The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:21:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  High performance engine with 6volt??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: High performance engine with 6volt??  (Read 7984 times)
Stephen schmidt

« on: February 20, 2018, 19:59:28 pm »

Has anyone built a performance engine and kept it all 6 volt? Yes, I know, just go 12v, but for originallity sake, I like the idea of a high-po 6v stroker motor with IDA's or something of the like.

Ignition is simple - Bosch 009 with a Bosch blue 6v coil and pertronix electric ignition.  If the compression is relatively low, the 6v starter should be able to handling cranking over a larger displacement engine with a healthy battery.

I'd love to hear if anyone has done it successfully!
RichardinNZ

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:15:54 am »

John Plow did...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2131570

I tried a 6volt Hot Spark pertronix copy on my hi-po 36hp and it didn't work with the less than 6 volts that was at the coil when cranking over to start.  I therefore went back to points. I'm assuming this could be even more of a problem when cranking a higher compression stroker.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
glenn

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 13:16:57 pm »

All the electronic points replacements have problems on 6v systems when there's any voltage drop.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 19:39:35 pm »

Just use a mag and leave the car 6V

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
RichardinNZ

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 21:14:58 pm »

Hi Bill
It'd look good on my 36hp!  Finally sorted some gremlins and have it running nice....

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
K-Roc

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:12:20 am »

Just use a mag and leave the car 6V

Yup.

Hey Bill would you mind popping over to Don Zigs and find out whats taking so long for him to rebuild my Mag?   Smiley

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:20:45 am »

Hi Bill
It'd look good on my 36hp!  Finally sorted some gremlins and have it running nice....

I ran my Okrasa motor with a Vertex. Looked cool and worked a treat.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 17:43:37 pm »

Has anyone built a performance engine and kept it all 6 volt? Yes, I know, just go 12v, but for originallity sake, I like the idea of a high-po 6v stroker motor with IDA's or something of the like.

Ignition is simple - Bosch 009 with a Bosch blue 6v coil and pertronix electric ignition.  If the compression is relatively low, the 6v starter should be able to handling cranking over a larger displacement engine with a healthy battery.

I'd love to hear if anyone has done it successfully!

Most high performance natural-aspiration street engines don't need all the ignition we throw at them. A four cylinder engine at high revs isn't killing coil saturation time like it would in a V8. Even a 9:1 motor, with properly gapped plugs and good (not necessarily new) ignition components will run. Yes, add in 48's with 70 idle jets and maladjusted floats and valve lash at zero and you might run into tuning issues. My friend daily drove an 88 x 74 with Web Cam, 1.4's, 48's that we took time setting up, 010 with points and some old 6V Porsche coil. I don't remember it ever stranding him or it running poorly. Yes you have to chase dwell and point gap....
If you're looking for the ultimate in good manners and driveability, easy starting, etc, then a higher output ignition box/coil may reveal some advantage.
RichardinNZ

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 00:43:20 am »

Jim...I guess that would mean the Winterburn ignition box discussed elsewhere on here (although I'd be keen to know about any other CDI ignition) if anyone knows of one?

Keith...was that on your green Split Bug?  I never saw it but remember the feature...

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 01:11:56 am »

Jim...I guess that would mean the Winterburn ignition box discussed elsewhere on here (although I'd be keen to know about any other CDI ignition) if anyone knows of one?

Keith...was that on your green Split Bug?  I never saw it but remember the feature...

I was meaning make the car 12V and build an ignition system suited to what your goals are. I'm not familiar with the system you're mentioning, sorry.
A friend of mine has a 356 Carrera, with 2 CD units. I am pretty sure his car is 12V though.
Originally, CD ignitions were installed in cars that were having issues fouling plugs, as they lived a sorry existence in the USA, when they were originally designed to run high rpm, high speed on autostrada, etc. Namely the 911, the Miura S, the Fiat Dino and others. The cars were tuned to not hole pistons at continuous high speed, high load runs, so many of them ran rich @ upper range (911S carbs, Miura carbs had extra enrichment circuits to help foil lean conditions at high rpm). The cam timing and tune of these engines didn't mix well with US driving habits and restrictions. The CD ignition helped to keep plugs clean.
Cars like MB W108 etc, started using transistorized ignitions in an effort to decrease contact point burning.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: