The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 18:09:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Kids these days...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Kids these days...  (Read 3177 times)
andrewlandon67

« on: June 29, 2018, 06:09:13 am »

I just got off the phone with my little brother and I figured y'all would like what he had to say. Since I'm living a good hour and a half away from where my bug is these days, I don't get to drive it much so I asked my brother, who lives much closer, to take it out and get it up to temp earlier today, and I think he did the Lounge proud. He said he was just planning on a beer run, but he decided instead to go pick up his girlfriend, and on the way back, they had some good old-fashioned Cal Look fun. Pulling away from the light to get out in front of some traffic, he noticed some kind of newer Honda keeping up, and as he heard their turbo spool, he nailed it and flew away. The next light, he was sure they wanted to go for it and launched the car, shifting at 7K in first and 6K in second to calm it down a bit, and only when he'd hit the brakes in third did the Honda fly by. Just thought I'd share that both my brother and my car are more than happy keeping the hotrod VW's legacy alive!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:13:08 am by andrewlandon67 » Logged

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 06:29:19 am »

i don't know how old your brother is, but i have seen younger kids (i am an older kid  Grin ) getting intrested in beetles. they have a different approach to it, the cars  have always been classics for them and an air-cooled engine is of a different breed to what they know. but none the less i find it both intresting and good to see them picking up on our hobby.
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:39:35 am »

I've been teaching in secondary schools for 16 years now, and a few years ago I bought a cheap Mexican 1200 with a dropped valve for some kids at school to take apart and see what's inside an engine. Went to pick up the motor and it turned out that the chap selling it was one of my students from my first couple of years teaching - don't know if it was any influence from me but he did say that he remembered the poster of my old race car on the wall of my classroom!

Mind you, I couldn't have done that good a job as his absolutely stunning ,recently completed, nut and bolt resto '75 Beetle is a German Looker...  Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 07:40:18 am »

I've been teaching in secondary schools for 16 years now, and a few years ago I bought a cheap Mexican 1200 with a dropped valve for some kids at school to take apart and see what's inside an engine. Went to pick up the motor and it turned out that the chap selling it was one of my students from my first couple of years teaching - don't know if it was any influence from me but he did say that he remembered the poster of my old race car on the wall of my classroom!

Mind you, I couldn't have done that good a job as his absolutely stunning ,recently completed, nut and bolt resto '75 Beetle is a German Looker...  Wink

Haha!  Grin

I have a couple of friends with Beetles, but they are not in the "VW-scene". Not on the forums or Faceballs etc. Whenever they ask me if they should buy a thing, exhaust, wheels etc, I clearly steer them in a Cal Look direction  Roll Eyes

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 10:23:38 am »

I clearly steer them in a Cal Look direction  Roll Eyes

and there is absolutely no shame in doing that  Grin
andrewlandon67

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 02:09:00 am »

So the starter has been acting up in my bug for about the past week, and I decided to stop by my local generic parts store to ask about a new one, hoping that they'd have one in stock. Now, the guy behind the counter looked to be about my age, somewhere in the mid to upper 20s, and when I had to re clarify that my car was a '67 VW Bug, he had the gall, the NERVE, to exclaim "That's the only thing wrong with it?" Now, I try not to be a petty man, but excuse me?! I'd be willing to bet that my car would outrun his clapped-out looking "stanced" '90s Honda Prelude any day of the week, and look infinitely better doing it. "That's the only thing wrong with it?" Damn youths. Get off my lawn.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: