The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 08:46:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351100 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  putting the fast in the fastback
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: putting the fast in the fastback  (Read 5211 times)
nicolas

« on: October 16, 2007, 12:40:03 pm »

hey i have been asking a lot of questions lately regarding engine specs and gearboxes and what not. i am not a great mechanic, but i consider myself enthousiast enough to tackle the job. of course i will need a lot of input of you guys. all your help, suggestions and comments (good or bad) are welcome. this project will take a while to be finished as it will be money consuming... but nethertheless this is what i have been dreaming of since i got drawn to the callook.

here is what i start with:

my brown fastback that has a stock 4.12 trans and a 1641cc engine at the moment.

i have a DMS 84 journal crank with matching flywheel
rods 5.5 (collecting tthem tomorrow, thanks richie  Wink )
48 dellorto's on cb manifolds
an aluminium case (for fitment of the crank)
ported and polished heads (i have to check which ones as i bought them on the phone)
type 1 setup
ESH

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 14:04:34 pm »

Good luck with it. Unlike a lot of things the fun isn't in the anticipation, whilst that's good playing with a whole new power band's something else, enjoy the journey! Cool
wolfswest

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 14:29:23 pm »

looking good!  A very nice fastback and soon with real raw power!

I'm gonna follow this post!

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
kev d

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 18:09:04 pm »

Not enough fast fasty`s in the world...keep us posted Cool

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Bryan67

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:31:19 am »

Nice. I really like your car.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 19:21:49 pm »

ok some news allready. i got the parts from the UK connection today and went to the shop rightaway to talk engine again.

so the crank, flywheel, rods, pistons and pulley will be balanced, so i guess that will take a few weeks at least and the case will be checked for clearance. i also wanted to run a type4 main bearing, but i need to have the crank ground as well?? not sure how that works. but i heard that the seating of the crank would have been better with it...
anyway the case will have shuffle pins and after that i think i will debur and clean it myself... i think i can manage that part  Roll Eyes

as for my heads they have been done here in belgium many moons ago, nobody remembers where,but they have a D port shape. now i only need to match the ports. is there a lead on someone who can do this in belgium or can i do it myself?
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:28:29 pm »

ok some news allready. i got the parts from the UK connection today and went to the shop rightaway to talk engine again.

so the crank, flywheel, rods, pistons and pulley will be balanced, so i guess that will take a few weeks at least and the case will be checked for clearance. i also wanted to run a type4 main bearing, but i need to have the crank ground as well?? not sure how that works. but i heard that the seating of the crank would have been better with it...
anyway the case will have shuffle pins and after that i think i will debur and clean it myself... i think i can manage that part  Roll Eyes

as for my heads they have been done here in belgium many moons ago, nobody remembers where,but they have a D port shape. now i only need to match the ports. is there a lead on someone who can do this in belgium or can i do it myself?

Nicolas, you can match port things yourself! Matt Keene (All Torque on here) did a nice article for Volksworld on it this month!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:59:10 pm »

Nicolas, you can match port things yourself! Matt Keene (All Torque on here) did a nice article for Volksworld on it this month!

ok i will look for a copy of volksworld and read it. suck up all the info... but maybe someone can send me a copy as i don't think i will be lucky getting it locally... vw mags are not the 'norm' on the stands.
Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 14:20:32 pm »

If you're struggling, give me a shout and I'll scan it for you.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 18:59:36 pm »

If you're struggling, give me a shout and I'll scan it for you.

thanks
i will look around for it. otherwise you will hear my cry

just thought about putting up some pics of the parts i have as well...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: