The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 23:58:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Red Zeppelin 67
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Red Zeppelin 67  (Read 95573 times)
jay c

« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2019, 22:15:29 pm »

Didnt want to bolt the fuel pump bracket directly to the bulkhead so made a cradle which would let me rubber mount it to the pan. Hopefully will be a bit quieter than the old holley pump i had previously. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
ignore the dodgy bulkhead as it hadnt been repaired yet [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #211 on: December 21, 2019, 21:42:59 pm »

Hopefully the car will see a little track action (if we have any drag strips left  Angry ) so fitting thicker torsion bars and uprated spring plates to stiffen the rear end [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2019, 22:02:00 pm »

Made a bracket for the line-lock and made up some brake pipes [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
stevenery

« Reply #213 on: December 24, 2019, 10:37:12 am »

Really enjoying the build Jay and thought that has gone into all the small details - is this just a hobby or do you have an engineering background? Also, being London based are there any meets you know of or attend? Only ask as I've just moved here myself.

Thanks,
Steven
jay c

« Reply #214 on: December 26, 2019, 09:27:57 am »

Thanks Steven ,really appreciate it. It’s just a self taught hobby and me and my brother have no background in engineering in any form at all. Learnt everything from books ,dvds (Ron Covells metalworking DVD’s are awesome) and talking to people who know what they’re doing. The buiild threads on here have helped to pick up tips too.
Due to being in the garage so much most weekends for the last few years building this car and now helping on my brothers build we haven’t got to as many shows as we’d like but hope to get to more soon.
Where about in London have you moved to?
jay c

« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2020, 23:40:51 pm »

Managed to track down a Thunderbird dual muffler but wanted to do a few mods to get it to sit exactly how i wanted [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2020, 23:45:18 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2020, 23:51:59 pm »

Think it sits nice [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2020, 23:56:43 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
stevenery

« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2020, 18:44:47 pm »

Thanks Steven ,really appreciate it. It’s just a self taught hobby and me and my brother have no background in engineering in any form at all. Learnt everything from books ,dvds (Ron Covells metalworking DVD’s are awesome) and talking to people who know what they’re doing. The buiild threads on here have helped to pick up tips too.
Due to being in the garage so much most weekends for the last few years building this car and now helping on my brothers build we haven’t got to as many shows as we’d like but hope to get to more soon.
Where about in London have you moved to?

I'm nearby Clapham Common, but don't have a VW...yet! I'll have a search about Ron Covell as metalworking does interest me - had been meaning to look at part-time courses locally. In any case, I went to the New Years Day meet at Brooklands which was great. I believe the Ace Cafe have a VW night, so will gauge interest with my dad about driving his Beetle down when the weathers nicer.

jay c

« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2020, 18:41:43 pm »

Just a pic of mine and Mattys because i think it looks cool Cool [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
H67bug

« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2020, 21:17:11 pm »

Cool pic!
Straight Time

« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2020, 17:24:35 pm »

just read through this.

inspired

Great job

No retreat, No surrender !
jay c

« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2020, 18:17:03 pm »

Was time to show the old engine some love. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Fitted some short IDA manifolds from Udo Becker and some genuine cylinder tins to replace the poorly fitting repro's [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2020, 18:33:12 pm »

Fuel regulator was fitted quite low as i wanted the fuel lines to sit parallel to the ground. Damn OCD [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Mounting for the breather box fitted [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2020, 18:38:38 pm »

Looks alright [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2020, 22:55:56 pm »

Nice job Wink I miss reading such good build thread!

Hongkongphooey

« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2020, 14:12:11 pm »

Looks great  Cool, is that a Fast Fab Breather Box? Looking to get one for mine but was not sure if it would clear the Fan housing & IDF's..

jay c

« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2020, 22:14:15 pm »

Nice job Wink I miss reading such good build thread!
Thanks Nico
jay c

« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2020, 22:16:26 pm »

Looks great  Cool, is that a Fast Fab Breather Box? Looking to get one for mine but was not sure if it would clear the Fan housing & IDF's..

yes it is a fast fab breather. Fits ok behind IDA's so should be fine with IDF's
jay c

« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2020, 22:18:55 pm »

jay c

« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2020, 22:30:40 pm »

My short IDA manifolds are the universal type where you can fit the carb either way round. i know what way i'm fitting them so will reshape the manifolds to suit [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
more like this [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2020, 22:52:06 pm »

Engine mock up with 12v 90mm generator (Porsche 356 style) and early pie tin backing plate [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
and my Cirello magneto. Really don't like the look or fit of the rear engine tin.I know its repro but i was sure we could make one that looked and fitted better than that [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #233 on: February 29, 2020, 23:14:49 pm »

So we cut a piece for the rear engine tin and bent the edges over a wooden buck to get the shape. Matty hammer and dollied the edges to neaten them up. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Can see the buck in the background [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #234 on: February 29, 2020, 23:22:31 pm »

Back on the buck to check the shape is still good [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Cut to size and trial fitted [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #235 on: February 29, 2020, 23:37:31 pm »

For the second part of the rear tin our trusty shrinker and stretcher was put to use [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The 2 pieces together [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
and welded [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
karl h

« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2020, 11:50:39 am »

that looks neat!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:53:44 am by karl h » Logged

jay c

« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2020, 18:14:43 pm »

Thanks Karl
jay c

« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2020, 22:21:39 pm »

For the pocket under the pulley i decided use the one from another rear tin as it fitted perfectly. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
jay c

« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2020, 22:29:19 pm »

The piece of tin that goes over the pulley needed a bit of trimming and shaping to work with my Berg equalizer pulley [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: