The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 23:08:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DCNF carbs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DCNF carbs  (Read 17230 times)
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 03:21:32 am »

On the downside, they are so BIG that they make working around them a little aggrivating. But which dual carbs on a Type 1 DON'T?

Yea, tell me about it. In the application above, I had cut doors in the inner fenders to service the carbs and to change plugs. They were a sung fit to say the least.

-jeffrey

67worshipper

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 19:16:04 pm »

i think dave kanase was running dcnfs on his 67 before the idas..

vw hot rod heaven
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 20:00:12 pm »

I just had a thought - didn't Claudes buggies manifold mount the DCNF's so the were 90deg to the crank  Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 06:23:03 am »

I just had a thought - didn't Claudes buggies manifold mount the DCNF's so the were 90deg to the crank  Huh

Don't think it would fit with a full bodied car... but on a buggy  Huh Huh

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 02:39:23 am »

Just found these on ebay  Smiley

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/claudes-buggies-carburetor-set_W0QQitemZ270197557069QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270197557069&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

You either "Get It" or you don't......
sam P

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 17:38:34 pm »

When I was running 42 DCNF's on my car, I did notice some hesitation under heavy cornering. You could smell the fuel from floading in sharp turns. Besides that they ran fine. But I never looked into the problem so maybe it was something that could be solved.
They're nice carbs but they look so small in a type one engine bay!

Zach, could you close the engine lid when you ran 'em on your type 3?

Here's a pic of my (messy) engine bay at the time:

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 03:13:04 am »

They werent DCNF's, they were a pair of Weber Progessives.

And yes, I could (still can!) close the engine lid. I used Berg manifolds and short aircleaner assemblies. IMO, they are the perfect carbs for a type 3- they are low profile, so your intake manifolds & air filters arent too short , the barrels are close together so the intake path has a straight shot to the head (unlike a Weber or Dellorto, check those out sometime! Shocked), you dont have to cut anything to get them to fit, and they are ugly little carbs, much like the type 3 engine itself! Cheesy Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Glauco

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2020, 10:20:55 am »

DCN's came first. I think the DCNF's were introduced in about '75. In a bug you have to trim the edge of the compartment to clear filters. I used Berg 42 Specials in my type 3 and I think they are the perfect carbs for pancake engines because of the short profile. Ive heard 40s have the wrong circutry, and 44's are just as good as 42's. For driveability and mileage, I dont think there are better carbs for a big motor.

could anyone tell me what's wrong with the cirutry of the 40's? I've read something about the progression holes being the wrong size? But could you get around that problem using a smaller idle jet? or to go even further to close the holes and dril new ones? I did a little research about the berg specials and most of the thing can be done to a 40 as well. I bought a set of 40's to replace my IDF's, just because I find them more period correct..
what needs to be done to get the best out of the 40s? its for a 1641, if that changes the game a bit..?

thank you,
glauco
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: