A Ton Of Money In Something that will sit around and never get used the whole Idea is to Have A Nice Car Fast And Driveable.. That Is One Of The Reasons I Push The 70's Cal Look So Much I Was There And Those Car's Were Fast and they were Driven Daily if you look at the old Hot VW's Mags. at  The Early Club Cars most had Beckers Bug House Paint Jobs And They Ran A Half Or Full Bra to Protect the Paint Job From Chips because they were driven daily Not like cars today where they Hide under car covers in peoples garages...  here is a before and after picture of my blue Oval  (56 Kafer)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 14:06:08 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:20:42 am »

I Do Not Like Over Built Cars or Trailer Queens If Your Going To Build It Drive It  Why Dump A Ton Of Money In Something that will sit around and never get used the whole Idea is to Have A Nice Car Fast And Driveable.. That Is One Of The Reasons I Push The 70's Cal Look So Much I Was There And Those Car Were Fast and they were Driven Daily if you look at the old Hot VW's Mags. at  The Early Club Cars most had Beckers Bug House Paint Jobs And They Ran A Half Or Full Bra to Protect the Paint Job From Chips because they were driven daily Not like cars today where they Hide under car covers in peoples garages... 

that is exactly the feeling a lot of people have on this forum. i guess a lot of us here in europe are in the stage of owning a car that still can be driven in the street. at least that is what i see from a lot of european clubs. they drive there car to shows and race it for the weekend. constantly updating it with the stuff they collect in the course of years. even if a new car makes it's debut at a show, it usually has been in the making for a couple of years and maybe allready was there, but with a different paintjob or with a different interieur. so i appreciate it very much to hear your stories and advice.
keep up the good work you young ones!  Grin
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 14:10:40 pm »

I Do Not Like Over Built Cars or Trailer Queens If Your Going To Build It Drive It  Why Dump A Ton Of Money In Something that will sit around and never get used the whole Idea is to Have A Nice Car Fast And Driveable.. That Is One Of The Reasons I Push The 70's Cal Look So Much I Was There And Those Car Were Fast and they were Driven Daily if you look at the old Hot VW's Mags. at  The Early Club Cars most had Beckers Bug House Paint Jobs And They Ran A Half Or Full Bra to Protect the Paint Job From Chips because they were driven daily Not like cars today where they Hide under car covers in peoples garages... 

that is exactly the feeling a lot of people have on this forum. i guess a lot of us here in europe are in the stage of owning a car that still can be driven in the street. at least that is what i see from a lot of european clubs. they drive there car to shows and race it for the weekend. constantly updating it with the stuff they collect in the course of years. even if a new car makes it's debut at a show, it usually has been in the making for a couple of years and maybe allready was there, but with a different paintjob or with a different interieur. so i appreciate it very much to hear your stories and advice.
LOL Young Ones???  Shubee? Dyno?  YOUNG?? we are a Couple of Old Farts that Refuse to Change The Years We Lived and Breathed VW Cal Looks WE Are Trying to RELIVE are Younger Days LOL Grin Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 14:32:42 pm »

old cal lookers rocks  Grin Grin
another young one  Cheesy
cheer
 fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 14:55:05 pm »

LOL Young Ones???  Shubee? Dyno?  YOUNG?? we are a Couple of Old Farts that Refuse to Change The Years We Lived and Breathed VW Cal Looks WE Are Trying to RELIVE are Younger Days LOL Grin Grin Grin

i DO mean young ones! i was lucky to talk to Ron Flemming at bad camberg and he has so much engergy and enthousiasm. i loved it. and it seems like you guys have it too. except you allready lived it many moons ago, but nevertheless you share the enthousiasm of people who just get involved and are on the same quest for horsepower in a street cal-look. i just wanted to say that callook is well alive at the moment here in europe and it is great to see that a lot of people care so much for their cars and fellow enthousiasts and it is great that you guys get a kick out of it as well.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 18:48:27 pm »

1. If you're so against Today's cars, what are you doing here?

2. Your statement that cars of today all live under car covers is bunk, man. I for one, don't even own a car cover. My car gets me to work and back about 3 or 4 days a week. My car is driven all over Southern California.

3. Stop making yourself feel good by putting everyone else down. Nobody is looking for your approval. Your alleged car may be different from the rest of the crowd, but does that give you the right to bang heads with everybody here on the Lounge? I am just one of many that is getting tired of hearing about how YOU are the only guy that knows how to do anything right. It's cool that you've been into VW's for so long and that you have some neat parts, but man, lighten up on bagging on the rest of us. Get your story straight.

I'm sorry to post negatively here, as you guys are all my buddies...and I enjoy screwing off here. C'mon Shubee....take your props with dignity and stop whining.  Smiley
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 19:12:07 pm »

Were is he whining? Just his personal opinions, ok we have heard them before... But I must agree with some of it. There really is lots of overbuilt cars out there. Many of them have all the "right" bits on them, but they still tend to hit of target on what I feel makes a cal look car. Simplicity...
duckmoth
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 19:31:42 pm »

Iv'e been watching this web site for awhile now, i just became a member and iv'e been noticing this guy shubee bragging alot about how good his car is and how he boasts about how good he does things.  Thats fine and dandy and all but everybody does things differently shubee not everything has to be done your way, it's all about style. Are those the only pics of your once was?  You should show the lounge your car.
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 19:33:11 pm »

2. Your statement that cars of today all live under car covers is bunk, man. I for one, don't even own a car cover. My car gets me to work and back about 3 or 4 days a week. My car is driven all over Southern California.

3. Stop making yourself feel good by putting everyone else down. Nobody is looking for your approval. Your alleged car may be different from the rest of the crowd, but does that give you the right to bang heads with everybody here on the Lounge? I am just one of many that is getting tired of hearing about how YOU are the only guy that knows how to do anything right. It's cool that you've been into VW's for so long and that you have some neat parts, but man, lighten up on bagging on the rest of us. Get your story straight.

I'm sorry to post negatively here, as you guys are all my buddies...and I enjoy screwing off here. C'mon Shubee....take your props with dignity and stop whining.  Smiley

I got to agree with Jim here..  Stop with the 70's 80's B S.  We are making history as we go.  Plenty of cars today are driven on a daily basis.  So what if people have trailer queen cars, so what if people have their cars under covers, so what if they don't drive them often, so what if they dump a ton of money on their cars, so what if people bought their car instead of building it.  We all don't have to like the same things.....  Let's not put people down because of their taste.....  Besides, if its someones choice, someones money, someones time, someones hobby, etc.... Who cares!!!  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 19:34:42 pm by Carlos De Alba » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
duckmoth
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 19:41:12 pm »

I got to agree with Jim here..  Stop with the 70's 80's B S.  We are making history as we go.  Plenty of cars today are driven on a daily basis.  So what if people have trailer queen cars, so what if people have their cars under covers, so what if they don't drive them often, so what if they dump a ton of money on their cars, so what if people bought their car instead of building it.  We all don't have to like the same things.....  Let's not put people down because of their taste.....  Besides, if its someones choice, someones money, someones time, someones hobby, etc.... Who cares!!!  
Right on Carlos, couldn't agree with you and Jim more. It's your car and you can do whatever you want to with it, and you shouldn't have to take crap from someone who is not open minded. Was the inch pincher trailerd when it went to the races i believe so Grin
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 19:55:53 pm »

C’mon……..the point of the lounge is to have a good time and get to know people who enjoy the same hobby ..not to be bragging about how great you are or how you are the best builder or how much you know or who you know!!!    Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 20:20:06 pm »

ok guys  stop that tread we are here to have great moment and talking about vw not to attack ,you've your point of vue and shubbe is one
keep cool guys
fabs
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 21:06:25 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 20:59:35 pm »

I got to agree with Jim here..  Stop with the 70's 80's B S.
[/quote]

Not to start any more arguements here, but is'nt the 70's and 80's what the lounge is all about?

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 21:19:55 pm »

Got to agree with you there Rune , We are all living in the past here really . wasn't it all started back in the day buy a bunch of guy's tuning up car's they could afford to work with , it kind of snow balled from there  Cool.
If we were really up with the time's should we not be tuning the cars of today ? wash my mouth out with soap someone  Lips Sealed Shocked Grin

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 22:17:35 pm »

I Did Not Put Down Anyones Car I was Stating about the Cars Me and Dyno Once Had Jim you always get your Panties in a Bunch Did I say Your Car Was Under A Cover?? or you Dont Drive Your Car?? Not That I Even Care,if your Car Runs or not,I am Living The 70's Cal Look and Thats My Thing. I Dont Know Where you are Resto Cal 70's,80's,90's,2000's a little of everything But thats your thing not Mine I have My Opinon and you have Yours ..

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
sheep

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 22:25:14 pm »

yeah Jim it sounds like you have your tube top and pantys tied up in a bunch.
Is your lipstick smeard???

pictures to follow soon.

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 22:26:21 pm »

I Did Not Put Down Anyones Car I was Stating about the Cars Me and Dyno Once Had Jim you always get your Panties in a Bunch Did I say Your Car Was Under A Cover?? or you Dont Drive Your Car?? Not That I Even Care,if your Car Runs or not,I am Living The 70's Cal Look and Thats My Thing. I Dont Know Where you are Resto Cal 70's,80's,90's,2000's a little of everything But thats your thing not Mine I have My Opinon and you have Yours ..

You've got it all, Gary. You win. You ARE CAL LOOK.

The Rest Of The Cars Today Are Resto Cal Wanna BE's Right Shubee? We Are All Trailer Queens With Cheap Parts. We Can Never Aspire to Be As Great as You or Your Old School CAl Look Cars.

Kiss
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 22:26:57 pm »

C’mon……..the point of the lounge is to have a good time and get to know people who enjoy the same hobby ..not to be bragging about how great you are or how you are the best builder or how much you know or who you know!!!    Grin
You Dont Even no what you are talking about I am not bragging about how great I AM or how you are the best builder or how much you know or who you know!!!    Grin   DYNO DID THAT FOR ME!!!  ASK SomeONE who knows before you type your crap about me I Build My Cars Not Buy Them Done There is a Big Difference

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 22:30:09 pm »

You've got it all, Gary. You win. You ARE CAL LOOK.

The Rest Of The Cars Today Are Resto Cal Wanna BE's Right Shubee? We Are All Trailer Queens With Cheap Parts. We Can Never Aspire to Be As Great as You or Your Old School CAl Look Cars.

Kiss

It's not a Wanta Be A Cal Look  it is a Cal Look  just more of a Resto Cal Style
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 22:37:40 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 22:31:30 pm »

yeah Jim it sounds like you have your tube top and pantys tied up in a bunch.
Is your lipstick smeard???

pictures to follow soon.
Sheep you look good in Yellow LMAO Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 22:31:51 pm »

Ok, now you are the one with the pantys tied up in a bunch.............. I never said "you" "shubee"..........I was talking in general.....

If the shoe fits.......then......wear it....

Do you see your name on my quote?? No right.........then!!!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 22:36:57 pm »

ok guys  stop that tread we are here to have great moment and talking about vw not to attack ,you've your point of vue and shubbe is one
keep cool guys
fabs

Couldn't agree more dude, I have just finished telling a friend of mine that there are NEVER any arguments here on the lounge - So lets keep that way guys  Smiley

I got to agree with Jim here..  Stop with the 70's 80's B S.

Not to start any more arguements here, but is'nt the 70's and 80's what the lounge is all about?

Again i would have to agree The Lounge is all about the 70's and 80's - Lets face it most of us on here no matter what our age are stuck in 70's after all it was the  Golden era of Cal Look  Smiley

I will say though I do very much agree with Gary aka Shubee that MOST of the cars coming out today are very much "over built" both here in the UK and over there in the USA and are not what I personally call "Cal Look" ie too narrow, wrong tires, etc etc etc etc BUT this is just My personal opinion and whilst I do try and influence these guys/cars  Wink I would NEVER dream of telling someone how to build the car they want to build - its all about personal taste  Smiley

It is a very similar situation here in the UK with so called "Period Perfect Buggies"  which most people know is a subject very close to my heart Grin Now this may cause a bit of a stir BUT I truely believe that Mine and My friend Robs Meyers Manx's are the only 2 TRUE "Period Perfect buggies"  again guys this is just my personal opinion Wink Smiley

So there we have Guys my 2 cents for what its worth   Smiley

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 22:45:36 pm by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 22:40:20 pm »

keep cool guys
fabs

Couldn't agree more dude, I have just finished telling a friend of mine that there are NEVER any arguments here on the lounge - So lets kep that way guys  Smiley

I got to agree with Jim here..  Stop with the 70's 80's B S.

Again i would have to agree The Lounge is all about the 70's and 80's - Lets face it most of us on here no matter what our age are stuck in 70's after all it was the  Golden era of Cal Look  Smiley

I will say though I do very much agree with Gary aka Shubee that MOST of the cars coming out today are very much "over built" both here in the UK and over there in the USA and are not what I personally call "Cal Look" ie too narrow, wrong tires, etc etc etc etc BUT this is just My personal opinion and whilst I do try and influence these guys/cars  Wink I would NEVER dream of telling someone how to build the car they want to build - its all about personal taste  Smiley

It is a very similar situation here in the UK with so called "Period Perfect Buggies"  which most people know is a subject very close to my heart Grin Now this may cause a bit of a stir BUT I truely believe that Mine and My friend Robs Meyers Manx's are the only 2 TRUE "Period Perfect buggies"  again guys this is just my personal opinion Wink Smiley

So there we have Guys my 2 cents for what its worth   Smiley

I Agree with you Lee Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 22:41:44 pm »

Ok, now you are the one with the pantys tied up in a bunch.............. I never said "you" "shubee"..........I was talking in general.....

If the shoe fits.......then......wear it....

Do you see your name on my quote?? No right.........then!!!
And I never Said "Carlos" but you get the Point Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 22:43:33 pm »

Actually, you did... since you quote my post............. But let's just continue having fun and drop this b.s

Der Kleiner Panzers
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 22:45:07 pm »

amen.
let's just enjoy the crazy passion with all have in common.

there's enough b.s. out there in the big bad world  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
moxama
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 23:11:22 pm »

What happened to duckmoth?  He had some good points.
Tony 66
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 23:18:21 pm »

I use the best parts, I built my cars, I was there, I never use cheap parts, I hate trailer queens, I hate people who put lots of money on their cars, I built stuff the right way, bla bla bla bla bla bla...........

You arrogant bastard.  Every word that come out of your mouth.

let's see pictures of your current car by the way..Not pictures of cars you OWNED.

my guess is that you don't have a cell phone, or electric garage door, or maybe you are typing from a type writter since you live in the 70's.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 23:27:48 pm »

What happened to duckmoth?  He had some good points.

To me it looks like he just logged on as Moxama! IP addresses are a bitch

Things are getting out of hand here on the Lounge.... its sad but it gives the moderators no choise!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: