The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:57:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Best Weber Carb book?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best Weber Carb book?  (Read 3113 times)
StewRat

« on: June 01, 2018, 14:04:08 pm »

There's one go-to book for DellOrtos but Amazon suggests at least 3 covering IDAs - by Haynes, Brooklands and HPBooks (Braden)
Any suggestions as to which is best to go for as reference?

Thanks

Stewart

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
Bryan67

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 20:52:00 pm »

CB Performance sells a good one

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 23:20:30 pm »

When it comes to a Volkswagen on 48 IDA's, none of the books you've mentioned really apply.
StewRat

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 15:28:05 pm »

aha - ok

I've just ordered the Bob Tomlinson book which I think is the one Bryan67 referred to - and he wrote the Dellorto book I have relied on for the DRLAs.
Thanks for the steers.

next newbie question will be posted in separate thread ....

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
StewRat

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 12:58:02 pm »

Apologies for the vent - one time only, honestly.

As someone who published about 10 special interest books (circus skills if you must know) I'm appalled by the production values in both the Dellorto and Weber books.

Firstly, a vast amount of each book is of no interest to anyone owning 1 model of carburettor as they cover so many different models.

But even if that makes sense (rather than producing smaller carb-specific books) so much of the content is cut n pasted from elsewhere with no respect for styles, there is no consistency or flow to the content, and no consideration given to the reader.

One example is the Weber book where what must be one of the most bookmarked pages - the numbered and exploded parts diagram - has the reference key on the back of the page!
I've only had the book a few days and that page is about worn out with all the flicking to and fro.

Thank you for listening.

</RANT MODE>

Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 22:12:26 pm »

There's a huge need for a real-world, VW-specific Weber book. Written by someone that knows not only how VW's and carbs work, but also the layperson's psyche. The actual reading of the book shouldn't be more work than the work on the carburetors themselves.
There's a Cobra guy somewhere online, that has done a fantastic job (light years ahead of any of the books mentioned above, and anything I've read, really) on the working of the 48IDA Weber (only). But there's a problem here too (and it's not that it's geared to Ford/Cobra guys). It's been left undone, for a few years now.
Anyway, the guy is thorough, without you putting you into a coma, reading it. Lots of good, clever points he makes. If you follow his principles, but apply your engine's needs and reactions, you can get something out of it. If you're using the 48IDA.

Good luck.

Jim

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 07:52:29 am »

This chap, Jim?

http://www.timsroadster.com/html/tuning_webers.html

Glauco

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 19:07:03 pm »

I have the weber tech manual from Bob tomlinson, it's specific for vw (and porsche), helped me a lot!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

glauco
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: