The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 00:13:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  the FIIK build
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: the FIIK build  (Read 3625 times)
leeb1977

« on: August 14, 2018, 16:37:33 pm »

HI all.
 Names Lee, and this is my 1970 bug 'Colin'.

He's currently for sale - as he has been off and on for the last year, because i've not got a clue which direction I want to push him in and its winding me up.

I've bored everyone I know with it - so if its not sold by the end of the month I've got to actually do something with it!

As you can see - he's currently rocking a back to 89 style,  with one piece windows, early front wings, trims removed, bonnet catch removed and custom rear lights (as well as record interior).

I've joined here to get a little inspiration as im sick of going around in circles (hence the F***ed If I Know title).

Firstly - still unsure if I should stay with the sloping lights on the front and just change the lights at the back - or do I go back to std all around?

Hes a mish mash at the minute of different eras. I do kind of like sloppies... but the uprights give a more aggressive look imo.

Current wheels are sitting on adaptors into 4x130 PCD drums and discs.

So - heres the question... what would YOU do Wink

Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 17:33:27 pm »

Welcome Lee, this is hands down the best place for sorting out your car!
I think the quickest and most substantial change would be front wings and rear lights. Put them back to late 1200 spec, add over-riders to the bumpers or swap them for T-bars, and that's stage 1!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Andrew

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:24:34 am »

Welcome Lee, this is hands down the best place for sorting out your car!
I think the quickest and most substantial change would be front wings and rear lights. Put them back to late 1200 spec, add over-riders to the bumpers or swap them for T-bars, and that's stage 1!

And a standard decklid number plate, cabrio style decklid is perfect for a bigger engine, stage 2.

Good-Old-Ragtop60

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:40:13 am »

Welcome Lee!
That looks like a good base for a Cal Looker. Keep it!  Cool
First IŽd change the lights and the decklid as Neil said.
YouŽve got cool wheels, Color, Talbot mirror and one-pice Windows...
Just make slight changes and enjoy it furthermore.

cheers, Tobi
leeb1977

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:53:29 am »

Thanks all - great ideas to push this forward.
However... this particular build has come to an abrupt end, as it sold when I least expected it to.

Now, things have moved quickly as I take delivery of my next one sometime before the end of the month Wink

This one is correct for the year and has had a full ground up restoration. The paint was the final hurdle and this is the one area which was attacked cheaply and painted on a driveway... and it shows.

So its a case of sorting the paint work out (or at least repairing the current paint job so that its more presentable) and then attacking the style.

Right now, if I'm honest, I'm torn between German look and Cal. My son loves a German looker... and I might well push it down this direction at some point, but to just use it and en joy it ill probably go down the cal look route to start off with Smiley

leeb1977

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:32 am »

Im thinking of changing the wheels and replacing the bumpers with T Bars - and removing those stickers to start off with.

Any more thoughts?
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 14:40:48 pm »

Yep, lose the bumpers and stickers, throw the roofrack into the canal so no other poor beetle has to have it, then wheels and tyres. Rivieras would look good!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: