The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:22:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Any pics of a CSP Heaterbox Python on a Beetle?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any pics of a CSP Heaterbox Python on a Beetle?  (Read 3749 times)
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« on: February 14, 2019, 14:20:47 pm »

I did a quick search, and only found some pics from Jim Ratto, and Sepi, but neither were what I was really looking for. Anyone have any rear, side, or ground level pics of one of CSP’s Python Exhausts that incorporates the heaterboxes on a Beetle? Looking for a 1 5/8, and 1 3/4 heaterbox exhaust solution to gain ground clearance over a current “mondo/fatboy” style muffler with a header.
JezWest

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 22:43:20 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The muffler is 215mm off the floor.
The loop on the left side header is 210m off the floor.
The bend in the middle is 195mm off the floor.

I used to run a mondo on here and I think I got about another 2 inches of ground clearance when I switched to the Python.

My car has stock rear ride height (205/70 R15 tyres) and 2" dropped front (155/70 R15 tyres).

Hope that helps.

It was nothing to do with me...
gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 02:16:07 am »

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! Grin

The car I’m gathering info for is in Winter storage, but I’ll have to take some current measurements to compare. It is very similar in ride height in the rear with a 195/65 R15 tire, but lower in the front with an old skool 145/80 R15. Thank you VERY much for taking the time to take the pictures!
Andrew

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 18:16:47 pm »

Anyone got a pic of the Python mounted with a Berg-style traction bar? I was wondering if the Python's silencer box would foul on the bar?

thanks.
JezWest

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 19:32:48 pm »

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to take the pictures!

Happy to help!

JezWest

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 19:45:21 pm »

Anyone got a pic of the Python mounted with a Berg-style traction bar? I was wondering if the Python's silencer box would foul on the bar?

thanks.

I used to run one before I bought the Python. It won't fit with the standard brackets and hanger because the muffler gets in the way, just as you say. I wondered about using a Type 3 engine mount or maybe some other mounting. I seem to remember the bar itself got in the way of the collector too.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 10:59:03 am »

What do you use instead of the tratcion bar?

PS I spoke to CSP and they also confirmed it won't fit.
JezWest

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 21:49:22 pm »

Just the Berg mount on the trans. Seems to work just fine, it is a street car and I'm generally careful with the gearbox: it's the 47 year old original after all and I've got the (weaker?) short axles from a '61.

gkeeton@zbzoom.net

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 03:58:40 am »

Judging from this image from Sepi’s build, if the muffler is the main interference issue, could you possibly move the hangers of a Berg style traction under the apron on the inside of the bumper mounts? I suppose one could bite the bullet, and go all out with a shock tower truss style mount instead of a rear bar. Then you would have to have one that clears the heaterboxes.
Martin S.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 15:22:37 pm »

I’m now using the gray rubber mounts, the Berg trans midmount and an EMPI truss Bar kit along with a HD rear trans carrier.
The result now seems very solid and quieter than the berg cross bar and doesn’t have the interference problems.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Andrew

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 07:57:40 am »

Currently thinking about talking to Turbo Thomas as they build to order, I think.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: