The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 20:40:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Pank II dragster/ now with new name "Screwed"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Pank II dragster/ now with new name "Screwed"  (Read 14819 times)
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 13:17:12 pm »

Ahhh guys!  Trying to brain wash me that I do not need intercoolers with methanol.
No, I do not need it, BUT I am convinced I can gain HP with them and this versus the added weight of the dragster.
Now, for simplicity and lower boost this year, I will start without them..... :-)
Plus, from today, any methanol high boost engine I see in history, being successful with intercooler, I will start posting it here until you beg me to stop.... ha ha!

You do absolutely not need a intercooler with methanol. I would also consider not using a intercooler with ethanol.

I like the Cleetus Mc Farland youtube channel. He and his team of happy campers build hillbilly style cars and engines and fix the issues as they appear. Currently they are attending a Drag Week event with both their cars. Both without intercooler. Leroy is a 7 second car and Ruby runs deep into 8`s. Here is day 4 of drag week:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykX4B-KOjYQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ykX4B-KOjYQ</a>

Keep on with the good work Frallan - love it!

-BB-

Wrong.. They both have water to air intercoolers below the top hat Smiley

But the channel rocks  Cool

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 15:00:25 pm »

I stand corrected: Shearer Fabrications Hi-Ram intercooler. But that does not change the fact that Frallan doesn’t need one  Cheesy

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Frallan

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 20:50:11 pm »

"Need" Huh?
Please help me define need.
I might not need it but it will add power in the way I use it as I increase my boost.
But for my 32-35 psi in 2019, no, not really a need.

Please also take very careful attention to details on how the methanol is used.
Where is it injected?
If in any case is injected "upstreams" it does use it´s latent evaporation to best use. This is 95% of the solutions you will see.

If it is not, and injected only just above the valve, it will not use it´s properties of evaporation well.
This is the scenario which is very seldom seen and being my case.

Frallan

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 21:45:19 pm »

Nice youtube entertainment!
Thanks!
Sure they run ice intercooler with boost turned on. BUT, not to be compared as it is gasoline.

Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 22:49:53 pm »

Nice youtube entertainment!
Thanks!
Sure they run ice intercooler with boost turned on. BUT, not to be compared as it is gasoline.

Both C5s run Ignite E90.

Leroy (the body less car) ran 8.20s without the water pump to the IC turned on..

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
Frallan

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 11:26:44 am »

End talking and up to evidence. A friend sent me this.
How suitable for me.
I guess I was not the only one convinced intercoolers on injected methanol is useful....

Comments to this? :-)

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/watch-the-folts-and-shuch-air-cooled-vw-dragster-make-its-first-200mph-pass-and-the-second-in-air-cooled-vw-history/?fbclid=IwAR2E3CLiVT1aOyon31hZFmxhQmxFG2BcimvvHjNZIzjYghv4Kv1pyY4zcKk

Frallan

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 11:36:09 am »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Interesting:
- Nitrous nozzle too
- Distributor...nothing extra fancy here.

Airspeed

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2019, 19:37:03 pm »

I tend to agree with you Fredrik. Compressed air gets hot. Methanol resists detonation very well, but cooler air still takes in less space then hot air and if the methanol isn't injected far away from the valves, but close to the valves, the intake air must still be pretty hot entering the engine and intercooling would make a lot of sense to me also.
Dense air and detonation resistant are two different things. Meth can obviously do both, but not always is what your saying right?

Still, what do I know about methanol or ethanol as I stay away from the stuff best I can  Grin

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
richie

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2019, 20:23:14 pm »

Lots still do, I get it more in the intense heat of a So cal summer with 60psi of boost  Shocked like that dragster but in northern europe not so much Wink Methanol needs a decent amount of temperature to evaporate and light, I have had it on colder days when lambda and egts show it is struggling to do so and fuel drops out of suspension in my opinion.

Also its more about the weight/hp gain than just hp, will it make more hp with an intercooler, yes but does it add enough to counteract the weight increase? a intercooler core to support more than 1000hp is pretty big and heavy!!!!

Nitrous nozzle is just used to spool on transbrake  Wink

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Frallan

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 10:07:57 am »

Curious question Richie; are you running electronic fuel injection and only injecting above the valves?

Fully agree on the balance of weight vs. HP gain.

The nitrous injection on my car when I ran it in Denmark was exactly set up like that. Only on transbrake and had disconnect setup at 15 psi boost. It had 2 X 25 hp nozzles.
Now, I was seriously surprised at how my engine spooled up to 25+ psi at just touch of the revs against the transbrake. Video on page one of this thread.
Had my little 5 lbs nitrous bottle loaded but never used it.

Frallan

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 10:09:04 am »

Thanks for the Paradise Express Lauffer car picture. I have not seen this prior.  Smiley

richie

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 18:05:20 pm »

Curious question Richie; are you running electronic fuel injection and only injecting above the valves?

Fully agree on the balance of weight vs. HP gain.

The nitrous injection on my car when I ran it in Denmark was exactly set up like that. Only on transbrake and had disconnect setup at 15 psi boost. It had 2 X 25 hp nozzles.
Now, I was seriously surprised at how my engine spooled up to 25+ psi at just touch of the revs against the transbrake. Video on page one of this thread.
Had my little 5 lbs nitrous bottle loaded but never used it.

Yes motec on one car and fueltech on 2 others now, 2 cars have single set of Moran 500lb injectors about 4inches up intake, the other car has 2 x 220lbs per runner, 1 injector above the other maybe 2 1/2inches further up runner.

So you didn't use nitrous at all to spool? seems it really depends on how tight convertor is to if it needs it or not

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 18:06:42 pm »

Thanks for the Paradise Express Lauffer car picture. I have not seen this prior.  Smiley

As far as I know it only appeared in that configuration once and we just happened to be at same race Smiley

Frallan

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2019, 22:27:56 pm »

So you didn't use nitrous at all to spool? seems it really depends on how tight convertor is to if it needs it or not.
No, that was very much to my surprise. We did many dry runs in my workshop and it was almost instant.
The video on page 1 was the first time and I spontaneously shouted "WTF".
On my second run in Denmark I did stage it and transbrake to 20 psi before letting go. Zero need for nitrous if it was not a very stressed stage situation and I think that would not be a problem.

The converter is a A1 steel bolted and stall approximately 5500-6000 rpm.

I will see if I find another video shot with me sitting in the seat and camera on the instruments.

Frallan

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2019, 22:34:35 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xBYZSfAntU

Now that I watch this again, again very surprising to see the response.
No nitrous.

I wish I knew how to convert it to slow speed but I think from 3-3500 and up to 5500-6000, the boost comes linear and direct.
Sitting in the workshop I did not dare to keep it against the stall. Anyway, I think you get the point?
No logger running either at this point. So only the video.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: