The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:54:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  CB Performance turnkey motors...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CB Performance turnkey motors...  (Read 2863 times)
JLaw

« on: June 22, 2018, 09:38:22 am »

Hi,

I'm looking into turnkey motors that are available. Does anyone have any feedback good or bad regarding the CB offerings? I'm assuming they will deliver to the UK. Are there any recommendations in Europe?

I hear so many horror stories regarding aircooled vw engine builders and parts suppliers I would like to at least have a few recommendations before I commit.

Cheers, John.
StewRat

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 13:01:03 pm »

Where are you based John?

Horror stories notwithstanding I think you could probably get some good recommendations for builders here.

Or - build it yourself? It's not fast (first time round certainly) and it's maybe not much cheaper, but it gives you insight into your engine you don't get with a turnkey.

Stewart

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
leec

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 14:16:35 pm »

How attractive is a US build nowadays? Not knocking any US builders but the exchange rate isn't what it use to be.
From a personal point of view Matt Keene built my engine in the oval and its been fantastic.
Lee
baz

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 15:38:41 pm »

What would you do if there was a problem, send it back to states?

Alan at gac is a good choice in uk. The list of who not to use is considerably longer  Wink

I will prevail.
Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 16:11:18 pm »

I have not bought one myself, but Johns Bug Shop here in Canada has used them for their customers with great results. John Spirinelli told me that they were very helpful with tuning their efi turbo motors on the telephone, and their support was at a high level.
John is a friendly guy and will give you direct first hand recommendations if you call him. John's Bug Shop 1-905-735-2847 in Welland, Ontario, Canada (check your time zones before calling).

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:37:02 am »

Richie Webb. Fast and reliable with no dramas

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
leec

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 07:34:19 am »

Richie Webb. Fast and reliable with no dramas

Yep. That 2276 in your white car was a lovely motor.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: