The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 18:56:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  7.21@177mph flat 4 door powered car, is a 6second pass possible now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: 7.21@177mph flat 4 door powered car, is a 6second pass possible now?  (Read 24083 times)
Neil Davies

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2019, 07:47:16 am »

I wonder about the power transfer efficiency between the stock transaxle and a front engine arrangement.
I think the weight would be similar in the end, maybe a bit heavier for front-engine, but for a low-HP setup perhaps the stock layout is quicker still.
Maybe?
Dunno.

In other words, can you borrow that engine for your car, "just to see how it goes, In the interests of science", right?  Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2019, 09:50:31 am »

Cheesy
Uhhmmm, well ......  Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2019, 18:38:41 pm »

Cheesy
Uhhmmm, well ......  Grin

Grin
In all seriousness, you do raise a good point. We know that the weight transfer of a rear engined bug is good, hence relatively low power cars running decent times (200bhp into the 11s). We also know that the transaxle is a weak point, or there would be no need for bus box conversions, Mendeola etc. Get around that and big power cars can run well (Richie's second cab for example), but it seems very hard to do it reliably and consistently.
So that leads us onto front engines. Big power is not the problem, a drag-proven transmission behind it and a solid back axle removes the VW transaxle issue, and the amount of power produced compensates for the weight transfer advantage of the rear engine configuration.
I'm guessing that the car handles a bit more predictably with the weight up front too, but I've never been quicker than a low 12 on the track so it's all purely speculation on my part!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2019, 12:08:22 pm »

In all seriousness, you do raise a good point. We know that the weight transfer of a rear engined bug is good, hence relatively low power cars running decent times (200bhp into the 11s). We also know that the transaxle is a weak point, or there would be no need for bus box conversions, Mendeola etc. Get around that and big power cars can run well (Richie's second cab for example), but it seems very hard to do it reliably and consistently.

Absolutely everyone can decide that they want to go dragracing and you do not even have to have a driving licence. All it takes is a fair bit of money and a few hours set aside for the needed race licence and you can go as fast as you want to or have the budget for. Take a V8, add a turbo, step on the brake, add throttle and let go of the brake when the light goes green. 6 seconds later cross the line and post the film from the GoPro on youtube.

This sport is NOTHING unless you can do it IN STYLE together with a group of friends and have fun while doing it. Add a little madness into the mix and you will create everlasting memories.

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Frallan

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2019, 14:58:17 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Once again....very easy to get all excited and think they lowered it already.
Now, I am pretty sure they will, sooner or later. This carTeam has more to give.

WhiteTrash

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2019, 20:26:08 pm »

That team certainly seem to have the money and no doubt the dedication to develop the car to push the limit time and time again.
Just watched the video from yesterday...wow.

But yes, the fun factor should remain too  Wink

HOFF#67

Lotus White '67's are the best!!!
Airspeed

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2019, 21:25:14 pm »

Absolutely everyone can decide that they want to go dragracing and you do not even have to have a driving licence. All it takes is a fair bit of money and a few hours set aside for the needed race licence and you can go as fast as you want to or have the budget for. Take a V8, add a turbo, step on the brake, add throttle and let go of the brake when the light goes green. 6 seconds later cross the line and post the film from the GoPro on youtube.

This sport is NOTHING unless you can do it IN STYLE together with a group of friends and have fun while doing it. Add a little madness into the mix and you will create everlasting memories.

-BB-

Hear, hear!

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
LGK

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2019, 22:14:28 pm »

I believe the Volkron went 7.18 last week...

Airspeed

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 08:17:56 am »

Hey Richie,
I did notice from the first picture you posted on page 1 that this methanol fueled car has an intercooler Wink
Interesting!

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
richie

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2019, 09:42:06 am »

Hey Richie,
I did notice from the first picture you posted on page 1 that this methanol fueled car has an intercooler Wink
Interesting!

it does and over 50psi boost in a very hot country Wink

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Christiano

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2019, 18:48:00 pm »

it does and over 50psi boost in a very hot country Wink

Plus you don't lose that much of HP neither raise your ET by cooling the charge with an intercooler (and carrying the weight of it) when compared to throwing a bunch of fuel into the cylinders.
Unless you're on a big displacement engine where the cooler weight takes more of your ET than the super rich tune.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: