The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:49:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350617 Posts in 28558 Topics by 6810 Members
Latest Member: Raffi
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  race equipment and specs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: race equipment and specs  (Read 1138 times)
nicolas

« on: September 14, 2022, 06:31:09 am »

I am after multiple years of stagnation and just plain nothing getting a bit of my act together and trying to take the car out

my question now is what class do I run in if I go to an event ( So I am looking a Outlaw class, sportsman vw, pro vw and sportsman ET) is this correct.

I am digging through the regulations, but I am an old fart, and can't fully make sense out of it all yet.

mainly looking at the guide to put my car in compliance with the regulations for events all over Europe.

and secondly if I buy suits, pants, a helmet,... what do I look at and do I have to look at more Amercian brands (Simpson, bell,... ) or are European (aria,... ) also good?

I am looking into all of this, it seems to be a long way still to get the car out even, but seems like I have a spark to tackle this, maybe jump on it and make it a bit of a fire  Grin Smiley Roll Eyes
PPRMicke

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 15:06:26 pm »

All rules are based on how fast you drive your car on the track
When it comes to protection details
FIA or SFI which are approved (
Once again, it is ET who decides what needs to be used
You can use FIA protective clothing or safety harnesses But SFI is cheaper than FIA
A Ps keep in mind that the helmet must be intended for car racing (Snell approved)
Links to the FIA If you can manage to translate, the Swedish regulations that you have as the FIA stand today Links to that
I have a counter question. How fast is your car, so maybe I can help you what kind of safety features you should have. I would think you can buy much cheaper in Sweden than in the EU
(Cars 12.00 seconds or slower:
Full-length pants, long-sleeved shirt; closed shoes and appropriate gloves required 
SEAT BELTS
All cars not required by Class Requirements to use FIA Standard 8853/98, 8853-2016, or SFI 16.1 or 16.5 driver restraint system must be
equipped with an accepted quick-release type driver seat belt. Belts must be securely fastened to the frame, cross member, or reinforced
mounting so that all fittings are in a direct line with the direction of pull. Seat belts may not be wrapped around lower frame rails. If used for
installation, flat steel plates must be a minimum of 6mm thickness and have rounded edges to prevent cutting seat belts. Under no
circumstances can belts be installed with bolts through webbing. In all cars with fiberglass floors, a cross member of minimum 51x51x2mm
(2"x2"x0.083") wall thickness square tubing must be installed between frame rails for proper driver seat belt installation. All cars in competition
requiring a roll bar or when a roll cage has been installed or as outlined by Class Requirements, require a restraint system according to Chapter
10.5 in this section.
HELMET
As outlined under Class Requirements, a driver in any class must wear a helmet meeting FIA standards, Snell or SFI Specifications.
Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended in cars running 14.00 seconds or slower.
 » Drivers in cars utilizing a roll-bar or roll-cage must wear a helmet.
 » Drivers in cars 13.99 to 10.00 seconds must wear an open-face or full-face helmet.
 » Drivers in cars 9.99 seconds or quicker, or drivers in open-bodied cars running 13.99 seconds or quicker must wear a full-face helmet with
 visor (goggles prohibited).
See FIA Technical List N˚25 (www.fia.com/regulation/category/761) for recognised and permitted Helmet Standards, Labels and expiry dates.
Additionally, the use of Helmets meeting Snell SA2020 Standard or SFI Spec 31.1/2010, 31.1/2015, 31.1/2020 is also permitted.
A helmet meeting FIA Standard 8860-2010 or 8860-2018 is strongly recommended on any open bodied car running 6.00 seconds or quicker.
A visor (if required) must be fully closed from the moment the car enters “full stage” until the run has been completed.
All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet.
See individual Class Requirements for additional requirements.
It is recommended that all competitors have their helmets correctly fitted, according to their body weight and size (in accordance with the
manufacturer’s specifications). Structural modifications to helmet, shield or visor are prohibited.
Cutting of helmet or helmet visor prohibited. Helmet must remain as manufactured, except for paint scheme/graphics and permitted nonstructural driver modifications to helmet visor as set forth below.
Taping or similar modifications to the helmet visor made by the driver that reduce the driver’s field of vision, and are deemed safe by driver in
the driver’s judgment, is allowed at this time so long as the driver can demonstrate to technical inspectors that the purpose of the modification is
to reduce distraction in the driver’s field of vision. By using such a modification to the helmet visor, the driver acknowledges and agrees that the
driver deems such modification safe in the driver’s judgment consistent with the driver’s obligations.

LINK FIA https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2022_final_technical_regulations_general_marked_up_-_en.pdf
Link SBF  https://www.sbf.se/globalassets/svenska-bilsportforbundet/regler/dragracing/2019/publicerat/dr_tekniskaregler-2019faststalld.pdf
/// Micke
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 14:52:04 pm »

thanks!

I was looking at the FIA rules today and they have a specific chapter for drag racing. I am looking at those together with what you are writing.

I think I need to make a list for myself with what I need and where I can buy it. my jacket is good I have contacted Simpson, so now I need to get the rest of my gear.

I will be running slower than 12 seconds... sad but very very true. baby steps. fastest the car has ever gone with me is 13.50. and chances are it will be slower now. next year is the first step to set up the car and learn.

again thanks

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: