The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 19:02:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Oil Temp Sensor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Oil Temp Sensor  (Read 4384 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« on: November 06, 2017, 18:26:03 pm »

Where do you guys run your oil temp sensor when running a sump?

I was going to use the one that replaces the drain plug but Henry suggested that it may read low because of the location and also the sensor and wire might be damaged because it's so low.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 18:29:15 pm by Rick Meredith » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Martin S.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 18:34:36 pm »

I use the one that replaces the oil plunger plug. The side benefit is that you get a nice real hex head to unbolt with a wrench rather than the funky slot deal.
Don't worry about a strategy for the location and optimum temp reading, blah, blah. All you need to be doing is reading the temp of the case.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 22:16:44 pm »

I use the one that replaces the oil plunger plug. The side benefit is that you get a nice real hex head to unbolt with a wrench rather than the funky slot deal.
Don't worry about a strategy for the location and optimum temp reading, blah, blah. All you need to be doing is reading the temp of the case.

Thanks, Martin... I think that's the way I'm going

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:57:52 am »

I use the one that replaces the oil plunger plug.
I use the same one. 
I have a long probe thermometer I can stick down the dip stick.  It has been calibrated at 100ºC.  It reads exactly the same as the gauge on the dash.
I like this location because you install it, then forget it for the life of the engine.
Pedalpusher

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:32 am »

Could you guys post a link for that oil plunger location sensor?

Thanks
-Mikko-
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 10:29:44 am »

* apologies for the wrong link.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 18:36:57 pm by Diederick/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pedalpusher

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 11:06:10 am »

Thanks Diederick!

-Mikko-
Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 16:10:40 pm »

That is not the one. The sender for the oil relief gallery is flat so the spring can sit on it. There is no protruding sender. The one pictured above is for the drain plate.
Here is the correct one:

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VDO%2D323%2D064

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Joel Mohr

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 17:34:51 pm »

The plunger plug won't see "current" temp...it doesn't really touch the oil...I put them in the sump...

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
Martin S.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 18:12:38 pm »

Don't worry too much about the oil temp.
What you need is the case temp, which equates to the bearing temp.
Overheating the case is hard on bearings, as well as pulled studs, etc.

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 08:11:17 am »

The plunger plug won't see "current" temp...it doesn't really touch the oil...I put them in the sump...
The thermal conductivity of Mag is fast enough.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 00:47:49 am »

Where do you guys run your oil temp sensor when running a sump?

I was going to use the one that replaces the drain plug but Henry suggested that it may read low because of the location and also the sensor and wire might be damaged because it's so low.

Rick I run the oil temp sender in a VDO tee, that allows you to run it, and a pressure switch (or sender, for an instrument) at the stock oil pressure switch port.
I've checked my VDO instrument, wired to this sender, against a thermometer you'd use for a roast chicken (down the dipstick). They match.

I think for lack of issues (with wire, terminal) I wouldn't do the drain plug. The way my life goes, any time I'd want to drain the oil, I'd be re-stripping the wire and fixing the terminal. I don't want to add that work to an oil change.
I like the sender that replaces the bypass plug too.

I would consider watching your oil temp as a good thing. My oil temp gauge saved my ass many years ago.

Jim
Iryanu

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 19:22:58 pm »

I used to run a drain plug in a cb recessed plate and sender at an angle on my deep sump, even with the rear at pretty much stock height with 205/70 tyres it would always find a way to destroy the wire despite being miles away from the road  Huh. I looked at the t-pieces that come off the stock location but with my big pressure sender / pressure switch combo I didn't want all that weight hanging off the case, I've heard of people cracking their crank cases with such a set-up. Would probably go for a dipstick sender now or something in the oil filter head (although I don't think the temp would be right on the filter adaptor). The sump sensor did all add up on the gauge with a digital jam thermometer down the dipstick hole mind. Car never ran hot however, even in the infamous "summer bug jam" with others conking out and pushing cars down airfield road.  Cool

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: