The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 17:12:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  1954 RHD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1954 RHD  (Read 8360 times)
Bathtub57

« on: July 29, 2018, 14:05:36 pm »

There is a bit of a thread already on my car here;

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,14841.0.html

I thought I'd start an in Da Werks thread though as I am finally getting a few jobs done and appreciate the feedback from other like minded souls.  A quick recap for anyone who doesn't feel up to reading the thread above; the car is an early UK one manufactured in May 1954.  It was restored in the late 1990's and the Cal Looked by Rob Tomlinson who sadly recently passed away.  I have owned the car for about 10 years now and not done an awful lot with it and it's time to put that right.

First off to come out of hiding, basic check over then start up.  Started ok but is running rich, brakes work but the pedal feels very solid, I replaced the front tyres last year and rears seem OK.  Drove to the gas station and filled up.  Then drove to my guys place for a proper check over.

The rear hub seals have gone and are leaking gearbox oil right into the rear drums.  Rear cylinders are leaking and master cylinder is on its way out.

I had originally thought I was running Type 3 rear drums but that is not the case, they are in fact early, post oval rears so 30mm shoes.  Master cylinder is a dual circuit one.  Front brakes are unusual, the callipers are from a Ducati or BMW motorbike.  However they are in good shape and will remain for now.  Otherwise everything in that department is being renewed.

The chassis needs a damn good detail.  That will be a job for the winter for me.  Happily there is no structural rust underneath but the surface rust needs attention.  The awful roll cage bolts need sorting too - either the cage needs to be removed or the pans need to be strengthened where they bolt through.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 14:37:08 pm by Bathtub57 » Logged
Bathtub57

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 14:29:12 pm »

I have some bits and pieces to fit.

For a change I am going with T bars instead of bumpers.  After a long search I have found some EMPI seats which I think will suit the feel of the car. 

Wheels wise I am undecided.  I love BRM's.  I tried a couple of times to pick up some originals but it didn't work out.  Mine are early repros and are starting to delaminate.  I have collected a few to choose from in either VW or Porsche patterns.  The EMPI's and Torque Thrusters are in original but worn condition, they may suit the look of the car, but then fuchs are classics.  The sprintstars would take the car back to how it was originally back in the late 90's.

Bathtub57

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 14:45:26 pm »

Jobs done;

Rear shocks replaced with KYB G shocks
Carbs (44idf) rebuilt due to leaking pump on one side so both done for reassurance.
Fuel lines replaced along with filter - there were two, one before the pump then another just before the engine, outside of the engine bay.  I've now gone with one.
Brakes and master cylinder done.

Jobs to do now
Fit seats
Replace bumpers with Tbars
Replace rear tyres with 205/70r15 period looking tyre - I like Blockley tyres
Be ready for VW Action at the end of August and get a few runs in.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 16:05:11 pm »

I had no idea about Rob Tomlinson. What a shame - he was a really nice guy. Can I ask what happened? Glad his car is in good hands.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
leec

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 17:42:05 pm »

The sprints would be a nice touch, especially as this is what Rob had on it
UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 18:50:16 pm »

I had no idea about Rob Tomlinson. What a shame - he was a really nice guy. Can I ask what happened? Glad his car is in good hands.

Heart attack

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 19:15:11 pm »

You've got pretty much every classic wheel there!
BRMs - love them usually (got them on mine!) but they just don't look quite right on this one.
Fuchs - again a classic wheel but a bit overdone at the moment.
American Racing - I like these but the Porsche pattern would put me off.
Sprintstars - as Lee said earlier, they're what Rob had so you know they look right.
Empi 5 spokes - these would be my choice. Don't do anything to them either, they look perfect!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bathtub57

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 01:03:19 am »

Heart attack

Sadly I never got to meet Rob, we had been chatting online and were hoping to meet at a show at some point but it never happened.
Chip

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:12:26 am »

I'd be terrified to run those 50 year old mag 5 spokes on my car. Too many horror stories of cracks and blowing apart. There are very nice looking repros available today, I'd be way more confident driving my early oval on a modern aluminum casting. Sorry for being that guy, I know this isn't thesamba  Wink
Bathtub57

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 03:17:31 am »

I'd be terrified to run those 50 year old mag 5 spokes on my car. Too many horror stories of cracks and blowing apart. There are very nice looking repros available today, I'd be way more confident driving my early oval on a modern aluminum casting. Sorry for being that guy, I know this isn't thesamba  Wink

To a certain extent I agree, it depends on what driving is done I suppose.  EMPI's especially were notorious for cracking.  The oval is not a long distance car - it's running an FK10 cam so not exactly tractable in town.  It's not a trailer queen but does get trailered to the track (with my split screen) when it gets used.  Around town the BRM's work well but I do like an original wheel.
Bruce

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 09:33:47 am »

Front brakes are unusual, the callipers are from a Ducati or BMW motorbike.  However they are in good shape and will remain for now.  
Can we see pics of these calipers?
Bathtub57

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 09:58:44 am »

Hey Bruce - funnily enough I don't have a decent picture of them on my laptop. I'm on vacation at the moment but I'll get some pictures when I get back.  I've been thing about changing them out for some time but they work perfectly well so don't see the need right now.

**edited**
Not a great picture but here is the caliber

I am sure better options exist now that what was available 20 years ago when this was done.

Meanwhile I just got her back after a full service and safety check by my good mate Max who runs a 912 service business, he looks after my VW's as a favour.  Rear brakes and carbs have been rebuilt and new rear shocks fitted.  Other than being shockingly dirty underneath it's all good now.

It does drive much better but it's still a beast which I think is mainly down to the FK10 cam that's in it, perhaps it's that I am getting older but I'm beginning to think a rebuild might be in order which maybe an FK8, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make but reading the engle website it seems that the FK8 may be more suited to my needs.  I have also had a pair of Italian 48 IDA's sat on the shelf for the past 10 years looking for a home - maybe I have just contradicted myself!  I'm going to make a couple of calls over the next few weeks and see if I can find a builder.

Anyway, gratuitous photo of her at Max's place..

That dent on the bonnet is really starting to bug me too..

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:17:35 am by Bathtub57 » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 17:37:32 pm »

I've got 48IDFs on my 2007 with an FK87, and I'm pretty sure that they help it to be driveable - I don't think it would be anywhere near as useable with IDAs.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bathtub57

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 21:18:34 pm »

I've got 48IDFs on my 2007 with an FK87, and I'm pretty sure that they help it to be driveable - I don't think it would be anywhere near as useable with IDAs.

I know it's a contradiction, I suppose tradition and nostalgia over function.

I'm trying to get a few miles in, I've become used to driving my split and my 912 which are both by comparison much smoother rides.  I'm sure I never used to be so sensitive to the pops and bangs.
Bathtub57

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 21:36:12 pm »

I got a few hours in this weekend by sacrificing going to VW Action.  Not much to say really, changing the back bumper was a pig with the brace not lining up properly, I ended up playing twister with it, legs and arms everywhere.  I'm using FastFab T Bars which are excellent but I ended up having to elongate one of the holes on the rear right.

The seats were a bit of work.  On their runners they sit way too low so I installed the runners from the buggy seats that were in the car when I got it.  There's no room in the back now and there is no tilt function.  I may end up removing the rear seat altogether as it's a pig to get to the battery and the

It was a good reminder today that customising a car, even with quality parts is not a straightforward exercise but I felt pleased with the results at the end of the day.

Any referrals for someone who can supply some decent door cards in the UK would be great, the later ones don't really go with the vibe I am looking for.
kev d

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 15:24:52 pm »

Very cool car Cool
Cheers
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Bathtub57

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 19:10:36 pm »

Very cool car Cool
Cheers
Kev

Thanks Kev.

It deserves a bit more care and attention than I have given it the last few years due to some other projects I?ve been working on but I am now making up for lost time.

I?ve spent a fair bit of time cleaning up under the front wings, on to the back now.

kev d

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 21:47:09 pm »

Very cool car Cool
Cheers
Kev

Thanks Kev.

It deserves a bit more care and attention than I have given it the last few years due to some other projects I?ve been working on but I am now making up for lost time.

I?ve spent a fair bit of time cleaning up under the front wings, on to the back now.

Think we've all been there Cheesy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Bathtub57

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 07:45:55 am »

Some kind soul took some pictures of the '54 at a swap meet this weekend and posted them up so I thought I would share them here.  It's amazing what 20 yards and a camera can do for 20 year old paintwork!

I need to polish the exhaust!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: