The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:23:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  flywheel seal leakage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: flywheel seal leakage  (Read 4985 times)
Glauco

« on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:08 am »

Ok, what am I doing wrong here:

I put the first 200miles on the karmann and every time I stop somewhere there was a puddle of oil under the car.
I took the engine out this morning - because I'm leaving on holliday tomorrow and this couldn't wait 2 weeks, altho my girlfriend seems to think otherwise  Cheesy -

the leakage is coming from the flywheel seal, but here's the strange part: the seal is brand new and still looks brand new. the (lightened) flywheel is also brand new and shows no signs of wear what so ever...
what I did discover is when I put the seal over the flywheel (without puthing it in the engine) there is little or no resistance between the flywheel and the seal. is this normal?
it's the seal with single lip and the flywheel is a lightened one.

thank you

glauco
Garrick Clark

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 16:56:28 pm »

Did you fit a new O ring to the inside edge of the fly wheel.

Air cooled Engine builder
Glauco

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 17:09:36 pm »

Did you fit a new O ring to the inside edge of the fly wheel.

I did, but I haven't checked if it's still intact...
Thank you for the idea!

Glauco
Garrick Clark

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 19:18:51 pm »

I've fitted  seals to the flywheel hub which just slipped on with not much resistance and have in the past had to remove the inner seal spring and the wire and shorten them a bit to get them to have a tighter fit over the wheel hub. you would also benefit from bench running the engine till its fixed.

Air cooled Engine builder
Glauco

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 19:46:41 pm »

I've fitted  seals to the flywheel hub which just slipped on with not much resistance and have in the past had to remove the inner seal spring and the wire and shorten them a bit to get them to have a tighter fit over the wheel hub. you would also benefit from bench running the engine till its fixed.

That's something I have heard of as well.  I'm going to give that a try as well!
UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 15:09:08 pm »

Did you oil the seal against the Flywheel when installing?

Easy to burn new seals without it

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
StewRat

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 16:50:43 pm »

Are you sure it is the flywheel seal?

This thread documents me going through several seals and insertion techniques before discovering it was an oil gallery plug that was leaking.

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,27084.30.html

best of luck whatever it is.

stewart

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 17:16:10 pm »

Single lip seal eh? I don't see those available. cip shows 3 different seals and they're all double lip.
I took some pics of the original VW black seal from an previously untouched 1500SP engine which still didn't leak but I replaced it anyway when doing a top end rebuild.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
bedjo78

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 05:28:29 am »

After torque it up I always apply case sealant surrounding flywheel bolt. Just in case flywheel seal failed
Glauco

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 09:30:04 am »

Did you oil the seal against the Flywheel when installing?

Easy to burn new seals without it

I did, and I'm pretty sure the seal isn't burnt,  still looks brand new.
Glauco

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 09:31:22 am »

Single lip seal eh? I don't see those available. cip shows 3 different seals and they're all double lip.
I took some pics of the original VW black seal from an previously untouched 1500SP engine which still didn't leak but I replaced it anyway when doing a top end rebuild.

I explained it wrong, with double lip I wanted to say with the extra dust seal.
Martin S.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 15:07:02 pm »

I explained it wrong, with double lip I wanted to say with the extra dust seal.

Sure. But look at that original stock black 50 year old seal in my pic. It's all dried up, worn with no lip left.
I was driving the car like that for a few years. It did NOT leak, believe it or not!

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 17:22:39 pm »

If the oil return hole behind the oilseal/mainbearing is blocked then oil will be pressed out at the seal.

/Rolf
Glauco

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 13:39:59 pm »

for those who were wondering, it turned out to be the primairy shaft seal that whas leaking...
replaced both the seals (primary shaft and flywheel seal) and so far no leakages any more...

glauco
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: