The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:14:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  3 point seat belts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 3 point seat belts  (Read 3844 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« on: January 25, 2018, 09:40:24 am »

Hi guys,

I want to mount retractable 3 point seat belts some time soon. My ‘67 only has threaded holes in the tunnel and the high point in the B pillar. But for some reason I don’t have the lower bolt hole.
So I need to solve that. I can weld a motorsports bracket that is threaded to the B pillar for example. Then I could bolt the first and the last part of the belt to that location or mount the end of the belt to a fourth location in the rocker panel and basically make it 4 point. The routing of the belt would be low B pillar - high B pillar - tunnel - low B pillar or rocker.

I’m looking for best practices. So please show how you’ve done this and pictures would be of great help Smiley

Thanks!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Martin S.

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 16:26:29 pm »

If you are talking about the 3 point seatbelts like this:

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C45%2DRBT%2D3PTEU%2DBLK

CIP sells the brackets for the floor near the B pillar.
The winder mechanism is the part that mounts there and has to be mounted vertically for it to operate smoothly.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 16:33:11 pm »

A belt like that one, yes.

Do you mean this bracket?

That bracket bolts to the threaded hole that I don’t have. Also I never understood these brackets.
Why can't you bolt the mechanism against the B pillar like with modern cars?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 18:38:06 pm by Diederick/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Martin S.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 17:22:27 pm »

I know you are missing the threaded bung in the body, so you have to weld one in, easy.
The bracket they show is simply a way of positioning the retractor in the correct position.
Sometimes that bracket needs to be bent, or maybe add a slit and then bend it, to get the retractor vertical.
Some seatbelts that part is part of the retractor (like stock late Beetle) but it looks like the ones cip sells need it added on.

You can mount it another way probably. In the ad they say, for easiest installation, and not necessarily the only way to do it.
I've put them in 3 or 4 cars and they mount and work just like stock late Beetle seatbelts.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 17:42:52 pm by Martin S. » Logged

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:54:18 am »

I took a look and now I can see why that bracket is needed. See pic.

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 16:02:16 pm »

Thanks Martin!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:52:18 am »

hey, i welded the treaded insert in the chassis. i used a big roundel to strengthen it. it needs to be sturdy.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 14:30:05 pm »

The threaded insert for ‘64 and earlier beetles?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 20:57:22 pm »

The threaded insert for ‘64 and earlier beetles?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

yes, but i made my own at the time.
RichardinNZ

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 23:47:11 pm »

No factory fittings in my '58.  The requirements for modifications are pretty strict here.  For the outer lower mount I went down through the floorplan  and in line with our regulations had to  create a sandwich with the floorplan between two flat plates (with a nut welded on the outside of the bottom plate).   

There are standards regarding the plate size etc and the rivets used etc.   The overall benefit is that it is now like having factory mounts and easy to remove and mount the belts plus it is reassuring that they should hold ok.

Technical info here (we are allowed some movement on these when dealing with a classic car rather than a scratch built).

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seats_%26_Seat_Anchorages.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjIkI663fvYAhUEGZQKHRYuBqAQFjACegQIERAB&usg=AOvVaw27_h8N7-p7rSKHCj3KK0fh

Hope this helps.
Richard

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: