The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 17:43:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  It's official - no more Shakey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: It's official - no more Shakey  (Read 1494 times)
Neil Davies

« on: May 12, 2018, 19:34:26 pm »

As the title says, Shakespeare County Raceway is officially no more.

https://www.shakespearecountyraceway.co.uk

Jerry Cookson has posted this in a few places:
"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
It is with regret that I now have to inform the UK drag racing community that after 44 years as an operational drag strip there will be no more racing activities taking place at Long Marston Airfield's Shakespeare County Raceway. The owners of Long Marston Airfield along with the raceway's track marshals/officials/staff would like to thank everyone who over the years has supported the track since its very first national drag meet in 1973. Furthermore we would like to wish all the racers and fans every success for the future.
If anyone (racers, crews and supporters) still have caravans or trailers stored on site can we respectively ask that these be removed from the airfield's caravan storage compound by the end of the May. Removal of caravan's can be made during any week day between the hours of 9.00 am and 6.00 pm or Saturday's between 9.00 am to 1.00pm. The airfield is closed on Sunday's. Prior arrangement and pick up details must be made before hand by calling Kenny on 07595 412482 or myself on 07595 411079.

It's been a pleasure knowing everyone in my twelve or so years looking after the raceway's interests, calling the races over the pa and organising some great events. See you somewhere at a strip of tarmac real soon."

I loved Shakey. I first went there for Beetle Bash in 1995 when I was 17. I raced there in my Ghia in 1999 and in my drag Beetle until 2005. It was the track that Outlaw Flat Four had our first event at. It was the reason my wife bought her T4 and then her type 25. It was the track I finally got to race at again last year with the Beetle I first took there all the way back in 1995. I think it was the last aircooled VW ever to race there.

Most of all, it was safe for him:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: