The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:19:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350617 Posts in 28558 Topics by 6810 Members
Latest Member: Raffi
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  356 Rear Brakes Issue on My Type 1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 356 Rear Brakes Issue on My Type 1  (Read 1373 times)
GrigioTR

« on: September 20, 2022, 22:56:02 pm »

I have 356B rear brakes installed on a 60's era swing axle transmission. Both sides were leaking transmission oil.  I have the left side totally dismantled and found a mess.  There are extra metal shims and there is a spacer installed outboard of the bearing seal cap.  It is a one side beveled piece just like the interior spacer only thinner.  No idea why it is there because it appears as if the drums are not fully snugged to the backing plate.  There is a thin strip of brake pad that has zero wear.  Both sides.

So here is what I want to do and am looking for some guidance.  Install new stock rear axle seal kits and do not install the thinner outer spacers.  Then torque the drums in place.  So, is there the correct taper with the 356B drums to fit without have metal to metal contact between the inner drum center and the bearing/seal cap?  I have looked for info on-line as well as publications I have, but I cannot find the specifics I am looking for.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  I do not want to screw up these brake parts!
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 07:41:27 am »

I have 356B rear brakes installed on a 60's era swing axle transmission. Both sides were leaking transmission oil.  I have the left side totally dismantled and found a mess.  There are extra metal shims and there is a spacer installed outboard of the bearing seal cap.  It is a one side beveled piece just like the interior spacer only thinner.  No idea why it is there because it appears as if the drums are not fully snugged to the backing plate.  There is a thin strip of brake pad that has zero wear.  Both sides.

So here is what I want to do and am looking for some guidance.  Install new stock rear axle seal kits and do not install the thinner outer spacers.  Then torque the drums in place.  So, is there the correct taper with the 356B drums to fit without have metal to metal contact between the inner drum center and the bearing/seal cap?  I have looked for info on-line as well as publications I have, but I cannot find the specifics I am looking for.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  I do not want to screw up these brake parts!

I would contact Speedwell (fabian) he has had them on his 61. and I think they are 356B's as well.
for what I know. the setup up to the drum is the same as a vw drum (axle, small chamfered spacer against it to seat the bearing against, bearing, small shim, small o ring, bigger spacer that is on the axle, inside chamfer over the o-ring (this os also where the seal of the housing runs on), bigger washer that is in the housing with the seal. than the drum and nut. )
GrigioTR

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 16:04:14 pm »

Nicolas,

Thank you for the reply and lead I will follow up on.

My reassembly plan is exactly as outlined in your list of parts and order of assembly.  I am trying to focus on whether the taper fit with the 356B drums will be exactly as if I was installing VW drum on the axle.  I sure do not want to start torquing down the nut only to find I have metal to metal contact and possible damage the parts.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: