The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 16:25:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  Real 70's Cal looker 56 chop top suicide doors oval - ## gone ##
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Real 70's Cal looker 56 chop top suicide doors oval - ## gone ##  (Read 4101 times)
restojohnny

« on: April 13, 2017, 19:59:19 pm »

### NEW VIDEOS AND PICS STILL AVAILABLE ##I am selling this for a good friend and ofcourse he just happens to be one of the great VW legends "Flyin" Frankie Freeman......

1956 chop top oval window beetle. Frankies been messing with this since he bought it back in 1969...It's a one of a kind slant windowed chop top as you can see the craftsmanship put into the chop alone is insane. The slant is at the "B" pillars and the rear frame of the door and it's definitely a one of a kind chop. The windows are curved and aYES the windows roll up all the way. The chop top was done back in 1971 by the one and only Duke Gosney who recently passed away.

The body work and paint was done by another VW legend Ray Oyer in a 2 stage black and buffed to a mirror finish. Done back in the late 80's.

The upholstery was done by Rich spencer in 1991 in Gold velour using the old "Tuck & Roll" scheme. The rear seat is an original oval seat that was narrowed  and the front seats are To#¤ta Tercel seats. All the upholstery is matching and in great condition. The headliner, seats, front & rear quarter panels are all matching material and looks beautiful.

This 56 oval is definitely not a trailer queen and is a running and driving oval . The motor is a 1915 with Big CB heads, 14mm spark plugs etc....Runs awesome. I have the spec. sheet on the motor just ask me for it and I'll email it back to you.  

Has an adjustable stock length front end and give the oval a sweet cal look stance.

The brakes are early aluminum wide 5 original 356 Porsche brake drums and backing plates all around with no longer available "velvet touch" brake shoes. The wheels cylinders are new aswell.

Has 5 brand new brm style rims with brand new tires all the way around.

The gas tank is not original to the oval but is the earlier larger pre-55 style gas tank.

The dash is clean with VDO night design gauges that are also no longer made. The 3 spoke standard steering wheel was/is a New Old Stock one and is in original perfect condition. Has new old stock fluted german headlight lenses installed also.

This is NOT a perfect oval as it was and still is a daily driver. There are some flaws but what do you expect from an oval cal looker that's hasn't been changed one bit but driven and enjoyed by Frankie himself.

The worst flaw is the passenger side window opening as the window was rolled up too far and forced a crack in the body work as pictured.  

There are a few more little flaws that I can send pictures of if interested. You can re-do the flaws or the whole car or use and enjoy as is like my buddy Frankie has all these years.

If you are truly interested I will send very VERY detailed pictures of every inch of the oval and described to a tee.

If you would like to come down and see this beautiful oval cal looker in person just let me know and we can set up an appointment with Frankie himself.

We would like to start at $25K or "BEST OFFER"

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

picture of mirror finish paint job  Cool picture is of the passenger side quarter panel and partial door picture. Never repainted or buffed since sprayed back in the day.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Picture of the slanted chopped quarter window section and door  Cool
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:59:31 am by restojohnny » Logged

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
restojohnny

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 17:58:56 pm »

Cool

O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 euro squareback
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 18:29:44 pm »

Don't think you can call it a one of a kind chop. The angled B-pillar chop idea was shown off in Street Rodder magazine, and was done to try to get round the hard work required to do the chop properly with a vertical B-pillar. The door gap in the third photo looks 'interesting'. Do you have any decent side-on photos, or ones of the rear window area? Just interested as having owned four roof-chopped Bugs, always interested in seeing how people get round the problems involved with doing a perfect chop.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
restojohnny

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 20:03:08 pm »

I e seen the chop done on American cars but never a vw I'll post more pictures for you later today Cool
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 20:06:32 pm by restojohnny » Logged

O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 euro squareback
restojohnny

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 03:58:32 am »

More pic's as requested

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:00:59 am by restojohnny » Logged

O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 euro squareback
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:40:02 am »

Nice chop , nice roof line ! 90 % of most VW chop's the roof looks flat . Door gaps look fine , shadows make them appear to look off , But there Nice and parallel . Slanting a ( B ) pillars has been going on since the 50s to get the car leaning forward stance wise , great look !
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:42:28 am by danny gabbard » Logged

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
vwhelmot

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:12:41 pm »

Just a shame the B pillars are not straight. Slant chops aint my bag but nice ride.
folkevogn

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 07:26:13 am »

Just a shame the B pillars are not straight. Slant chops aint my bag but nice ride.

Maybe more like this Smiley

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
restojohnny

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 21:35:16 pm »

Still available   Cool

O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 euro squareback
restojohnny

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 01:33:59 am »

I have new pics and new video please let me know and I’ll email them.  Still for sale and still being driven daily

O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 euro squareback
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: