The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:23:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Adding a crank trigger
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Adding a crank trigger  (Read 4418 times)
runningmonkey

« on: September 18, 2017, 13:56:41 pm »

I have a pre built and balance 2332cc motor that am going to Turbo and EFI later in the year. But I totally forgot that I need to add a Crank trigger pulley for the EFi setup. The problem I have is my engine is already balance to another crank pulley so I can't really change it unless I split my case and get my engine re-balanced with the new pulley, which is something am hopeing to avoid.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can do a crank trigger setup with out changing my pulley?

Cheers in advance

Chip

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 14:07:56 pm »

Cb performance sells a kit that requires no pulley mods. It just hangs of the end of the crank.
leec

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 14:24:12 pm »

Sure I've seen a stick on version?
Lee
Martin S.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 15:38:48 pm »

The pulley won't matter if you change it. It is the flywheel that should be balanced with the crank. The pulley is balanced to zero on its own.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
leec

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 15:48:31 pm »

The pulley won't matter if you change it. It is the flywheel that should be balanced with the crank. The pulley is balanced to zero on its own.

Really? So why do balances insist on having it?
Lee
runningmonkey

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 16:05:51 pm »

Really? So why do balances insist on having it?
Lee

Was going to ask the same? Iv had a few engine balanced now and they always done the flywheel, crank, and pulley together as one unit?
Tufty65

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 16:14:45 pm »

My balancers never did my Ali pulley with my set ups, I expect the difference would be minimal.
Just use the cb performance crank trigger which bolts onto the front of the existing pulley with no mods.

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
runningmonkey

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 16:30:51 pm »

Cb performance sells a kit that requires no pulley mods. It just hangs of the end of the crank.

Thanks Chip, Now either am being really stupid (which isn't hard!! Shocked ) or IV got some duff info. I been emails CB as that who am buying the Turbo kit off, They ask me how I was going to do the crank trigger and I told them the engine was already built and balance and what did they recomend, they replied saying they didn't do anything and sent me a link to a company called the dubshop? They do one where you drill your exciting pulley wheel but my first thought over that would be that your crank pulley would be out of balance again if drilled incorrectly?

Iv now gone back onto CB website and found this -

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2093.htm

Which seem to be the solution to my problem, but am just confused over why CB said they didn't do one?  Probably me being very stupid!
Tufty65

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 16:54:23 pm »

The dubshop one is just the ringed tooth but I think you need your existing pulley machined for it to fit snug it's not just a case of screwing it on, they might even sell a complete pulley set up but then your changing pulleys doing that.
The cb one will work I've just ordered that same kit for mine it just bolts over the front of your pulley.

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
Martin S.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 21:12:06 pm »

I have the Electromotive version. Neat part is that it is hidden behind the pulley and nobody notices it. I even have the 009 body in place for the crank position sender (only needed for full seq.) which adds to the illusion of a stock look. Nice that it is out of the way of dropped wrenches, etc.
"Scat degreed pulley with 60-2 trigger wheel mounted to back"
https://electromotive.com/our-products/vw-type-1-crank-trigger-kit/

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Chip

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 00:07:51 am »

Personally I'm not a fan of CBs saw blade hanging off the end of the crank, but you said you didn't want to mess with the pulley, so thats what i offered. thedubshop.net builds my favorite type. They require machine work though. Totally stealth when done though.
Fiatdude

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 02:21:14 am »

AJ (LowBuget) has one using an MSD flying magnet sensor and you receive 2 rare earth magnets (very small -- approximately 1/8" dia and about 1/8" long) and you drill 2 holes in your pulley -- one at 45* and the other one on the exact opposite side -- to place the magnet in -- AJ dimpled his in place, I used epoxy as my pulley is very narrow..... -- -- You can also use a MSD dizzy instead of a crank trigger, it is a 2 wire setup...

You can see it mounted within the fan belt

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:24:14 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: