The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 16:33:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  BossHoggs Le Bug Show Trip 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BossHoggs Le Bug Show Trip 2018  (Read 8035 times)
BossHogg76

« on: August 11, 2018, 17:32:57 pm »

Time for what is slowly becoming my yearly post on a trip away. Beware this post could send you to sleep, if you don't want to read my verbal diarrhoea as i do realise in the world of instagram posts like this are a bit....self indulgent....just scroll to the pics Smiley

So after going to the 50th Anniversary Show in Brussels last year, i decided that in 2018 i'd go to Le Bug show and see what all the fuss was about. A plan was hatched with Hans and at christmas i booked the ferries, and for once didn't book a hotel, i was going to have to camp  Undecided i hate camping.

It has to be said that I am ones of the worlds reluctant travellers, which considering where i've been to in my working life, everywhere from West Africa to the Northern Territories of Australia this is a bit weird. I generally have a good time (even working) when i get there, but the ball ache of lists packing etc at times, put me right off leaving home.

In preperation for the trip i plumbed in an external oil cooler, with a nice combined thermostat and filter housing combined, had the ignition curve re-profiled on the MSD and with 2 weeks to go, felt quite smug that for once i had everything sorted with plenty of time to go. However the UK and Europe are going through some of the hottest weather for decades and as time got shorter, the temperatures showed no sign of dropping. So with a week to go i decided to fit a fan and thermostat control. A few hours at work had all the bits ordered, and the weekend before the trip i got it all fitted and wired in, my 3 yo son gave me a some help, of the kind only a 3 yo can  Cheesy.

So thursday rolled around and it was time to get on the ferry, due to my amazing planning, lists and packing as i rolled up the ramp into the ferry safe in the knowledge i had prepared for every eventuality my phone started ringing....my wife.....I answered..."you what? what black bag? where is it? don't be silly it's in the car......oh crap it's not"  Roll Eyes So apparently i had managed to leave my Camelbak bag, filled with the phone chargers, travel plugs etc, thankfully i only live 20 mins from the ferry terminal so Sarah very kindly brought it down to the ferry, informed me i was a dick and left.

So a few beers, 14 hour crossing and i was back in Holland and heading to meet up with Hans, unfortunately he wasn't bringing his Grey 67, but it was still party time. It should be noted that the temperature was starting to creep up as we left his and headed to meet up with the Folks Repairs crew and friends. So at about midday we headed south in convoy, heading first to Antwerp then down to Spa. All windows were down, pop outs popped and i baked behind the wheel as we headed south, engine oil temps slowly crept up 85c..90c, then held there until Antwerp and traffic jams...arrggghhhh. I think we spent an hour negotiating stop start traffic, I was glad of some of them as it allowed me to reach under the rear seat and adjust the thermistor so that the fan kicked in at 100c. After that oil temps never got any higher. With Antwerp behind us we had a couple of breaks, and cruised south with a few more aircooled VWs appearing on the road. Then we hit the Ardenne, and the road went...uuuuppppppp, and down with some big hills, half way up one hill there was a group of classic Cadillacs parked up with the hoods open too cool down, but my Riche built 2276cc, brapped along with out a worry...well it wasn't worrying i was though...it's what i do  Cheesy.

So we arrived negotiated the tickets, got onto the camp site and very quickly you realise if you're going to go camping go with the Dutch, one huge race awning and an outside shower meant that even I was thinking camping was going to be ok.

We had a friday night walk around, 10:30pm the temperatures had dropped to 27c,  Shocked, and looked at some of the cars already on show, then hit the booze.

At about 1:30 i got to bed,...7:30 i was out of it as you can't waste a day on a small thing like a hang over. Plus the amazing wake up tune of Guten Morgen Sonnenschein ringing out was enough to make you bound out of the tent....now sure what the rest of the people around us thought....but it was such an uplifting start to the day  Grin

The rest of the day was spent, re-hydrating, avoiding sunstroke being amazed at the shear number and quality of the cars on display, taking part in the parade lap and then finally heading back to the campsite for a much needed shower.

Some how due to Hans we had an invite to the DFL 20th anniversary party, so off we headed and didn't get lost once...well maybe just once, a little bit and pulled up outside the house they had rented for the event....this looked considerably better than my tent.  Sad. It was a great evening meeting new people, catching up with others, and making sure the DFL club had a bit of Geordie memorabilia. pics below:

My mate knocked me up a Geordie related Cal look rendering which can be seen above. Below is it in all it's glory:

Sunday, was quite quiet Grin, spent most of the morning pottering around, seeing the best of show parade. Looking in the race pits, i am raging i missed Flakey Jake. then far too quickly it was time to head home.

The temps still hadn't dropped but the bug coped fine as we blasted up via Eindhoven, oil temp held steady at 90c despite the high ambient temps.
That night we headed to Happy Italy, i managed to get a wasp sting to the lower eye lid.  Angry , but rounded the night off with a killer ice cream sunday in Dordrecht.

Next day Hans had to drop his borrowed bug back at Volks Repair, and i got to have a look around, what a place, really really amazing, and it was a battle to keep my wallet in my pocket. A small breakfast in Scheveningen by the beach and then it was time to say bye to Hans and thank him once again for his hospitality and head to the ferry.

The trip once again has highlighted to me, how lucky I am with the people I know, their generosity with their time, knowledge and friendship makes trips like this special. From everyone who has been involved in building and helping to maintain my 67, it's not quite showroom fresh any more, but it was made to drive and it does that well. To the Volks Power guys, Edward, Dennis, Nick, along with Ivan and Pieter who made the camping a blast. The DFL guys Georg, Tobi, Dokke and all the rest who let me take part in their 20th anniversary, along with everyone else i met.

"Easy going, loving your car, no frills, relaxed......California Guys"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 17:38:37 pm by BossHogg76 » Logged
richie

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 19:57:09 pm »

Sounds like quite an adventure Rob, your sure it wasn't a beer & eating trip in disguise though? Shocked Wink Grin

Good to know engine behaved itself pretty much and got you home ok, looks like spec is about right for what you want it to do  Cool

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
BossHogg76

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 21:48:07 pm »

Sounds like quite an adventure Rob, your sure it wasn't a beer & eating trip in disguise though? Shocked Wink Grin

Good to know engine behaved itself pretty much and got you home ok, looks like spec is about right for what you want it to do  Cool

cheers Richie

There was no disguise that's exactly what it was  Grin

Engine is exactly what I wanted, it's got enough under to hood to embarrass some folks when I want to, and then can drone out a 250mile cruise with out a murmur. I did 500 miles for the weekend with out a hitch, testament to your skills
67paulo

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 04:27:55 am »

WOW, great story.......incredible pictures, thanks for sharing!
flatfire

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:26:59 am »

Great write up, good photos Smiley
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 01:32:04 am »

Great road trip, thanks for the story.
 Cool
Phil13

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:35:55 am »

Hi,

thanks for the nice conversation during the DFL party. It was great meeting you.

Hope to see you next year @ EBI and/or Spa Wink

Greetings Phil
Andrew

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 07:12:10 am »

Great pictures, looks like a great show, one for next year! Seems much more air cooled machinery on display than some big UK events.

Thanks for the write up.
BossHogg76

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 19:26:26 pm »

WOW, great story.......incredible pictures, thanks for sharing!

Great write up, good photos Smiley

Great road trip, thanks for the story.
 Cool

Great pictures, looks like a great show, one for next year! Seems much more air cooled machinery on display than some big UK events.

Thanks for the write up.

Thanks Guys

Hi,

thanks for the nice conversation during the DFL party. It was great meeting you.

Hope to see you next year @ EBI and/or Spa Wink

Greetings Phil

Thanks Phil, good to meet you to, hopefully will be back over again Smiley

thehanz DVK

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 21:11:11 pm »

Rob on tour  Grin.
Was nice to have you over Rob ....go,SCC next year ?  Wink

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 08:58:55 am »

Hi Rob,

thanks for the report! Glad to hear you came back home without any problems.
Thanks for coming to our little party!

Tobi
henk

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 11:56:21 am »

Nice read.
I was in spa on saterday as well but indeed it was a bit on the warm side this year.
Looks like you had another nice trip.

Henk!!!
BossHogg76

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 13:50:44 pm »

Rob on tour  Grin.
Was nice to have you over Rob ....go,SCC next year ?  Wink

SCC could be difficult as i think the ferries from Newcastle don't go near where i need to be, but will look into it

Hi Rob,

thanks for the report! Glad to hear you came back home without any problems.
Thanks for coming to our little party!

Tobi

Thanks Todi, hope the rest of your evening went well

Nice read.
I was in spa on saterday as well but indeed it was a bit on the warm side this year.
Looks like you had another nice trip.

Henk!!!

Hi Henk, just a little bit warm wasn't;t it  Grin. Hope you had a good time as well.

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 20:20:38 pm »

A bit warm? That's one of the more drought weather we had for the last century  Shocked
The Province's governor prohibit any camp fire, BBQ in public place and on strict supervision for private property. So no BBQ on the camp site. No big deal, but some people where not very happy about that.
I only live a bit more than one hour from Francorchamps but can't make it this year  Sad Your pictures are amazing though  Wink
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 07:56:43 am »

Nice story and nice pictures Rob.
Thanks.

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 05:23:14 am »

I see a lot of nice Cal Looker great job !!!

Frenchy

Dr Detail !

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
BossHogg76

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 19:35:55 pm »

A bit warm? That's one of the more drought weather we had for the last century  Shocked
The Province's governor prohibit any camp fire, BBQ in public place and on strict supervision for private property. So no BBQ on the camp site. No big deal, but some people where not very happy about that.
I only live a bit more than one hour from Francorchamps but can't make it this year  Sad Your pictures are amazing though  Wink

It was mental, i just hope that some peoples actions haven't jeopardised next years show

Nice story and nice pictures Rob.
Thanks.

Thanks JeePee, hopefully catch you at the next show i come over for

I see a lot of nice Cal Looker great job !!!

Frenchy

Dr Detail !

Thanks Frenchy looking forward to seeing your project finished
Steve67

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 06:23:15 am »

nice story, it was fun to read it!
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 18:54:32 pm »

It was mental, i just hope that some peoples actions haven't jeopardised next years show

Let's hope it  Undecided
EN
The 26th BUGSHOW was a very good edition this year, despite individuals who have done their best to spoil the atmosphere.

The provincial ban on making fire and using BBQ's, because of the extreme drought, has touched each of us in their way of camping and preparing food, fortunately without spoiling our good mood. We, the organizers, have been putting the safety of our participants first for 26 years. This mandatory measure was therefore implemented by us everywhere, in order to guarantee the safety of thousands of people who sleep in the woods.

Some people complain that the regulations are far too strict and we have too many rules. However, these rules have come about because of the actions of certain individuals, which forces us to make these safety rules stricter. Rest assured, we don?t take this lightly. Even with its pristine reputation of "No1 VW Meeting of Europe" it could well be that the VW BUGSHOW will disappear in 2019.

The relevant authorities and the circuit have not yet given their approval for the 27th edition. The fact that cans, stones and other things were thrown at the police and at the security services also has an impact on this decision, and certainly does not give a good impression of our meeting.

So it is a difficult waiting period for the organizing committee and the volunteers. Everyone hopes that there will be a next edition and that it will continue with respect from everyone.
Straight Time

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 13:30:52 pm »

Great write up. Nice one.

No retreat, No surrender !
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 20:52:16 pm »

Cool blog, it's a great show too. Went a few years back in my '63 split and did Spa too, an amazing trip. Did EBI in the Bug which was so much fun. Putting the miles in with an aircooled really is what it's all about!
Adsixnine

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 06:50:27 am »

Oh nice trip

cedric

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 14:30:56 pm »

I am part of the group club from lebug show,we still have NO green light for next year...hope it come soon..
Flakeyjake

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 16:42:33 pm »

I am part of the group club from lebug show,we still have NO green light for next year...hope it come soon..
That i hope every day, lebug show 2019, this is the best aircooled event in europe Smiley and i think there are a lot off people some agree !!!

Wait and hope.... Smiley

PB 12.13 @ 177kmh SCC2015
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 20:00:16 pm »

That i hope every day, lebug show 2019, this is the best aircooled event in europe Smiley and i think there are a lot off people some agree !!!

Wait and hope.... Smiley

Everybody agree, but some people can't respect a few basic rules to make a multi thousands people event safe for everyone  Undecided

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: