The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 13:36:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Upgrading spring plates (swing axle)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Upgrading spring plates (swing axle)  (Read 3639 times)
runningmonkey

« on: November 13, 2017, 17:34:09 pm »

So iv just removed my gearbox in the drag bug and Iv notices that the spring plates are ever so slightly twisted. Its not by much, but you can tell by just looking at the spring plate,

I am thinking of replacing the pair for an upgraded set but I can't seem to find any standard upgraded ones there either all lowered or adjustable, can some one point me in the right direction of who sell them in the UK?

Cheers in advance
Garrick Clark

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 17:59:30 pm »

Not sure were you'd get them from. I have a pair on mine, came with the car.  Proper heavy duty .Well worth buying. I'd be asking on the samba as I think you'd have to get them from the US.

Air cooled Engine builder
baz

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 19:02:14 pm »

I've sway away plates on mine , they seem much stronger than the stock ones.

Keep an eye on the classifieds on the US site , I got mine from there nos at a good price.

You've an oval ?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2011904
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 20:25:37 pm by baz » Logged

I will prevail.
runningmonkey

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:44 am »

Yeah oval, full weight

My new engine going to be around 300 BHP, most of my rear suspension has been upgraded but still running stock spring plates. It doesn't seem to a upgrade that folks do over here in the UK do, but seems common practice in the states??

Are they worth upgrading? get confused now  Huh  Huh  Huh
numbnuts

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 13:28:43 pm »

I just replaced mine with the sway away version from CB as mine were twisted.

they look very good quality, no one was selling these in the UK so had to get them shipped over

2854cc 1956 cal looker coming to this space shortly
Dalland

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 14:11:30 pm »

Can't understand why you should change out the spring plate because it is twisted, it is what it is designed to do...
runningmonkey

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 14:17:05 pm »

Can't understand why you should change out the spring plate because it is twisted, it is what it is designed to do...

yes true, but they also look in very poor health so I thought maybe worth upgrading. I thought lots of companies would make up-rated ones and it would be an easy upgrade.
Dalland

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 14:24:50 pm »

yes true, but they also look in very poor health so I thought maybe worth upgrading. I thought lots of companies would make up-rated ones and it would be an easy upgrade.

I can't tell you what is needed for 300+ hp, but keep in mind that many aftermarket spring plates are not "spring steel" as the oem are. And to increase the thickness doesn't make it much stronger for the kind of force it has to handle because of the direction of the force.
I believe you will be well suited with a nice set of oem spring plates and good pom(delrin) og urethan bushings.
runningmonkey

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 18:23:20 pm »

I can't tell you what is needed for 300+ hp, but keep in mind that many aftermarket spring plates are not "spring steel" as the oem are. And to increase the thickness doesn't make it much stronger for the kind of force it has to handle because of the direction of the force.
I believe you will be well suited with a nice set of oem spring plates and good pom(delrin) og urethan bushings.

The ones that CB performance make state there made from spring steel, so designed to twist but are stronger.

Racing spring plates are manufactured from spring steel, full heat treated and cadmium plated. The spring plates are .250" thick (twice as that of stock units) and are a must for off-road racing. You can convert yours to the short 21 3/4" length torsion bars for tire clearance. The hubs are broached an extra .500" to compliment the extra length of the racing torsion bar serrations. They will also fit standard torsion bars. Racing spring plates are available to fit both swing axle and IRS rear suspensions.

Tho I think you maybe right, if I can't find any suitable replacement sets I may just get some oem ones.
baz

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 20:16:52 pm »

According to the sway away website theirs are thick spring steel.

I will prevail.
brewsy

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 12:38:31 pm »

So iv just removed my gearbox in the drag bug and Iv notices that the spring plates are ever so slightly twisted. Its not by much, but you can tell by just looking at the spring plate,

Cheers in advance

RM,
I'm sure you know this but the spring plates have to twist, by design, to do their job on a swing axle Beetle.
As they are bolted solidly to the axle and the torsion bar (rubber bushing ignored) and the axle prescribes an arc when it moves then if they dont 'twist' the suspension will bind up.
I have no clue what a thicker plate will do wrt suspension rates but it will affect them to some degree as it will try to resist the twist more.

Cheers
Marc
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: