The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:53:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  72 street bug
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 72 street bug  (Read 17107 times)
Flc

« on: September 28, 2018, 07:51:45 am »

Hello everyone, been lurking here for a while now, it?s about time I started a build thread, now that I?ve worked out how to post pictures 🤔😎.
So onto the car, bought a year ago as a hot 1200. From a friend, solid enough car , some 80?s mot repairs, but ready to roll, here she is as bought
Flc

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:56:55 am »

I have been using it a daily for the last year whilst I built a bigger motor and collected all the other nick nacks needed to run something more lively,
The motor is a 2109 built using the remainder of a previous 1915 motor and some parts/help/advice from Richie on here😎
Spec is
CB 76mm crank and 5.5? h beam rods
Alloy bubble top case
Scat super ?d? heads 42x37
Fk8 +1.4 rockers
44idfs
9.5cr
Plus a load of other expensive shiny crap that is needed to run one of these 😀 [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Flc

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 12:19:17 pm »

The motor is now together ready for cam break in etc,
But the car could do with a little work. So a small body off tickle up is well underway,
Whilst the car is apart I?ll also be adding a mid mount, an air fuel gauge and wiring. Plus a change of seats and doors
Unfortunately losing the jolly Rodgers.
It?s currently running a 65mm narrowed beam on CB drop spindles and four stud discs.
To allow the 6 inch cobra slots to clear the archers.
I?ve been busy collecting repair panels in readiness for the big weld up. Should keep me out of trouble during the winter months
Flc

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 23:10:54 pm »

So a bit of background on how this came to be,
A few years back I put together a sweet 67 bug with a 1915 motor, was just running the motor in when I crashed and wrote it off. I was so gutted, worst day of my life, I?d put three years of graft, every spare second and every spare penny, you know how that goes. Only to see it wrote off,
After a few days I?d decided to try a type 3 as a body to house the 1915, two year Resto later , I have a solid fairly cool fastback, but the fire breathing motor sempt  tame in the much heavier fasty, also the odd layout of the type 3 didn?t help performance, I quickly decided to pass on the fasty to someone who would/could appreciate the finery of that design as I realised that a fast bug is what made my heart beat faster ( no pun intended)
Around this time my mate needed to pass on his bug, the money made from the sale of the fasty left me with more than enough coin to buy the bug and upgrade the motor 🤪😎
To be fair it wasn?t high on my must have list but a solid enough car with mot at the right price, made it..... well mine
Ok the styling wasn?t exactly what I would build but I was back in a bug 😎
More later....
Flc

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 23:31:57 pm »

The fasty
And the bug before and after
Still gutted four years later 🤢🤯
beetletom

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 16:32:16 pm »

Like the cobra supa slots, I?m after a pair, can?t find any!
Flc

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 20:11:44 pm »

thanks beetletom there getting rare these days, I found both sets on ebay (sold one set like a fool)
mine are 6 inch allround pain in th rear to get them to clear on the front.
beetletom

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 00:10:05 am »

thanks beetletom there getting rare these days, I found both sets on ebay (sold one set like a fool)

I have a pair of 4.5? us indy mags for the front of mine,
But yes! Heard the offset is terrible
Flc

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 19:16:39 pm »

I have a pair of 4.5? us indy mags for the front of mine,
But yes! Heard the offset is terrible
Yes not the best but worth the hassle, I?ll keep an eye out for some.
Flc

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 19:25:02 pm »

Progress has been slow due to work commitments, but managed to strip the body off [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
And chop out the old pans, found some grot in the frame head and some interesting repairs [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
So got a new complete one ,wow lots of fun and not without a little worry when you get everything chopped out and remember the fun you can have just fitting things like pans etc (due to the randomness of pressings and poor quality) this is no different but think it will go in reasonably well with a bit of a massage
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 19:31:58 pm by Flc » Logged
Flc

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 19:39:17 pm »

Positive progress at last 😀 also managed to fit a mid mount I made a while back
Flc

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 21:00:14 pm »

karl h

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:47:36 am »

very nice project! i see you use the aftermarket framehead, be very careful with it. i tried to use the napoleon hat of the same manufacture and found out it is too high, about 10mm. the problem is you find that out when you want to mate your shiny new painted pan to your newly painted body - no way to correct that but putting a disc grinder to the parts....
you might want to check that

Flc

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 08:28:31 am »

Thanks for the kind words and the advice Karl h, I thought ah it?s ok, I have this covered as I?m replacing the bulkhead too, but yes your right ,the panels are off by around ten mil, so appreciate you mentioning it, looks like I?ll have to adjust the naps hat area to allow it to work
Flc

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 06:34:37 am »

Following on ,I checked another naps hat out that I?d already converted to r/h drive, it was a lot smaller in profile. So after fitting the frame head, what felt like a thousand times, I unpicked and swapped them over , not getting as much time as I?d like on this but at least it?s some progress
Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 21:15:09 pm »

Is the bigger one a 1302/03 Napoleons hat? I've got vague recollections of them being thicker, and I'm pretty sure the torsion bar framehead will fit snugly inside the tunnel of a strut pan.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Flc

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 15:45:09 pm »

Hi Neil, don?t think it was a strut naps hat, just a poor pressing, it came welded to the new frame head, stranger things have happened tho🤔
Flc

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 07:13:01 am »

Finally after age the dam thing is on, [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] checking after welding shows that the beam was higher one end by 10mm 🤬 the rest of the frame head was bang level, meaning the front plate was twisted, I ended up bolting the pan to the floor and using a trolley jack and pull lift chains to correct the miss alignment. Got to love aftermarket parts. When  all was good I moved onto the pans
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:27:39 am by Flc » Logged
alex d

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 09:09:37 am »

seriously, 10mm off?  Shocked
Flc

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 10:57:28 am »

Yes 5mm aside, the naps hat area was plum level.
 I had a new unused stock beam that I used to check it with as my had been narrowed and adjusters fitted, the pressings for beam location are poor , but hold the beam well enough, I bolted the naps hat area to the floor then tweaked the beam until it measured spot on, took a fair bit of effort and a lot of measuring
Flc

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 19:20:05 pm »

Time for an update, floor pan is finished, now onto body work, I started with some patern heater channels which I unpicked the closing plate to remove heater tube and paint inside [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Flc

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 19:25:41 pm »

No wonder they don’t last very long in raw steel, I painted and cavity waxed them and fitted hookies bottoms [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] then decided that the shell was a little too rough (roof was badly dented and mostly rotted) so located a replacement shell [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] still needing a fair amount of surgery but a lot better starting point
Flc

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 11:34:34 am »

Turns out this one is as bad in all the same places, but had really good gutters and roof, so attack is the plan [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] looks like I’ll be busy for a while 🤔😀 but will end up with a solid base, wasn’t ment to be a Resto thread ... I’ll get to the fun stuff eventually
Flc

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 23:16:08 pm »

More progress, can’t believe (even tho it’s no secret) how badly some of this stuff fits, had to modify most parts to get them close , but it’s coming together 😁 really slowly
Flc

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 21:48:17 pm »

More messing around and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank mr Klockerholm for making my evenings so challenging ,yet rewarding 😅😀
But at least it’s progress and not actually that bad😳
Flc

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 21:54:59 pm »

Also managed to fettle the door pillar bottom from hookies, a lovely fit straight out of the box, although turns out later shells are contoured on the inside edge of the pillar 🤯 so a little tickle required to blend out the differences, happy days .I’m try to get as many hours as possible on this to get back to tuning and stuff
Ps note to self , Always remember to turn off compressor when locking up! To stop it auto starting at 3am and waking up the neighbors 🤭 oops
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 22:29:27 pm by Flc » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 09:21:26 am »

Looking good. With the exception of the framehead, we've got the same repairs to do to our '71 at school - nothing I've not done before though! Worst bit for me is the accident damage in the front. You haven't still got the old shell by any chance? And if so (and you'd consider getting rid of it) where are you?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Flc

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 11:00:39 am »

Hi Neil, thanks, the old shell was cut up the only good parts were the screen scuttle and some bits of the roof gutters, this pic shows how bad it was
In s yorkshire
Neil Davies

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 19:09:44 pm »

I saw the SVWOC sticker and wondered! I did my degree at SHU many years ago but hung about with the guys from Sheffield Aircoolers instead.
Your old shell does look bad! Not seen one go there for a long time.

Flc

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 09:31:49 am »

Hi Neil was originally from Sheffield 😎 moved a few miles away now, are you running cookie cutters on your car? I have a set for this and a few fitment questions, more progress although only looks like five minutes worth, had to buy another Klockerholm panel for rear quarter as og mexi ones seem to have dried up, blurb says to 64 but can be used on later cars from swage line down 🤔 well yes if you have a good imagination and like panel beating 😀 some pictures
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:40:07 am by Flc » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: