The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:10:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Fittings into Holley Pump - Not enough threads?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fittings into Holley Pump - Not enough threads?  (Read 3328 times)
Stephen schmidt

« on: September 25, 2018, 20:42:12 pm »

So I've narrowed down my fuel system to Holley components, however I'm having trouble with the fittings...or at least I think I am.

Fuel pump: Holley Blue
Fuel Pressure Reg - Holley Red 1-4 psi
Fuel filter - Holley pre-pump 100 micron filter

All of the components are supposed to take an NPT 3/8 fittings.  I'm going -6an / 3/8 from tank to the regulator.  However, the fittings i have don't seem to screw deep enough into the components!  I realize they are all tapered fittings, however only 3.5 threads in don't seem like enough.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks, Stephen
Stephen schmidt

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:13:00 am »

Update: Went home a tried a bunch of left over aeroquip fittings and they thread in 2 turns further! They have more of a taper to them...my thoughts on all AN fittings being fairly equal was wrong!
andrewlandon67

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 15:45:15 pm »

Come to think of it, the last time I had to buy some AN fittings for something, I believe the Jegs website actually specified the degree of taper, I think it was 23 or something. I wonder why that all is? Anyway, congrats for getting it sorted out!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Stephen schmidt

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 00:06:19 am »

Come to think of it, the last time I had to buy some AN fittings for something, I believe the Jegs website actually specified the degree of taper, I think it was 23 or something. I wonder why that all is? Anyway, congrats for getting it sorted out!

Huh! I'll need to make sure of it next time I order.

I felt a little sheepish posting what I did, however I haven't had a modified aircooled VW for quite sometime and I used to not think much of things like this.  I always figured the guys behind the counter knew more about it than I did, so I trusted their judgement!

andrewlandon67

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 00:25:52 am »

I felt a little sheepish posting what I did, however I haven't had a modified aircooled VW for quite sometime and I used to not think much of things like this.  I always figured the guys behind the counter knew more about it than I did, so I trusted their judgement!

It's certainly a weird thing to have to specify, and the whole time I was waiting to put all of my stuff together, I was worried that I'd have ordered the wrong taper or something!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Stephen schmidt

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 01:03:31 am »

For sure!  I've seen too many "built cars" with things just thrown together.  If it takes an hour longer to do it the right way, just spend the time and you won't regret it later.

It's certainly a weird thing to have to specify, and the whole time I was waiting to put all of my stuff together, I was worried that I'd have ordered the wrong taper or something!
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 07:31:08 am »

The side going into the pump is the NPT side. It has a set taper (1 inch of diameter per 16 inch length).

What brand of fitting did you get?

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
Stephen schmidt

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 15:19:58 pm »

The side going into the pump is the NPT side. It has a set taper (1 inch of diameter per 16 inch length).

What brand of fitting did you get?

Yes, correct.  3/8 NPT to -6AN is the fitting i purchased.  Brand was Russell.  The fittings that fit perfectly and threaded in about 6 turns were aeroquip.
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 15:40:35 pm »

The taper will be the same, just ?where? in the taper the threads start.

The '67:

The '59:
Not yet..
Stephen schmidt

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 16:18:55 pm »

Thats true.  However then, for the russell fitting to comfortably work it would need to be another 1/4" long i guess.
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 16:29:44 pm »

Thats true.  However then, for the russell fitting to comfortably work it would need to be another 1/4" long i guess.

Or the hole bigger..

The '67:

The '59:
Not yet..
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: