The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 17:50:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  091 6 rib gearbox question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 091 6 rib gearbox question  (Read 2671 times)
lakis1982

« on: May 18, 2018, 10:40:44 am »

Hello,

i have a 091 gearbox code DK that i plan to fit on my karmann ghia using the nose conversion kit from Weddle industries. Those 091 gearboxes as far as i know are considered to be very tough and durable. My ghia uses an oxyboxer turbo EFI engine of around 280PS and 320Nm (street use only).

The DK gearbox has a 4.57 ring-pinion , 1st 3.78, 2nd 2.06, 3rd 1.26, 4th 0.82

My question: If we suppose that the gear ratios are suitable, could you tell me how much abuse those gearboxes can handle ?? Could i use it as is in stock form without major problems Huh

Thank you in advance
PPRMicke

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 13:27:47 pm »

Hello,

i have a 091 gearbox code DK that i plan to fit on my karmann ghia using the nose conversion kit from Weddle industries. Those 091 gearboxes as far as i know are considered to be very tough and durable. My ghia uses an oxyboxer turbo EFI engine of around 280PS and 320Nm (street use only).

The DK gearbox has a 4.57 ring-pinion , 1st 3.78, 2nd 2.06, 3rd 1.26, 4th 0.82

My question: If we suppose that the gear ratios are suitable, could you tell me how much abuse those gearboxes can handle ?? Could i use it as is in stock form without major problems Huh

Thank you in advance
+ 450 Ps
/// Micke
richie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 18:43:35 pm »

In stock form it wont fit into car , with the conversion housing you use type 1 gears with modified type2/091 ring & pinion and its very strong then

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Big Al

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:35:02 am »

I have one in my subaru bug. It was built by bears with uprated chromo 1st and 2nd but rest is stock.  Built for 300bhpand I'm planning a 33o bhp remap soon as can. My weak point is the keyed stock 3rd and 4th but can't afford to replace all the main shafts and gears for weddle splined atm as comes in at about £2800!! So just going to see how get on as is but hoping will stay together for a while.
Running stock gearsets your weak point will be the keyed 1st but so long as not doing wheel stands think should be ok.....I'm relaying advice I was given here.

Your gearing will be very low though. Ive just had mine out and replacing the 3rd and 4th for slightly longer ratios but keeping as CR as poss so it's a compromise.

If you want longer ratio stronger gears though I have an 091 for sale. You would need to replace the first motion shaft assuming your not running a scoob motor and swap your nose and bellhousing over.

I just bought this as a panic purchase yesterday thinking I could use parts to fix my own similar gearbox. Unfortunately after speaking to Bears this moring neither the nose or internals are compatible with my own as I have additional uprated Scat parts so back available for sale.

It's a Bears Motorsport rebuilt 091 box with new 1st and 2nd gears and longer 3rd and 4th suitable for a subaru. Never used on the road so as 'new'.
Also has a Rjes Bellhouse, clutch arms and slave bracket & Subaru spline first motion shaft meaning you can run a bigger stock subaru clutch as standard.

I believe it has a bus nose so will bolt right into a bus or you can get adaptors to fit in a bug.

Basicslly if your going subaru in your bus this is practically a bolt in setup ready to go, or adapt to a bug with linkage adaptor and T4 to T1 gearbox mounts (think these are about 80 quid, I have 2 out or 3 parts I can throw in somewhere you will just need a top strap which I used on mine).

A good 091 will set you back £700 quid, Internal parts were £1250, rjes bits £750 and built at Bears a highly recommended box builder.

Looking for a quick sale Or SWAP for professional paint job on my bug.

delete speaker deck account
Big Al

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:38:06 am »

In fact I think have a spare 091 first motion shaft if needed one and maybe ever a spare 091 bellhouse.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: