The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 17:45:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Ed Mancini California
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ed Mancini California  (Read 7874 times)
beatnik beetle

« on: December 05, 2018, 18:20:36 pm »

Hey Loungers...Ive had a bee in my bonnet about trying to find a custom bug that was featured in Hot Rod Magazine back in the 70's...Root beer brown chopped oval called Pegasus..it was built or at least painted by Ed "The Best in the West " Mancini...for some strange reason I feel the car is still around...but, I'm probably wrong..I have googled myself to death and found only mentions of his name regarding his Econoline Van..does anyone know if Ed's still around..or know anything about the car?..thanks Simon
jick

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 22:21:00 pm »

Hey Simon, I was searching for roofchopped car pictures on here last night and I remember seeing a 70's metallic brown chopped car.....
I'm not sure how to link it, but if you search for a thread by Lids, '"is a Roofchop really cal-look?"
There's a photo of a heavily chopped brown cal looker on about the 4th post on the thread.......
Is that the one??
It's an oval, on BRMs from an old magazine feature from the looks of the photo, there's s rear shot of it too, a bit further down
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 23:03:27 pm by jick » Logged

Bryan67

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:29:10 am »

I`m sure you already know this but... that Bug was in a background shot in the movie "Hollywood Knights". And it`s been a favorite on mine since I first saw it in Hot VW's.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
beatnik beetle

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:58:12 am »

Hey Jick and Bryan 67...Jick..different car but, Ive always liked that one Wink...and Bryan I didn't know about Hollywood Knights..although I did hear ( and I'm surprised to say it as I have seen the film hundreds of times but, I heard it is also in American Graffiti...)..I'm checking that out in the next few days...Google seems to be so rubbish these days  or maybe I'm missing something..?..thanks anyway
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 21:10:28 pm »

feel this is what you are after:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5227879

5 mins on google and boom
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 21:13:16 pm by Lids » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
jick

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 23:20:48 pm »

Suicide doors and angled B pillars.....👍👍💥💥.                                             
That colour though.....now that's really giving me something to think about for my chopped

Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 01:50:49 am »

I've always liked the one on BRMs - it's on the cover of Hot VWs back in 1978 or so? This one would be better if not for those lightning bolt things, and what's going on with the headlamps?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
jick

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 09:20:38 am »

I'm not entirely against the headlight treatment......the lightning bumper things need to be photoshopped out of those images so everyone involved can pretend that it never happened..... Smiley

beatnik beetle

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 15:32:45 pm »

Cheers Lids..now I need to try and find it.....
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 21:42:23 pm »

I'm not entirely against the headlight treatment......the lightning bumper things need to be photoshopped out of those images so everyone involved can pretend that it never happened..... Smiley

Sure!

But, that's one of the best looking roof chop I've ever seen!
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 14:42:37 pm »

Its probably not the same car, you can look for the details, but there is a chopped oval with slanted B posts and suicide doors on oldbug.com right now, have a look.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Glauco

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 17:42:22 pm »

Its probably not the same car, you can look for the details, but there is a chopped oval with slanted B posts and suicide doors on oldbug.com right now, have a look.

It's Franky Freeman's from san bernardinos vw German autohaus old chop top. Beautiful car as well!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

A lot of photo's there!
http://www.oldbug.com/freeman.htm

Glauco
restojohnny

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 18:25:38 pm »

I?ve been trying to sell Frankies chop top here on the lounge for the past 1 1/2 years.  It?s never been in a magazine before.  Frankie drives it all the time. It?s a beautiful oval.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 18:27:16 pm by restojohnny » Logged

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
Russell

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 22:50:20 pm »

Cheers Lids..now I need to try and find it.....

Well Simon, I now have my very reliable network of wheeler dealers looking out for this... you wont believe this but I'm sure there was a car very similar in the collection of the guy that owned the race shop bus up in Oakland.... will try and fine out more. I assume you've tried Randy ?

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
beatnik beetle

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 10:10:33 am »

Cheers Russell...Ive tried Randy and a few others to even see if Ed is still about..if it's in a collection thats cool...this car made an impact on the 15 year old me and it would be interesting to learn its fate...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: