The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:36:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Stock 411 wishes to go faster!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Stock 411 wishes to go faster!!  (Read 2337 times)
Ridge411

« on: March 03, 2008, 08:00:42 am »

Hi everybody Wink

I'm new and hope to find my hapiness here Tongue!
I recently bought a 411 to get more knowledge about Type4 engines.(as I already own a 1963beetle with a quite small engine 1776  Roll Eyes)

According to the previous owner,the engine is nomore a 1700 but a 2L T4 (94mmx71) with a dual central carb.
It works pretty god as a daily driver car but I'm convinced that I can get more HP with it if correctly tuned.

Some new parts went with the car at its buying:

- two cylinder heads with 37.5x33 valves
- a SCAT camshaft C20 430x278 with related pushrods.
- two secondhand 40DRLA dual carbs (with 36mm chokes)

I wish to complete the list above if you think these would be correct parts to get about 150hp.
if I seem to be dreaming :-\your advices would be greatly welcomed Wink

I also have the choice between a 200mm and 228mm clutch kit that are already in my possession.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:40:12 am »

How close do you live to the Grand Canyon? Should reach a good speed by the time it hits the bottom... Sorry, couldn't resist!  Roll Eyes

I'm sure some of our German friends wil be able to help you. Good luck! Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Ridge411

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:10:08 am »

incredibly far away from Grand Canyon;D!even for a flying beetle Grin
I've got no technical instruments to evaluate the car power at the time,but I'm sure it's something like 85HP,that means completely under-exploited Angry!

I know something is wrong somewhere coz' it's not even faster than my 1776beetle Huh
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 16:07:38 pm »

Could just find your self an 914 engine to start with takes it from 80 -100 hp ?
Ivan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 18:53:18 pm »

There are plenty of tuning companies in Germany who will be able to help.
The best contacts would be;
 www.ahnendorp.com.
 www.customspeedparts.de
 http://www.gwd-weiser.de/index2.htm

The Type 4 engine can be made to produce a lot more power, but bear in mind they are much more expensive to work in in terms of aftermarket parts in comparison to the Type 1 motor which has far greater aftermarket back-up.

Still, you can get a Type 4 up to and way beyond 2.5 litre and double the stock power output. This is really good, as the faster you can make that car go, the less chance you'll have of someone seeing you driving it! You don't want someone to ask if you're the guy who drives around in a gargoyle, do you? Grin
Ridge411

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:45:16 am »

I did already have in mind to take off the 94mm cylinder bore to replace it by something bigger by I don't have any idea of how far can I go bigger to avoid buying too much parts for the best matching combination.

I'd wish to keep the carbs and the cylinder heads and why not the camshaft too.Or do you think I wouldn't reach 150hp within keeping these parts Huh

anyway thanks for the website adresses Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: