The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:27:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Will a reverse lockout shifter help with ....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Will a reverse lockout shifter help with ....  (Read 2651 times)
StewRat

« on: June 18, 2018, 09:22:54 am »

Went racing yesterday, only second time out and was overall pleased with how the car did. Going in the right direction at least Smiley

2 main problems to solve, one of which is:

I ruined one of the limited runs by missing second. That's not unusual in practice.

The shifter is sitting on a new plate, spring and a quick shift kit.
I replaced all the serviceable parts between shifter and gearbox.
The gearbox is stock and although no obvious problems, has not been checked out in detail.
2-3-4 work great, and reverse if I want to get it. And I need to press down against the spring to get reverse.

What seems to be happening is that unless I get it just right, I'm graunching into reverse gear while trying to get to second.
Maybe I need to refettle the shifter plate again, but that has often felt like robbing peter to pay paul.

Do (all) the better shifters with reverse lockout isolate reverse more fully? I've held off buying one because it felt like overkill, but if it effectively blocked off any accidental contact with reverse it would be worth having.

Thanks

Stewart

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
leec

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:56:43 am »

Try setting the shifter location with it in second gear. Tighten it down and see if you can get the other gears. If not do again but move the shifter location again slightly. It is trial and error. Are you sure the box is 100%?

Lee
richie

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:20:45 am »

Yes

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
StewRat

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 11:37:44 am »

Try setting the shifter location with it in second gear. Tighten it down and see if you can get the other gears. If not do again but move the shifter location again slightly. It is trial and error. Are you sure the box is 100%?

Lee

Good call. I'll do that.

I can't be sure the box is 100% but I do know if I nail the 1-2 shift it works fine.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
StewRat

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 16:39:41 pm »

Yes

Thanks Grin

Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 16:44:24 pm »

Lee

The box is an unknown quantity - it came on a '72 pan that I bought many years ago. The drums had been changed for Porsche pattern ones but other than that I think it was as built.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
StewRat

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 17:06:00 pm »

Lee

The box is an unknown quantity - it came on a '72 pan that I bought many years ago. The drums had been changed for Porsche pattern ones but other than that I think it was as built.

Thanks Neil - it doesnt feel like I'm close to shredding the box. If I can get consistent 1-2 shifts then I can stress it some more Smiley

Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 17:19:30 pm »

Lee

Thanks Neil - it doesnt feel like I'm close to shredding the box. If I can get consistent 1-2 shifts then I can stress it some more Smiley

Pick bits up as and when, the superdiff that I put in the box in my car for last October I've owned for about 9 years, and the sideplate for nearly 20! I used a stock shifter on a quickshift plate in  Headstraight, and I could shift pretty quickly with that! A good quality shifter is nice to use though.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: