The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 00:10:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Paint for Plastic steering wheel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Paint for Plastic steering wheel  (Read 2814 times)
andrewlandon67

« on: April 10, 2019, 17:35:56 pm »

I've finally gotten around to filling in the cracks and such on my VDM Coach wheel, my next step is obviously to repaint the rim, but I have no idea what sort of paint to use. I'm leaning more towards a gloss or semi-gloss black for the color, if that simplifies it any. Thanks!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
ALB

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 18:15:02 pm »

You need something pretty tough, that will stand up to the constant handling, wear and bombardment of oil/dirt that come off your hands, yet is (relatively) easy to work with, so I would suggest a 2 component polyurethane. All the automotive paint companies make a version and should come in both gloss and semi-gloss. Al
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 20:22:44 pm »

More than the paint itself, a good plastic primer is essential if you want a durable result.
I'm pretty sure there is an article made by Hot vw's how Bob Koch restore a steering wheel.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 21:07:20 pm »

You need something pretty tough, that will stand up to the constant handling, wear and bombardment of oil/dirt that come off your hands, yet is (relatively) easy to work with, so I would suggest a 2 component polyurethane. All the automotive paint companies make a version and should come in both gloss and semi-gloss. Al

Good to know! I'll get started on looking into paints similar to that.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

ALB

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 03:10:59 am »

Forgot to add- the solvents in this type of paint are quite toxic so you'll need a respirator that takes charcoal filters and you'll need to do this in an area separate from living space. Have fine tipped tweezers handy in case bugs are a problem. And yeah, the Hot VW's article where Mr. Koch does a steering wheel restoration will be a good read. Any body know what issue it was in? I'm pretty sure it was a few years ago.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 20:08:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure you it's been published in the "totally tech edition", if you can find it. Lot's of good stuff inside.
Sam K

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 15:41:20 pm »

I used epoxy paint for appliances when I restored the stock steering wheel for my camaro about ten years ago and it's held up very well.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 21:01:28 pm »

I'll see what I can find as far as epoxy stuff goes! Still going back and forth between doing it in black or some shade of darker brown...

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: