The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:22:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Alternator vs. Generator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alternator vs. Generator  (Read 3141 times)
andrewlandon67

« on: February 19, 2019, 00:09:40 am »

So the generator on my 1914 is starting to seize up a bit (it doesn't spin on its own when turned by hand) and I have the option of either keeping it generator, with a really nice one that a friend has around, or converting it to an alternator with a different friend's nice, original Bosch alternator. Either way I'm not worried about power since there's no stereo in my car, but I'm more concerned with which one will live longer on a hot street motor (occasional runs up to 7k crank RPM). Any advice would be great, thanks!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Bruce

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 16:50:19 pm »

My car came with a Bosch alternator.  The original one is still working perfectly with close to 300,000 miles on it.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 21:38:32 pm »

300,000 miles sounds like a pretty good recommendation... how often do you really wrap your motor up beyond 6k rpm?

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 10:04:53 am »

The previous engine used to rev pretty good.  I'd go over 7k every time I drove the car.  rev limiter set to 7500.  Used to hit it all the time.
The engine in it now does't rev as high.  It's done by about 6300.

I really like the original Bosch ones with the external regulator under the back seat.  When I come across good parts, I'll save them.  After I had a couple of spares, I thought, what's the point, I only need the one.
j-dub

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 02:53:41 am »

I always choose generators simply because I don't like the look of VW alternators.

andrewlandon67

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 20:40:51 pm »

The previous engine used to rev pretty good.  I'd go over 7k every time I drove the car.  rev limiter set to 7500.  Used to hit it all the time.
The engine in it now does't rev as high.  It's done by about 6300.

I really like the original Bosch ones with the external regulator under the back seat.  When I come across good parts, I'll save them.  After I had a couple of spares, I thought, what's the point, I only need the one.

Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear! I'm not going to be going up to 8k or anything, and I pull the belt off for racing, but I'd like the security of knowing I can abuse it a little bit.
J-dub, I definitely know what you mean, they're kinda goofy, but if that's what I need to have to keep it from failing, then I'll deal with kinda goofy looking.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 21:06:42 pm »

I always choose generators simply because I don't like the look of VW alternators.

Form follows function...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: